Random Rumblings

If I had to pick just ONE goal for this upcoming season, it would be to win the SEC tourney. We have struggled mightily there for years. Winning it would not only get that monkey off our backs finally, but would give us great momentum heading into the post season. Winning championships in BB is all about playing well at the right time.

UCONN and Kemba approve of this message.

If I had to pick just ONE goal for this upcoming season, it would be to win the SEC tourney. We have struggled mightily there for years. Winning it would not only get that monkey off our backs finally, but would give us great momentum heading into the post season. Winning championships in BB is all about playing well at the right time.

All about the mo.

Oh, and this

550641_4254443652170_670001446_n.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
Just my two cents, but at the open practice I thought Edwards looked slow. It may have just been me but he didn't look as athletic as some of the other wing players and the release on his shot took a long time. I don't see him taking too many minutes from Josh Richardson.

He's not as fast as McRae, but he's a lot more solid. In regards to Richardson...Edwards is bigger, stronger, a better shot, better passer...and a hell Of a lot better rebounder. Edwards will get 20-25 minutes a game, Richardson definitely won't see that.

IF Stokes stays for one more year, it will make him and Hubbs both alot of money. I don't think people actually comprehend how difficult we would be to guard. Both are worthy of double teams but, you can't double both. This will allow one or the other to be one on one. Pick your poison. Then through in a matchup nightmare at the 3 like JW3. JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ!

One of my favorite rappers, Ab-Soul, says in one of his songs that "Sometimes I like to go on a tangent of random ****." This is what this post is. Random **** about UT basketball. Let's go:

1. For a non-regular basketball fan, I don't think people understand how good Robert Hubbs is. He's got a chance to be a lottery pick in a couple years in the NBA draft. He gives UT an explosive scoring, two way player that can get into the paint and wants to drive the ball to the basket. He can also shoot. He's a complete player.

2. With Hubbs' and Davis' commitments, everyone is talking about 2013-2014 season. And rightfully so. Has a chance to be special for UT. But I truly believe this upcoming year can be special too. So much experience coming back, and UT's starting five can match with almost anyone's in the country. If Kenny Hall can keep his head into the season and Yemi continues to improve (and those are big questions) UT might have a top five frontcourt in the country.

3. Everyone is excited about Jarnell Stokes, and people are getting exciting what they are hearing from Jordan McRae, but I honestly believe Trae Golden is going to have a monster season. He's lost weight and is quicker, and I think he's going to be committed to defense for the entire year.

4. People were concerned when Cuonzo was hired that he wouldn't bring an "exciting" style of offense to the Hill. I felt this was overblown and I think the commitments of Davis and Hubbs, along with the recruitment of JW3, shows that Cuonzo wants athletes. Tennessee isn't going to average 80 points a game in the Cuonzo Martin era, but it really doesn't matter. I expect UT to push the tempo a little bit in the coming years.

5. UT's biggest weakness this coming year? Consistency from the wings. If I gave a grade last year, I felt it was a C- for the wing players last year. Nobody was consistent. This is where I think D'Montre Edwards is going to help. He's not going to be a big scorer. But he's going to bring great D every night, rebound the hell out of the ball, and I think provide some long range shooting. He's going to be a big part of UT's success.

6. I think think UT needs Jordan McRae. People aren't buying. I thought considering everything, he had a decent last year. He grew up last year and I would venture to say he's the emotional leader of the Vols. We just need consistency from Jordan. I think he provides that.

7. I was reading Lindy's College Basketball Preview (not too bad, but I disagreed with a good portion of it), but something caught my eye. Jarnell Stokes was their upcoming SEC Player of the Year. I think it shows that UT fans aren't crazy for expecting some great things from the 18 year old Stokes this season.

8. Will UT play zone defense this year? I'm not sure. I don't think it's completely necessary. It's not like Duke, UConn, or UK was in zone 20% of the time. I don't mind the changeup, but I think the bigger issue is that the team needs to do a better job on help defense. If they do that, I don't think we need that much zone.

9. However, I think teams are going to try and play zone D against us a good bit early, especially in the Puerto Rico Tourney. It's imperative for UT to show they can beat zone defense. McRae, McBee, and Edwards shooting well from outside would really go a long ways.

