Reasons to be excited about Debord

And your reason(s) are...??? Your opinion, nothing more; nothing less. The easiest thing in the world to do is ctiticize another man's work. It requires ZERO talent.

Its called opinions and it is what a message board is for. So we, as the fan base, are not allowed to criticize Butch right? You're one of those fans huh?

Reactions: 2 people
This is VN so that means the sky is falling. If this weren't the age of the internet, you guys probably wouldn't even know anything about this guy. Fulmer hired an OC (Clawson) that implemented a different offense and look where it got him. Butch is getting someone he trusts to improve what he's been doing, he's not an idiot. Do you think Butch wants to screw up a $3 million a year gig? You whiners Butched and moaned for 2 years about Bajakian and Mahoney so Butch is making a change and nothing makes you happy. Give us a break from this crap. Something tells me this time next year you'll be singing his praises. Patience is a virtue and VN is the least patient place on the net.

Reactions: 5 people
With rumors of shuffling coaches around I bet this guy ends up coaching the O line

Um I am not sure if you know but we don't run out of the I. So why get excited over a dinosaur who likes to run an offense that is the opposite of what Butch has in place?

Exactly. We will be lucky to get a call in other than QB kneel and spike: the only two plays common to both coaches.

/blue font

This is dooleyesque type excuses, that I don't think we need. I think we should all just wait and see but I also realize the point of a message board is to discuss things and this hire doesn't appear good on the surface. I'm on board though. Our recruiting classes make me believe it will be hard for us to not win at least 8 games next year. Just hope DeBord pans out.

Unless Butch is just making him a co-coordinator then we shouldn't expect the offense to be anything better than average to below average. The rest of the SEC is probably laughing their butts off at this hire. :sad:

The rest of the SEC laughed there butts off when we hired a no-name coach from Cincy with a bunch of coaches from up north that would never be able to recruit in the south too.

Now they are afraid. We all know, just look at the b****in they are doing. Every sports channel talking us up. Almost every recruit in America at least will listen to us and come in for a visit. Their recruits are not safe from us. The teams we play know the last few years were an anomaly and they are going to have to deal with the VOLS once again.

Not excited bout this hire but there is one thing that does, his coaching of the Oline.. What was our weak link last year? We all know.. So with the line coming back and all the new big uglies. I can accept this hire and not freak out totally, lol GBO..

Sorry guys. "...criticize..."

Was actually able to give you two "likes" to your first post since you corrected. good statement.

Everyone seems so quick to criticize this hire (and CBJ) based strictly on his Michigan resume. He had a head coach he had to answer to there...just as he now has CBJ to answer to. TOTALLY different dynamics. Different schemes. Different everything because it's the head coach that determines the schemes. Who's to say that CMD won't be an outstanding OC simply because he's in Butch's scheme now instead of Lloyd Carr's.

Different dynamic. And from what everyone else says...he is excellent in the run game and oline...both great needs for us.

Unless Butch is just making him a co-coordinator then we shouldn't expect the offense to be anything better than average to below average. The rest of the SEC is probably laughing their butts off at this hire. :sad:

How funny. Some of us are laughing our butts off at your idiotic post. HA!!!

Reactions: 1 person
reasons to be excited?

There is absolutely no possible way play calling can be as bland as it was last season...

...OR, no possible way he would call 3 straight QB runs, late in a game when you have a lead with your starting QB in.

I stand corrected. Thanks! Nevertheless, Carr credited DeBord with devising the game plan. See my earlier post in this thread.

I agree with you. I just didn't want those who shall remain nameless to give credit to RR for the O for that game.

I don't know if anyone posted it or not, but he must have been pretty good at helping mold QB's. His QB at Michigan was none other than Tom Brady.

I'll just sum it up this way "In Butch We Trust". If Butch doesn't know what he's doing then who does? Adding this new class of recruits is going to be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

What a terrible hire

Based on what? Don't say age because he is 58 (even though looks old) and don't say because he has been out of coaching because no one wants him... Just like Fulmer he got the phone call for jobs but didn't jump on them. He took the jobs he wanted.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll just sum it up this way "In Butch We Trust". If Butch doesn't know what he's doing then who does? Adding this new class of recruits is going to be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Did Butch know what he was doing in same game management errors last season? When he tried to keep Dobbs off the field all year? Why cant we like and support the guy and team yet question a hire? He is not perfect.

I don't know why everyone thinks this is the worst hire. He has a good OC resume and I believe we can use some of his style into our offense. I hope we do run a little one back and I formations some...we need to get some more momentum for the run game.

Did Butch know what he was doing in same game management errors last season? When he tried to keep Dobbs off the field all year? Why cant we like and support the guy and team yet question a hire? He is not perfect.

I'm suspecting and this is just a guess. 1. He didn't know in advanced that his starting QB was going to get injured. 2. He didn't want to burn Dobbs red shirt, because he knew he had something special. 3. The offensive line was still young and he didn't want to throw Dobbs in till he thought they were ready.

I’m excited about DeBord because Butch has everything to lose and still thinks DeBord is the best for the University Football Program.

Obviously there are plenty of reasons to not be too happy with this hire. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a "boom" hire by any means. Truth be told, it's not really anything to be excited about. But I was reading an article recently (that I'm sure has been linked here already several times, but it's really long so I doubt everyone read it) that's I'm going to post some excerpts from that may make us all feel a little better.

-DeBord was one of the few coaches Jones mentioned as an influence when he was hired at UT in late 2012.

-Michigan went undefeated in 1997 – claiming an AP national title with DeBord calling the offense.

-(On his tenure at CMU) But while the defense was his undoing in many respects, DeBord did develop a strong rushing attack, hovering around the 200-yard per game average his final two seasons there.

-In the Mike DeBord era, the running game has always been the staple of this offense. Despite the one-back look often used, they are most effective when lining up in the “I” and running it right at a defense.

-Quote from Debord: “Our offense will be built to control the ball. We cannot have turnovers or penalties.”

-Carr, after a disappointing 7-5 season, again turned to DeBord to replace Terry Malone. DeBord helped stabilize the offense, installing a zone-blocking scheme that was more friendly to Michigan’s personnel (and is something UT uses a lot under Jones currently), helping the Wolverines get back in the top-10 with an 11-2 overall season that ended with a loss in the Rose Bowl.

-You can check off the boxes of play-calling experience, NFL ties and head-coaching experience with DeBord.

-DeBord specializes in the offensive line, the run game and physical football – all things that Tennessee wants to improve upon.

-DeBord’s switch to the zone-blocking philosophy in 2006 and some adjustments later in his career at Michigan makes the thought of him jumping in to lead UT’s offense a little bit more understandable. Perhaps Jones sees this as an opportunity to further intertwine the spread principles that are in place with him and his current staff with some downhill, pro-style running elements that could make UT’s offense with the likes of Jalen Hurd, Alvin Kamara and Joshua Dobbs running the ball, very tough to stop.

-While blind, unquestioning support of a head coach and his moves isn’t healthy for a fan base, Jones has clearly done enough right in Knoxville to gain the benefit of the doubt when making this hire. Some of the coaches he brought originally were questioned at large by fans and media alike, only to become essential parts of helping rebuild a program that is on a significantly better trajectory than it was just a couple years ago.

Just something to think about...... maybe not all hope is lost necessarily.

Good post. We'll soon find out what he can do for the VOLS.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back