Ranking the top 10 returning LBs in the SEC for 2017

Dk had about the same amount of tackles as Skai in 2015. They both got hurt in 2016. That is my point. Also coming back from an ACL is always iffy...Chubb is a good example.

So Skai got a pass but DK was grounded (pun intended).

Moore had 110 tackles in 2015 (compared to DKJr's 66) in 12 games, which is as many as DKJr has in his career here in 21 games. He also has been beyond outstanding in pass defense with 11 career interceptions as a linebacker. And again, he was 2nd team All-SEC in 2015. If you're comparing resumes for a list like this, it's hands down Moore.

Reactions: 2 people
Kirkland should have easily been on the list. Injured or not, he's a very talented LB that will be a star this upcoming season.

Kirkland should have easily been on the list. Injured or not, he's a very talented LB that will be a star this upcoming season.

Agree he should've made ahead of at least 2, probably 3 of these guys, certainly ahead of the Greenlaw kid at Arky imo. Just not ahead of Skai Moore.

The saddest thing about this thread is that after all of the "great" recruiting... UT only has one LB that we can even argue about being on that list.

Reactions: 4 people
the only reason is the injury.. kids a beast in all formats..

Has great potential, all the tools to be outstanding. Just hasn't done enough yet to be considered one of the very best linebackers yet in a conference full of outstanding linebackers imo.

Development has been very poor there

Maybe. Or maybe Jones and staff simply didn't know how to recruit LB's... and maybe CB's.

I respect KB but I'm not sure that Jones and the previous editions of the BSiA didn't leave Shoop in as bad of a hole as the one Jones inherited from Dooley. There are basically two LB's who look SEC worthy and maybe no CB's.

Maybe. Or maybe Jones and staff simply didn't know how to recruit LB's... and maybe CB's.

I respect KB but I'm not sure that Jones and the previous editions of the BSiA didn't leave Shoop in as bad of a hole as the one Jones inherited from Dooley. There are basically two LB's who look SEC worthy and maybe no CB's.

We agree on the poor linebacker situation we find ourselves currently in, whether it be due to poor recruiting , poor player development or a mixture of both. I personally think it's more towards player development.

The biggest issue I had with Shoop last year was just how poor our defense looked across the board fundamentally. We tackled poorly, we NEVER set the edge with DEs, LBs or CBs and our DB play was just dreadful outside of a game or two, primarily when Abernathy played really well.....TKJr, while fairly solid with a good nose for the ball, is just physically limited in what he can do. The fact that they couldn't get Warrior up to speed, developed and on the field for a majority of the season was extremely troubling to me...he's by far the most athletic and has all the tools to be a big-time playmaker/all-SEC caliber player imo, yet, he didn't play.

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry to disappoint everyone. But, anything resembling a T on the helmet would preclude any LB from making such a list.

Kirkland didn't look the same upon return. But, honestly our LB play was soooo bad down the stretch, that you can't blame the omission. Maybe it was tacle play, but it was still terrible.

That said, I believe Kirkland, Sapp, McDowell, Bituli and others surprise in 17'.

Last edited:
Agree. Thig can recruit his tail off, but not much progression from that group. And don't be surprised if Butuli turns out to be the best of the bunch.

I dont know if I can agree with the statement aout Thig being able to recruit his tail off. Has he really recruited THAT well since he has been here?

We agree on the poor linebacker situation we find ourselves currently in, whether it be due to poor recruiting , poor player development or a mixture of both. I personally think it's more towards player development.

The biggest issue I had with Shoop last year was just how poor our defense looked across the board fundamentally. We tackled poorly, we NEVER set the edge with DEs, LBs or CBs and our DB play was just dreadful outside of a game or two, primarily when Abernathy played really well.....TKJr, while fairly solid with a good nose for the ball, is just physically limited in what he can do. The fact that they couldn't get Warrior up to speed, developed and on the field for a majority of the season was extremely troubling to me...he's by far the most athletic and has all the tools to be a big-time playmaker/all-SEC caliber player imo, yet, he didn't play.

I guess where we differ is that Shoop has proven himself on a big stage with limited talent. Jones hasn't. Shoop's success has come running the 4-3 almost exclusively with a "spur" type of Will. Somewhat like Chavis' at UT, Shoop's D's seem to set the LB's up to make a lot of plays.... and he didn't have playmaking LB's to work with... then the only two he did have were injured.

I'm willing to give him more of a pass than Jones at this point. UT would have been short LB's even if they still ran a 4-2-5 base.

I dont know if I can agree with the statement aout Thig being able to recruit his tail off. Has he really recruited THAT well since he has been here?

Prior to the 2017 class, 8 4-stars and 4 3-stars. That's pretty good, and to be sure, the linebacker corps hasn't performed like we've had 8 highly rated 4 star players in the program. JRM flashed greatness at times and DKJr has shown outstanding potential....and that's been about it.

Be reasonable folks.

Every SEC team will get a couple of good players now and then simply because they play in the SEC.

Even kenSucky and the Commode Doors will get a couple of good players because it's easier to recruit them

Come play for us and compete against SEC talent and as great as you are it will be easier on our team for you to get early playing time, what a easy sales pitch to a good player that wants to play a lot as a freshman and be a starter easily no later than as a soph, LOL!

Even a bad team in the SEC will get a few good players now and then and much of the time it's simply because they're in the SEC and can probably offer early playing time.

Ous Vols can't offer early playing time like we used to be able to do because the talent on our roster now is so much better than it was when buTch first got here.

Sometimes reality just sucks, LOL!

VFL...GBO!!!

KenSucky and Commode Doors? What are you, 10?

DO NOT SLEEP on Gavin Bryant, Austin Smith, or Will Ignant. One of these guys will separate themselves bigly

DO NOT SLEEP on Gavin Bryant, Austin Smith, or Will Ignant. One of these guys will separate themselves bigly

Bryant? 2 seasons, 5 tackles. He can't get on the field even though he's been battling poor competition at the linebacker spot to do so.

I could agree with you on Smith somewhat, but the coaches don't seem to know where to play him....is he a LB or DE?

We'll see about Ignont. Sure seems to talented and a bit of a can't miss player, but we all said and thought the same about Bates.

In wait and see mode.

Last edited:
Kirkland never regained his quickness and pursuit after the high ankle injury......although he was supposedly the Alpha Dog of the LB's after Maybin
Kirkland needs a big year in 2017

Go Vols

Bryant? 2 seasons, 5 tackles. He can't get on the field even though he's been battling poor competition at the linebacker spot to do so.

I could agree with you on Smith somewhat, but the coaches don't seem to know where to play him....is he a LB or DE?

We'll see about Ignont. Sure seems to talented and a bit of a can't miss player, but we all said and thought the same about Bates.

In wait and see mode.
Bryant has all of the tools and is the most physical LB we have. His problem is recognizing and reading. So far it's been a big problem that hopefully can be corrected.

I go with development. According to the infallible recruiting ratings system, we've recruited well.

Hard to imagine all of them have been misses.

Looking forward to seeing what happens at LB.

I'm much more concerned about what this list may look like in December, than I am with any list that comes out in February..

VN Store

Back