Reality Check

I do NOT want to write him off or even criticize the young man, but NOT understanding the EXTREME hype about Hurd? Good kid, great athlete but just don’t see the hype! Not built like any excellent running back ESPECIALLY in the SEC (in fact I’m afraid he’s gonna break sometime during the tough season). Look at Fournette, look at ‘Bama’s runnin backs, in fact look at nearly ALL the SEC’s backs (Gurley) and tell me this guy is gonna excel in the SEC? Huge VFL, and hope I’m wrong but so far Lane has shown me more! In fact were I him (Lane) I would be VERY disappointed in seeing Hurd getting more reps!

"Unique" analysis alert folks!...scattershooting wondering why these "too tall and frail" bulletpoints weren't ferreted out by any our esteemed evaluators. :hmm:

post less often... Bama's running backs are 6'1 and 6'4...Jalen is 6'3... how are bama's RB's going to excel...oh,I know,that very good OL they have...where do some of you people come from?

This is gonna be FUN!!! I see this site is FULL of smart Asses!! Im aware of the lack of a line, but in case some of you morons aren't aware the HEIGHT f a running back has nothing to do with his effectiveness! Where do YOU come from SA? Why don't YOU not post AT ALL!!!!

"Unique" analysis alert folks!...scattershooting wondering why these "too tall and frail" bulletpoints weren't ferreted out by any our esteemed evaluators. :hmm:

THAT is a good question! I hope I'm wrong (as I said before), and I have to eat pounds of crow, but I was wondering where his impressive stats were compiled. Hopefully a strong high school classification. Also I wonder how many coaches get "stars" in their eyes over the ratings of these guys.

Hurd has been compared to Eddie George, a running back that can consistently get 4 yds per carry and has exceptionable blocking ability. Rarely did George break out for large gains (in the NFL). I think toward Hurd's sophomore/junior/senior season, you start to see more impressive aspects to his game that people were expecting from him.

post less often... Bama's running backs are 6'1 and 6'4...Jalen is 6'3... how are bama's RB's going to excel...oh,I know,that very good OL they have...where do some of you people come from?

One more thing brainiac.......there was more to my post! These athletes have a lot of pride and Lane has worked his a__ off for years (especially I have read since last year) and now gets his final shot only to see in the first two games an untested freshman getting more reps while having fewer yds per carry!!

THAT is a good question! I hope I'm wrong (as I said before), and I have to eat pounds of crow, but I was wondering where his impressive stats were compiled. Hopefully a strong high school classification. Also I wonder how many coaches get "stars" in their eyes over the ratings of these guys.

rcvol was a better username IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Hurd has been compared to Eddie George, a running back that can consistently get 4 yds per carry and has exceptionable blocking ability. Rarely did George break out for large gains (in the NFL). I think toward Hurd's sophomore/junior/senior season, you start to see more impressive aspects to his game that people were expecting from him.

That is a good point and I certainly hope it proves to be the case but with all due respect 1) we both know anybody/anything can be compared to....well....anybody/anything! SHOW ME RESULTS and 2) Have seen MANY much less hyped freshmen starting RB's be WAY more impressive against WAY BETTER competition, that's all.

1. Pearson and Wolfe injured, prognosis not yet known.
Reality Check: Receiver is our deepest and most talented position group. Downs, Helm and even Croom can easily cover the TE responsibilities.
2. O-line still in question, and already down a man(Gillium, sp?)
Reality Check: Coleman has looked good early in practice, even holding down the 1st team RT spot until Jashon moved over, but hasn't yet seen the field, he's only going to get better. Blair is still in the 2 deep and will push, maybe beat out Kendrick. Kendrick, BTW, didn't look too bad in his first start.
3. D-Line is dangerously thin.
Reality Check: Unless CBJ is wanting to redshirt them, there's still a few more linemen we haven't seen yet, Hendrix and Sawyers come to mind, that are developing. I expect Sawyers will get more and more reps as the season goes on. Hendrix will probable redshirt.
4. Running game looks stagnant.
Reality Check: Hurd got more carries and yards and is on the verge of a breakout. Lane is still a solid back and there's some new backs that can pitch in too. (Derrell Scott)
Throw is another solid recruiting class, packed with solid linemen, and the future looks bright.
Its gonna be fun watching CBJ build this program back up! It's a great time to be a VOL!!!

How about a fact check instead ..afterward ,go copy someone's trig homework.

Reactions: 1 person
This is gonna be FUN!!! I see this site is FULL of smart Asses!! Im aware of the lack of a line, but in case some of you morons aren't aware the HEIGHT f a running back has nothing to do with his effectiveness! Where do YOU come from SA? Why don't YOU not post AT ALL!!!!

you are the moron comparing how he is built and compared him to bama's RB's,UGA's rb's,Fournette, etc...UGA's and Bama's RB's aren't built anywhere close to each other...Hurd is built closer to Bama's RB's than any other...he is closer to Eric Dickerson than Eddie George...so what is your point again since you are comparing how they are built and then change it to production? those RB's wouldn't have any stats either their 1st 2 games with the way our OL is blocking in the run game... so I can't wait for some more of your "unique" analysis and not even knowing why he was a 5* recruit...you might want to do some research before posting...

you are the moron comparing how he is built and compared him to bama's RB's,UGA's rb's,Fournette, etc...UGA's and Bama's RB's aren't built anywhere close to each other...Hurd is built closer to Bama's RB's than any other...he is closer to Eric Dickerson than Eddie George...so what is your point again since you are comparing how they are built and then change it to production? those RB's wouldn't have any stats either their 1st 2 games with the way our OL is blocking in the run game... so I can't wait for some more of your "unique" analysis and not even knowing why he was a 5* recruit...you might want to do some research before posting...

Guess I'll take my Mama's advice and not argue with an idiot, people listening may not can tell which one is which. Apparently you are unable to understand what I am saying. Come back and say "I told you so" after he shows something.

he's played 2 freaking games,and you want him to show YOU something with a porous OL that hasn't opened up a good hole for ANY RB...
if the OL will open a hole and he can get to the 2nd level,you will see"something"...

Reactions: 1 person

If you knew anything about the kid...which I don't think you do....you would know a little bit about his high school career. CBJ doesn't "star gaze"...it's a proven fact that he will recruit three stars and two stars if he believes they will be good contributors. You should know that if your a VOL fan.

Lane has proven himself as an effective runner...even he is struggling due to the inability of our o-line to get a "manly" push against the defense, but they are young and I'm not knocking them, just hope they hurry up and gel. Jalen is the one who has to prove himself at the college level and the coaches are trying to get him there and get him ready.....that is why he is getting lots of reps. Oh, and the fact that our RB depth isn't great is a huge factor as well.

Reactions: 2 people
Jalen looked better in the second game to me especially blocking. I don't get how you can watch the game and say he is playing bad when he gets met at or behind the LOS 3/4 times he gets the ball. Hurd has been getting some tough yards and I haven't seen him fall backwards hardly any. Put Yeldon, Gurley, Drake, who ever behind this line and see how many big runs they break. I think Hurd will be fine with a little more time and hopefully much improved blocking.
I do think that the coaches may have to start calling a different style of run every now and then if they keep blocking like this.

One more thing brainiac.......there was more to my post! These athletes have a lot of pride and Lane has worked his a__ off for years (especially I have read since last year) and now gets his final shot only to see in the first two games an untested freshman getting more reps while having fewer yds per carry!!

@Volquest_Rivals: Butch Jones on Hurd/Lane: You guys need to stop looking into that stuff. We just play who we think is running the ball well.

Butch on how the carries are distributed between the 2.

VN Store

Back