Rajion Neal=WOW!

Agreed, his problem was never his strength. It is dealing with contact (playing physical, ball security, etc). Hopefully the OL he's lifting with are roughing him up some too.

Said it before, could the problem be that like Ricky Williams he had small hands? If so the fumbling will continue. If that's not it, roughen him up might help. :)
But seriously, does anyone know if he has small hands or not?

Neal has elite physical abilities. He needs to hang on to the ball and soak up everything CJG says. His physical gifts have never been in question.

Did I just hear James right? He did just say Neal is lifting with the offensive linemen, right? If he can use that power, his speed, and HOLD THE FOOTBALL he could be All-SEC, maybe more! I hope his work in the weight room translates into results on the field! GBO!

It's not like the rest of the SEC isn't lifting. It happens, Juniors and Seniors get bigger and stronger; that's why lettermen are so important.

Guys we are fine with both Neal and Lane. Takes 2 good ones. We have them. It was line blocking scheme and backfield formation that caused much of the problem last year. The new coaches have impacted that. You can get it done if you need to with a 4.5 RB that knows how to run behind his blocks, cut back and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Reactions: 2 people
If so, he's being smart. I think it was O.J. Simpson who started the idea of insisting his OL be at interviews and awards with him. It was a show of appreciation to the fact without them the Juice wasn't going to be turned on. Then there was some guy who cut up an award and gave each of his OL a piece for the same reason. When your OL knows you appreciate them and aren't shy about saying or showing it, they work harder for you. Your success is their success. Now all Neal has to do is hold onto the ball to make it all count for something.
--

Ironically, didn't OJ also do an Isotoner Gloves commercial in which he gave the gloves as gifts to his lineman?

The closer it gets, the more outlandish the predictions become. Certainly I'm hopeful that the running game will be improved. It almost has to be. But, there is nothing to indicate that the OL is going to suddenly emerge into something that allows for 2 back to have huge seasons. We'll be a passing team to a large degree because, one, that's where are best skill players are, and two, the run game just isn't like to go from 0 to 60 in one offseason. If Neal is lifting comparably to the OL, then they still aren't working hard enough. We have to be better up front, but there is no reason to expect miracles.

The closer it gets, the more outlandish the predictions become. Certainly I'm hopeful that the running game will be improved. It almost has to be. But, there is nothing to indicate that the OL is going to suddenly emerge into something that allows for 2 back to have huge seasons. We'll be a passing team to a large degree because, one, that's where are best skill players are, and two, the run game just isn't like to go from 0 to 60 in one offseason. If Neal is lifting comparably to the OL, then they still aren't working hard enough. We have to be better up front, but there is no reason to expect miracles.
Why u say that Richardson was lifting as much as Ala o-line no one said they wasnt working hard enough. Neal is benching 430 plus and squatting more than 600. That's not a typical skill players numbers.

Why u say that Richardson was lifting as much as Ala o-line no one said they wasnt working hard enough. Neal is benching 430 plus and squatting more than 600. That's not a typical skill players numbers.

Those are ridiculous numbers, in a good way.

I agree! I was listening to Dooley at media days talk (as he should) poorly about last years running game, but does anyone feel a little bad for Poole; should we have his back and blame the offensive line more than the runner. I just feel like we are throwing T.Poole under the bus, for things that are not all his fault, when we talk so poorly about last years running game. Let me know what you think. It is just a thought I had...

Reactions: 1 person
What about DEVRIN YOUNG? Too early to tell??? Too small??? Think he is an option at a legitimate #3?

Devrin Young is a weapon, but I think his biggest impact will come on returns. I expect Young to gain 200-300 yards and a couple touchdowns on the ground, but I could also see him used as a receiver out of the backfield or split out wide. I anticipate him accounting for 1200-1500 total yards between returns, rushing, and receiving.

I agree! I was listening to Dooley at media days talk (as he should) poorly about last years running game, but does anyone feel a little bad for Poole; should we have his back and blame the offensive line more than the runner. I just feel like we are throwing T.Poole under the bus, for things that are not all his fault, when we talk so poorly about last years running game. Let me know what you think. It is just a thought I had...
The Oline was bad, but Poole went down on minimal contact on most occassions. I think it was poor O-line run block coaching combined with a mediocre RB. (Chaney ultimately responsible) Very poor RB coaching. (Chaney) And sub-standard talent at RB. Last I checked Chaney is still calling the plays. Obviously UT is better having hired Graham and Pittman, but is the philosophy from the top any different? We'll see.

The Oline was bad, but Poole went down on minimal contact on most occassions. I think it was poor O-line run block coaching combined with a mediocre RB. (Chaney ultimately responsible) Very poor RB coaching. (Chaney) And sub-standard talent at RB. Last I checked Chaney is still calling the plays. Obviously UT is better having hired Graham and Pittman, but is the philosophy from the top any different? We'll see.

Thanks, I feel the same. I just have trouble saying a Tennessee Grad who is in the NFL was the only problem. I guess I feel a loyalty to the Alumni. I think Poole was good, not Arian Foster good but better than Addai, Joseph; Blount, LeGarrette; Green-Ellis, BenJarvus; Mendenhall, Rashard; etc.

1. Oline bad? - How is it a raw and freshman laden OL help make Poole a 1K yard rusher in 2010? What changed?

2. Poole mediocre? How is it that he got 100+ yards against even Oregon. How is it that NFL scouts the combine and that senior game(?)were so high on him and the NFL drafted him? What changed?

The fault lies with the coaching or rather the lack of it. Chaney may once have been hot stuff, but he needs to step up and shake off the Fulmeritis. That is to say becomes so comfortable that he gets lazy.

The one thing I do wonder and get a bit mad about is how easy Poole went down. There were times from what I could see he simply ran into an arm and just fell down. I've long suspected this was attitude related.

Ironically, didn't OJ also do an Isotoner Gloves commercial in which he gave the gloves as gifts to his lineman?

Dunno. I only saw him in Dingo boots commercials and The Towering Inferno. However, the point here is the wisdom behind Neal's hanging with the OL guys. He probably understand team chemistry, wants his OL to know he appreciates their effort. They will likely play extra hard to spring him in games.

Maybe Neal is working out wit the OL to become their favorite little buddy, so they will do everything in their power to help their 'lil buddy out come gameday.

I watched Neal play every game in HS. He was always complementary and thankful for his O-Line. Working out with them, On THEIR level, builds a certain amount of Mutual Respect. That should translate to both parties working a little harder to make each other more successful.

Not sure that this makes it highly unlikely that he runs a sub 4.4 forty.....just makes it more unlikely that he runs a sub 4.3 forty.

Oh yeah.....Shout out to Dante Stallworth.....he's #11 on that list!

VN Store

Back