Question for the few die-hard here like me

There's some of us who post daily, or game by game basis. There are still some die-hard fans like me here and that have been here for years who are passionate and cheer loudly for our Vols. My question is, when we lose close games, or games at the buzzer how do you react? Do you say a few choice words loud then you're over it? Kick a pet? Break things? Today I was so frustrated I had a mild case of Tourettes, and my neighbors now think I'm insane. Just wondering how everyone else reacted today, or other close losses.

P.S. I'm not sober and I'm bored, the reason for this useless post

The loss against Ohio State in the NCAAT haunted me for days. That was probably the number one basketball game that took me days to get over.

I am like what Chris said- I used to let wins and losses dictate how I felt for a day or two, especially in football. Occasionally, I still am in a bad mood the same night, but it doesn't effect me nearly as much as it used to. Just part of aging and realizing that I have 3 young kids who depend on me.

You'll eventually out grow the behavior. You'll also come to see this along with all other sports as just a game. Passion is one thing but when you carry it to that degree, it's just a bit silly. No offense intended. I'm telling you the progression I went through in over 50 years of following UT sports.

Another thing that comes with time/age, you recognize the UT sports programs for what they are and what they aren't. We aren't bama in football or UK in hoops. Never have been and never will be. Our administration will never let us be more than music city bowl or NIT level. Grab the moments when they come. Keep expectations low and have other things that give you enjoyment. Focus on those and enjoy UT in passing.

Well done.

Not so much the aging factor, but 5 years of sobriety have helped me accept that no game is life changing for me. Before, I was a true ******* to be around after any loss.

You'll eventually out grow the behavior. You'll also come to see this along with all other sports as just a game. Passion is one thing but when you carry it to that degree, it's just a bit silly. No offense intended. I'm telling you the progression I went through in over 50 years of following UT sports.

Another thing that comes with time/age, you recognize the UT sports programs for what they are and what they aren't. We aren't bama in football or UK in hoops. Never have been and never will be. Our administration will never let us be more than music city bowl or NIT level. Grab the moments when they come. Keep expectations low and have other things that give you enjoyment. Focus on those and enjoy UT in passing.

:good!::hi:

I cuss like a sailor for about 5 seconds then turn the channel everytime I see Tennessee lose in B-ball or football. I guess you can say I'm an die hard fan who hates losing.

I was a sailor and cuss nastily, but for much longer than 5 seconds. In some basketball games I confess to turning the channel back and forth during the game. As was stated by another poster, I too get frustrated , but really early in b ball games. When I was younger, losing at any UT sport bothered me badly. But if we lost a football game I would be really down until the next Saturday. As I have gotten older it usually wears off by say,, Thursday..

The last 10-15 years of Vol sports in general have jaded me to the point that I'm not nearly as affected as I once was. Some would say 10-15 years of perspective and added maturity helped aid that process. 15 years ago for football, 10 years for basketball, a loss literally ruined my day and I was unpleasant to be around. My wife literally dreaded a Tennessee loss, and generally avoided me following one. Not a fact I'm proud of, but my fandom was unquestioned. I'm still a huge fan of both teams, but I'm numb to the idea of losing anymore. It happens far too often unfortunately.

Much better stated than my effort!! Well said!!

I'm nearer 70 years old than 60.
I wore my Vols gear, had tickets or watched or listened or fretted because I had 'other things'=stuff with family...to do all during my kids youth. Raise 'em right you know...they'll be a fan too and family season tickets is a good thing, eh?

Neither of my kids, although both got their bachelors from UT, are 'real fans' .. :(.

My son, won't know who we're playing, whose on the team, but "We won"? That's great Dad!

My daughter claims a little more fanship than him, and then she sets up these great festive, drinks, ...whole tailgate thing. Makes my sausage ball football better than me...... And gabs, loudly, the whole dang game! "Oh? Did we stop them"?

Buy 'em books, send 'em to school, an what'll they do?....Tell Dad if he hadn't been sooo INTO it, maybe they would have liked it more.

TL;DR: Ranting too much about UT sports in front of your kids may turn them off to being a Vol fan.

