Raspberry Pi

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
A buddy of mine just picked one of these up and I'm curious if anyone here has one and, if so, what types of things you use it for.

I've never heard of it, I'll have to Google.

This guy spent a lot of time making this video so I'll just put this here.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKpqmkpkyOA[/youtube]

I use my Sony Blu-ray device to play back all the videos on my Linux box, while Kodi (formerly XBMC) is running on my Linux box. I can stream HD over a wireless G connection inside my home. Works really well too.

A buddy of mine just picked one of these up and I'm curious if anyone here has one and, if so, what types of things you use it for.
I don't use the raspberry but I do use it's older brother. Arduino uno. Basically a programmable micro controller. Great educationional tool. I use mine coupled with servos on a tripod for photography purposes. Just Google arduino or adafruit. Fascinating stuff for your inner geek.

I don't use the raspberry but I do use it's older brother. Arduino uno. Basically a programmable micro controller. Great educationional tool. I use mine coupled with servos on a tripod for photography purposes. Just Google arduino or adafruit. Fascinating stuff for your inner geek.

Never heard of it. I'll check it out, though. Sounds interesting.

How do you use it in photography? (I'm not familiar with the term servos.)

I use my Sony Blu-ray device to play back all the videos on my Linux box, while Kodi (formerly XBMC) is running on my Linux box. I can stream HD over a wireless G connection inside my home. Works really well too.

That's a cool setup. I haven't messed with XBMC in years. Obviously you have a BLu-ray player that allows streaming. Is that a feature on a lot of players these days?

Never heard of it. I'll check it out, though. Sounds interesting.

How do you use it in photography? (I'm not familiar with the term servos.)
I have an intervalometer on my camera. Basically it takes pictures at timed intervals. I geared a tripod in x and y axis. The arduino controls little precise servo motors that when programmed correctly will follow an object across the sky, taking pictures as it goes. The limit on these little microcontroller is ones imagination. Every HS science lab in the country should be exposing our youth to them.

I have an intervalometer on my camera. Basically it takes pictures at timed intervals. I geared a tripod in x and y axis. The arduino controls little precise servo motors that when programmed correctly will follow an object across the sky, taking pictures as it goes. The limit on these little microcontroller is ones imagination. Every HS science lab in the country should be exposing our youth to them.

Sounds interesting. Is this something related to your line of work or just a hobby?

Sounds interesting. Is this something related to your line of work or just a hobby?

Just a hobby. I'm also revamping an old Dejur 8mm film projector to transfer film to digital. Basically the microcontroller will advance the film one frame at a time, trigger a digital camera, then advance the film. I have yet to perfect this process but as a hobby, it keeps this old mind grinding. These microcontrollers, the arduino and the rasberry pi, are relatively inexpensive to get started with but offer a multitude of uses for the budding and advanced tinkerer.
I hate to be a shill for other websites but Adafruit has a ton of shields and projects to give you some idea of how and what they can do.

My brother got one for Christmas, I'll ask him what he uses it for later today.

Funny you should bring this up now. I've been looking at these arduinos for the last month or so trying to come up with a way to use it as a home security system. They have the arduino shields that can send text or email messages if an input goes high. The products are cheap, the time factor is the main thing. Finding the time to tinker with it enough to get it going is the hard part.

Funny you should bring this up now. I've been looking at these arduinos for the last month or so trying to come up with a way to use it as a home security system. They have the arduino shields that can send text or email messages if an input goes high. The products are cheap, the time factor is the main thing. Finding the time to tinker with it enough to get it going is the hard part.

Instructables.com has a few arduino based security systems built and coded. Give it a look see. Pretty simple to use motion sensors to trip a web cam or an alarm. Problem you may run into is length of USB cable to power your unit and to transmit the captured images to your computer. Wireless is also an option but your added sensor and the coding will be a bit more technical. Plus you will need to power the camera.

That's a cool setup. I haven't messed with XBMC in years. Obviously you have a BLu-ray player that allows streaming. Is that a feature on a lot of players these days?

Most of them. They usually have DLNA enabled by default, so you can communicate with other DLNA servers.

I used an Arduino as a datalogger for a stormwater monitoring project in undergrad (senior engineering design project). A Banana Board is another option.

Can't decide what I want to do with my Raspberry Pi. Bought it to mess around with a few years ago. So far I've only loaded Raspbian, but there are a few projects I might try.

VN Store

Back