10. UT basketball is in really good shape. I haven't felt this much excitement around the program since UT had the #2 seed and picked up a top 10 class in 2008. There were a lot of questions about Cuonzo Martin when he was hired, and some were understandable. But with the great improvement UT had last year, and now Cuonzo picking up two five star commitments, UT is in great shape to be a national top 20 program. And if Cuonzo can pick up Austin and JW3, that's starting to put a fence around Tennessee that the basketball program hasn't had in a long time. I think this year will show Martin's coaching ability, and UT has a big year. Guys, get excited about UT basketball! You have every right to. I firmly believe Cuonzo Martin is going to take UT basketball to new heights. It's going to be awesome.

Go Vols! :hi:

Great post, agree with most of it. Also wanted to give a shout out to the board if I may. IÂ’m a big fan of CCM, but with an obvious bias. While a student at Purdue I got the chance to work in the Athletic Department and get to know CCM, Tracy Webster and Kent Williams. IÂ’ve followed his career since. When he was hired at Tennessee, I started looking for websites that follow UT Bball. I must say this is by far my favorite board to follow, I spend more time on here than I do on PurdueÂ’s rival site. So even though I donÂ’t care one bit for UT fball, aside from having ColtÂ’s season tickets the last 12 years, I consider myself the biggest UT in the heart of Big Ten country.

A lot of goals for the team this year, but one of mine is I want to see us win at Rupp. I was there the last time the Vols beat UK at Rupp. This year, I'll be going to the UT@UK game again and it's the first time I've been back to see them at Rupp. Time to break that streak :rock:

Be very careful when you go. I went 4 years ago, and was one the worst experiences I've had. UK honestly has some of the rudest fans in the country.

IF Stokes stays for one more year, it will make him and Hubbs both alot of money. I don't think people actually comprehend how difficult we would be to guard. Both are worthy of double teams but, you can't double both. This will allow one or the other to be one on one. Pick your poison. Then through in a matchup nightmare at the 3 like JW3. JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ!

With Nichols at the 4!!!!

Quietly I'm sitting in the corner just smiling thinking of the possibilities.

Be very careful when you go. I went 4 years ago, and was one the worst experiences I've had. UK honestly has some of the rudest fans in the country.
I married one :)

Haha. Not the rude part...just the UK fan part.

You're right though, some of them are unbearable. Living in Lexington makes it about a million times worse. I'm a University of Louisville grad and a Vols fan (born and raised in TN) so they just love me. :dance2:

Last edited:
To the OP, nice post. I've just got one question. Do we have a guy that can guard the opposing team's PG? We all know that Golden can't because he's a bit slow footed. How do the new guys stack up? :hi:

To the OP, nice post. I've just got one question. Do we have a guy that can guard the opposing team's PG? We all know that Golden can't because he's a bit slow footed. How do the new guys stack up? :hi:

Golden will never be an elite defender, but his strength can help him.

Richardson can. And apparently Armani Moore (the backup PG now) can also.

Golden will never be an elite defender, but his strength can help him.

Richardson can. And apparently Armani Moore (the backup PG now) can also.

Gonna sound a little weird, but it's a little to do with him being what I call a heel runner. He's just not too light on his feet and has less ability to be agile. Straight ahead, he's strong and can finish on the O end. His lateral movement and quickness of shuttling his feet just isn't as good as you would like.

Gonna sound a little weird, but it's a little to do with him being what I call a heel runner. He's just not too light on his feet and has less ability to be agile. Straight ahead, he's strong and can finish on the O end. His lateral movement and quickness of shuttling his feet just isn't as good as you would like.

No, I get what you are saying. He's got heavy feet is what I would call it.

It's a damn shame too, because if he was quicker, he'd have a legit shot at the NBA.

One of my favorite rappers, Ab-Soul, says in one of his songs that "Sometimes I like to go on a tangent of random ****." This is what this post is. Random **** about UT basketball. Let's go:

1. For a non-regular basketball fan, I don't think people understand how good Robert Hubbs is. He's got a chance to be a lottery pick in a couple years in the NBA draft. He gives UT an explosive scoring, two way player that can get into the paint and wants to drive the ball to the basket. He can also shoot. He's a complete player.

2. With Hubbs' and Davis' commitments, everyone is talking about 2013-2014 season. And rightfully so. Has a chance to be special for UT. But I truly believe this upcoming year can be special too. So much experience coming back, and UT's starting five can match with almost anyone's in the country. If Kenny Hall can keep his head into the season and Yemi continues to improve (and those are big questions) UT might have a top five frontcourt in the country.