Reactions: 1 person
For me it depends on how we lost. If it was a good hard fought game like the Georgia SEC tournament loss yesterday then I am mildly upset. If we lose because of a bone headed play or some coaches mistake then I am more likely to cuss and fume. Then there are losses like the Percy Harvin "No Catch" in the end zone that make my stomach hurt for an hour. Or the Pig Howard fumble through the end zone that make we want to pull out my hair and scream at the TV (I had to feel sorry for him, it was an effort play).

For me it depends on how we lost. If it was a good hard fought game like the Georgia SEC tournament loss yesterday then I am mildly upset. If we lose because of a bone headed play or some coaches mistake then I am more likely to cuss and fume. Then there are losses like the Percy Harvin "No Catch" in the end zone that make my stomach hurt for an hour. Or the Pig Howard fumble through the end zone that make we want to pull out my hair and scream at the TV (I had to feel sorry for him, it was an effort play).

Jabar Gaffney, not Percy Harvin. Turn in your Vol card if you've forgotten that name...lol. ;)

I have to admit I take it worse when it is football. That takes several days minimum to get over unless it is Vandy or Ky.

Basketball to me is a little less serious. I hate it when we lose, but Like today I just scream a little but get over it fairly soon, same as in baseball and girls Bkball.

If the basketball team was a little more consistent and winning more, I admit I would be more serious about it when losing.

I do love all Vols sports, however, and try to keep up with them as much as possible.

Basketball is easier to get over for me because there are more games and less time between games.

With football, losing a regular season game is so much bigger because smaller number of games and there's only 4 playoff spots. Even if(when) they expand to 8 teams, a loss will still be pretty big. And there is an entire week until the next game, and even worse if you lose before a bye week.

The last 10-15 years of Vol sports in general have jaded me to the point that I'm not nearly as affected as I once was. Some would say 10-15 years of perspective and added maturity helped aid that process. 15 years ago for football, 10 years for basketball, a loss literally ruined my day and I was unpleasant to be around. My wife literally dreaded a Tennessee loss, and generally avoided me following one. Not a fact I'm proud of, but my fandom was unquestioned. I'm still a huge fan of both teams, but I'm numb to the idea of losing anymore. It happens far too often unfortunately.

Yep. Same here. Although I think getting married and having kids also led to me realizing there are far more important things to worry about. Still love my Vols and watch every game (football and basketball), but just don't let a loss ruin my day anymore.

I get a little disgusted and take the losses with the wins. My outlook on this season was that we'd be lucky to finish at .500. The Vols finished at 16-16 but could have been 20 or 21 wins with a little luck and made the NCAA tourney. Do we keep our coach and how much better will the team be next year? Some teams will just reload as in Kentucky and Florida. Vandy, Georgia and maybe Bama will get better. We'll need 20-21 wins to make the NCAA next season. Waiting to see the schedule before I make any commitments.

I use to get very upset every time the football or basketball lost, then someone ask me "Why do you let what a bunch of 18-22 year olds do control your life?" My whole perspective changed. I love sports and I love the Vols, but we have to remember the players are young men and often we care about the games more than they do. They have school, their sport, families, and sometimes children of their own. The sport many times takes a back seat to other things in their life.

As much as we may think that their sport should be no.1 in their life because they are receiving a scholarship, it is not true.

If it's a basketball game I'll get over it in a few hours. If it's a football game, It ruins the entire weekend for me.

Last edited:

I am the same way. Wife likes me a lot better now. The more mature me. She always use to ask me "just how does this effect your life"

I hope they win the next one or next season in this case. I root for Tennessee as hard as anyone on here but ill never let it affect me in a negative way. Sure I get upset they couldnt pull out the win but i understand there 18-22 year old kids and anything can happen on any given day. with that being said i still celebrate wins because ill be in a great mood after them.

This is me. I'll be at every home game and a few away games (football and basketball) cheering as much as I can. When we lose I get a little upset, but I have perspective and realize that its not a big deal. When we win, I get pumped and have a great time with it. There are too many other things in life to be concerned with, then to let the actions of 18-22 year olds upset me.

There was a time when a loss would ruin my day and everyone around me. Now I feel bad for about 15 minutes and I'm able to get myself to MoveOn. I'm much happier and my family is much happier. I try to come back the next day and we watch the game and analyze what went wrong.

VN Store

Back