Quarterback Battles Across the SEC

As much as people don't want to hear it, I think if Butch goes 8-4 and recruiting looks good, he's around till 2018. If we go 7-5 and recruiting drops off, then he's in trouble. But if we lose a few early games with a new QB and finish strong with another 9-4 type season, Butch is back.

Though, I feel like we're being very underrated by the media for 2017. We have a ton of talent returning. Our D sucked because of injuries; not because of lack of players. If the offense can find a groove, we can be much better than anticipated.

Not sure what this post has to do with the topic. Seems to belong in a "Butch" topic. However a good post.

Why does every one hate on Dormady? Dude has a cannon, is accurate, and has speed. So does JG.

We should be glad we have two awesome quarterbacks to choose from, but man let it play out in practice.

Dormady speed. All we have seen was compared to a really fast QB in our system. What his speed is is not the question. (by the way, what is his 40?) How fast he reads a defense, and how quick he is, these are the questions. How quick he is seems to me to be more important then his speed. This includes his pass delivery.

The bottom line is, Who will make the right read?

It's my understanding that we have called runs and called pass plays but we also have called Pass/Run/QB keep plays based off how the defense defends a "particular" formation.

When JJ is on an island he needs the ball coming to him and I don't care what the down and distance or the formation, get him the ball.

As for when the read calls for the QB to keep, the one that can make the defense pay for not having a defender dedicated to stoping our QB that's who needs to be on the field. We are past the days of our QB having an open read and keeping it just to be caught for a 4 yard gain. Nothing wrong with 4 yards but when a defense doesn't have to worry about our QB taking it to the house or at least 15-20 yards in chunks when uncovered, they can collapse on the RB and take their chances.

As for our recievers, too many times I would see the defender locked in man to man and our guys would release to block, the defender would then immediately start playing the run. I think it was Smith that talked about tells when describing our WR play. Just as a defense tries to disguise the coverage our Offense has to disguise our intentions.

Be ready for vanilla early in games for our offense to test the waters and get a read for how the defense will handle formations and option assignments.

Last year our offense would script 1st and 2nd down and then would have 3rd down plays ready for picking depending on distance and urgency of converting. I don't expect that to change.

Really thoughtful and knowledgeable post in my humble opinion.
As to scripted plays, I don't really like them. Do what the defense dictates. That is unless you are a good as "The General's" teams were. (tell'um where you are going, then do it)

Our offense, no matter the QB, doesn't scare me against GT it's our DL getting cutblock/hurt by their OL.

There is a ton of instate talent 4* or better coming out next year saying how much they like Butch and staff.
You have 7 new coaching hires that will be year one. Butch would have to murder someone to get fired next year.

Liking the staff and signing the letter of intent are two different things.

Personally don't think Jones and his staff can afford to choke next season on the in state recruiting like they did this year and survive long term.

I'll probably get killed for this but I'll say it anyway...I think they both play this season. QD is the true #1 and JG get plenty of minutes as a change of pace guy. My reasoning..both will prove capable and the dynamic of utilizing both talents will be too tempting and 2) don't want to give either a reason to walk. We are too thin at QB to lose one after the years end.

I agree that both play but not as part of a 2 QB system.

I think Jones goes with Dormady early on and he struggles much like we saw with Worley a few years ago.

I like Dormady, just not sure he is as good a fit for the system unless Scott is allowed to cater to his strengths.

This has nothing to do with Dormandys ability to throw a ball. This has to do with his playing style. This offense will not work with a pocket QB. If we had a pocket QB last year we win maybe 6 games. Unless the new OC makes changes that makes the offense pocket QB friendly (Butch will not allow) we have to have a mobile QB.

This has nothing to do with Dormandys ability to throw a ball. This has to do with his playing style. This offense will not work with a pocket QB. If we had a pocket QB last year we win maybe 6 games. Unless the new OC makes changes that makes the offense pocket QB friendly (Butch will not allow) we have to have a mobile QB.
With an average to below average OL this is true. It can adapt to a less mobile, better passing QB if you have the other pieces right.

Reactions: 1 person
If JG starts, Dormandy will surely walk away. He is a Junior and has redshirt year left that he can redshirt at new school and play. There is no point for him to stick around and waste a year and then go somewhere for a year.
If Dormandy wins, there is a good chance JG sticks around and waits to see if Dormandy succeeds in the season as he has 4 years of eligibility.

Butch is under a lot of pressure so he cannot afford to hand start to JG and risk losing Dormandy. What if JG gets hurt or doesn't perform as expected ?

Insurance Policy : Start Dormandy, Wait till middle of the season and if it sucks, start JG. QB change against weaker teams is the best way to excite your fanbase.

Dormady speed. All we have seen was compared to a really fast QB in our system. What his speed is is not the question. (by the way, what is his 40?) How fast he reads a defense, and how quick he is, these are the questions. How quick he is seems to me to be more important then his speed. This includes his pass delivery.

I'm baffled that speed is still one of the attributes associated with him. You're right, just say he's got a cannon and can make good decisions. I vividly remember an option keeper against TTU that looked about like Worley speed.

JG passes the ball better and is a better player according to observers. That is why he will start. No bs about system or speed. He throws it better and has the it factor according to insiders.

VN Store

Back