3. Everyone is excited about Jarnell Stokes, and people are getting exciting what they are hearing from Jordan McRae, but I honestly believe Trae Golden is going to have a monster season. He's lost weight and is quicker, and I think he's going to be committed to defense for the entire year.

4. People were concerned when Cuonzo was hired that he wouldn't bring an "exciting" style of offense to the Hill. I felt this was overblown and I think the commitments of Davis and Hubbs, along with the recruitment of JW3, shows that Cuonzo wants athletes. Tennessee isn't going to average 80 points a game in the Cuonzo Martin era, but it really doesn't matter. I expect UT to push the tempo a little bit in the coming years.

5. UT's biggest weakness this coming year? Consistency from the wings. If I gave a grade last year, I felt it was a C- for the wing players last year. Nobody was consistent. This is where I think D'Montre Edwards is going to help. He's not going to be a big scorer. But he's going to bring great D every night, rebound the hell out of the ball, and I think provide some long range shooting. He's going to be a big part of UT's success.

6. I think think UT needs Jordan McRae. People aren't buying. I thought considering everything, he had a decent last year. He grew up last year and I would venture to say he's the emotional leader of the Vols. We just need consistency from Jordan. I think he provides that.

7. I was reading Lindy's College Basketball Preview (not too bad, but I disagreed with a good portion of it), but something caught my eye. Jarnell Stokes was their upcoming SEC Player of the Year. I think it shows that UT fans aren't crazy for expecting some great things from the 18 year old Stokes this season.

8. Will UT play zone defense this year? I'm not sure. I don't think it's completely necessary. It's not like Duke, UConn, or UK was in zone 20% of the time. I don't mind the changeup, but I think the bigger issue is that the team needs to do a better job on help defense. If they do that, I don't think we need that much zone.

9. However, I think teams are going to try and play zone D against us a good bit early, especially in the Puerto Rico Tourney. It's imperative for UT to show they can beat zone defense. McRae, McBee, and Edwards shooting well from outside would really go a long ways.

10. UT basketball is in really good shape. I haven't felt this much excitement around the program since UT had the #2 seed and picked up a top 10 class in 2008. There were a lot of questions about Cuonzo Martin when he was hired, and some were understandable. But with the great improvement UT had last year, and now Cuonzo picking up two five star commitments, UT is in great shape to be a national top 20 program. And if Cuonzo can pick up Austin and JW3, that's starting to put a fence around Tennessee that the basketball program hasn't had in a long time. I think this year will show Martin's coaching ability, and UT has a big year. Guys, get excited about UT basketball! You have every right to. I firmly believe Cuonzo Martin is going to take UT basketball to new heights. It's going to be awesome.

Go Vols! :hi:

Great stuff and you didn't even have to mention Maymon who I believe will bring it this year. Two book end Bigs in Maymon and Stokes will wreak havoc on opposing teams.

Great stuff and you didn't even have to mention Maymon who I believe will bring it this year. Two book end Bigs in Maymon and Stokes will wreak havoc on opposing teams.

We know what we get from Maymon, although it needs to be mentioned that the team views him as the leader.

I was all set to disagree with the McRae evaluation, but to Jordy's credit, he does stay positive and is up encouraging his teammates when he gets pine time for his own uninspired play. There is something to be said for that. Scotty Hopson and McRae were a lot alike as players on the court, but SH let his negative emotions and body language affect his teammates and he moped on the bench.

I, like calban, am in wait-and-see mode on McRae on the court. He has shown little, to no improvement and still has little desire to defend at a high level like CCM wants. Has/will the light come on? If it does, watch out, because this team will be VERY dangerous.

Actually there were times when McRae was playing hawking defense...now granted....it wasnt on every single play the way CCM wants but he can definitely play defense...just needs to stay at it for 40 minutes or whatever times he's on the floor of course...

Actually there were times when McRae was playing hawking defense...now granted....it wasnt on every single play the way CCM wants but he can definitely play defense...just needs to stay at it for 40 minutes or whatever times he's on the floor of course...

Yeah. That's essentially what I said. He has shown little desire to play high-level defense. I was insinuating that there have been flashes of it, but nothing consistent.

VN Store

Back