Randy Moss recalls Peyton recruiting him to Tennessee

I remember hearing that Keyshawn Johnson wanted to come to UT but Fulmer wouldn’t go near him. He was supposedly driving a very nice Lexus in high school and the coaching staff didn’t want that scrutiny.

Complete BS

I think his momma told him he got to take 3 visits. He chose OVs to TN, FL, and Notre Dame. He got arrested and most major schools pulled his offer. Marshall gave him a scholarship after his arrest. It's been a while since I've watched "Rand University" but he covers what circumstances happened prior to him playing at Marshall.

He was at Fla St before he went to Marshall

Reactions: 4 people
That 30 for 30 basically shows that Randy Moss only got out of Rand, West Virginia because he was not only a world class athlete but an all-time world class athlete. Had he just been a "normal" professional athlete, he woulda never ever ever gotten out . . . the cards were that stacked.

For instance, the fight that cost him the ND scholarship? Yeah, that's because he was getting called the N-word every two seconds and having it written on his desk and so on. One day, he did what we all would have hoped we'd do: he beat the hell out of the racist dude.

Then since he is on probation for beating up a racist, he gets caught with a tiny bit of weed. That costs him his FSU scholarship.

And so on and so on.

How do you not get jaded through that? When everyone dumps you at the drop of a hat?

It's a remarkable story. An American Tragedy, really, despite happy ending.

Reactions: 4 people
Mixed bag of greatness. Was known to take plays off...sometimes games and got drummed out of Minnesota and Oakland. Never sabotaged his teams tho and that’s why he didn’t get the TO treatment.

The HOF isnt about character issues. Never has been. Its a numbers thing. TO should have been first ballot easily. Just as Randy was. Moss was one of the best to ever play. My point being, his felony did absolutely nothing to tarnish his career.

Randy Moss had his problems when he was young, but it sure looks like he has turned it around. Has a big time TV job and does a pretty good job. He is country as hell, likes to fish, has that southern drawl and is likeable, to me, maybe for those reasons. I don't remember him getting in trouble, when he played in the NFL. I could be wrong. Plus, he balled out and deserves the Hall of Fame. Moss would have balled with Peyton at Tennessee.

Reactions: 2 people
A friend told me an interesting story last year. His firm sent him to a conference where PF was the keynote speaker.

At the end he did a Q&A with folks in the audience. One guy asked him what player got under his skin the most. Phil said he'd never speak ill of his former players.

He did say "I will tell you what recruit got under my skin the most...Randy Moss."

He said they had a big weekend lined up for Randy and he disappears a few minutes after they got there. For most of the weekend the coaches had no idea where he was. They were highly ticked as they'd made plans to roll out the red carpet. He did show for a basketball game but disappeared again shortly after.

The coaches felt this was a huge red flag and had never had a player just vanish for almost the entire trip. He didn't see the facilities, ask about the offense...nothing.

Phil had made plans to travel back with Randy and do an in home visit with his mother. So Randy shows up (late of course) on Sunday ready to go back home with CPF.

According to CPF, they get on the plane and Randy won't talk to him, just sits there with his Walkman and headphones. So Phil picks up a paper to kill time on the rest of the flight.

In a couple minutes Randy gets up, crosses the aisle and takes the newspaper out if CPF's hands. Without saying a word, Randy returns to his seat to read the paper.

The plane lands and both get up and walk to the front if the plane. Phil said "there's a car to take you home, have a good one."

Perplexed, Randy looks at him and said "Ain't you coming to see my Mom?"

Phil replies "If I didn't have enough players left to put 11 men on the field I wouldn't offer you a spot on my team. Best of luck."

Last edited:
A friend told me an interesting story last year. His firm sent him to a conference where PF was the keynote speaker.

At the end he did a Q&A with folks in the audience. One guy asked him what player got under his skin the most. Phil said he'd never speak ill of his former players.

He did say "I will tell you what recruit got under my skin the most...Randy Moss."

He said they had a big weekend lined up for Randy and he disappears a few minutes after they got there. For most of the weekend the coaches had no idea where he was. They were highly ticked as they'd made plans to roll out the red carpet. He did show for a basketball game but disappeared again shortly after.

The coaches felt this was a huge red flag and had never had a player just vanish for almost the entire trip. He didn't see the facilities, ask about the offense...nothing.

Phil had made plans to travel back with Randy and do an in home visit with his mother. So Randy shows up (late of course) on Sunday ready to go back home with CPF.

According to CPF, they get on the plane and Randy won't talk to him, just sits there with his Walkman and headphones. So Phil picks up a paper to kill time on the rest of the flight.

In a couple minutes Randy gets up, crosses the aisle and takes the newspaper out if CPF's hands. Without saying a word, Randy returns to his seat to read the paper.

The plane lands and both get up and walk to the front if the plane. Phil said "there's a car to take you home, have a good one."

Perplexed, Randy looks at him and said "Ain't you coming to see my Mom?"

Phil replies "If I did have enough players left to put 11 men on the field I wouldn't offer you a spot on my team. Best of luck."

Nice story. Does your friend tend to embellish? Just curious; it does have the ring of truth, and if true it shows PF is not one to suffer fools...

Nice story. Does your friend tend to embellish? Just curious; it does have the ring of truth, and if true it shows PF is not one to suffer fools...

He doesn't. Now I didn't hear it first hand, but he's always been the most honest guy I've known for the last 20 years. The event was held in Asheville, NC.

VN Store

Back