QB competition..

BREAKING NEWS,it has been announced that a guy named BUTCH will name the starting QB when he's ready to.He thanks all of volnation for their input,but he will decide on what he has seen at practice.:eek:lol:

Dadgumit! I thought we were gonna have a raffle to decide this!

Yeah that's true. I honestly have stated in recent posts that I'm hoping for Dobbs. If that's true about Ferguson and he really is behind, I think Dobbs should be the guy. People say he played bad last year, but he played 2 and a half games against top 10 teams, that's hard for any freshman especially when those are your first 3 games. I think if Dobbs would have started from the beginning of the season he would have performed better by those games, but that's a conversation for a completely different thread. I see Dobbs having the most upside, and unless he is just completely flat throughout spring and summer practices, I think he should get the nod.

If Dobbs is going to start, he needs to improve his passing distance and accuracy. He also needs to recalibrate his internal clock and remember to run or throw the ball away. Too many times he held on and got sacked. Oh and 2 TD 10 Int doesn't cut it.

Worley's biggest problem in games was getting settled down. That is why he always did so bad in the first half. He also had some accuracy issues...mostly early. Thing is if Worley hasn't separated himself from the pack, then maybe he has hit development plateau.

Peterman is the unknown. We know how bad he can be but he hasn't had a chance to shine yet. What I would really like to know is how long he played with a hurt thumb in that FL game, because I will give him a mulligan on those plays.

Ferguson seems to be the guy. He has the touch, he knows the playbook, he is a decent runner, and above all, he is a competitor! His major drawback is game time experience and there is only one way to fix that.

If it comes down to Worley and Ferg/Dobbs, I would rather get the young guys some experience because they will be back next year and Worley won't.

Reactions: 2 people
I think the decision has to be Dobbs or Ferguson. If you had a solid complete senior qb and your looking to be the top SEC team, then you generally go with him that guy. But Worleys not that guy, and I really don't think that should be our aim this year either. It would be nice, and i think we have the potential, but i see this as our final rebuilding year. I don't realistically see us winning the SEC, but hey who knows.. Dobbs or Ferguson are both young guys, if your looking towards the future, you have to choose one of them. They both have more upside potential than Worley in my opinion. I really don't wanna see Worley get the nod, because he might be more solid, but we're not gonna see anything more from him this year than we did last year in my opinion. I think our potential with Dobbs or Ferguson is a lot higher. Peterman might sneak up, hes still got a few years, but I don't think he's the guy either. Dobbs or Ferguson is where I think they're gonna go.

I am torn between two different scenerios.

(1) Worley starts and keeps his job all season, even though he is not clearly head and shoulders above Ferguson.

This will not give us any better advantage to win, than if we had Ferguson. We would probably end up with the same record regard of either of them won the job.

However; if going in to 2015, the q.b. job is not a lock, then we may be able to get Gentry or another q.b. in that class. Whereas, if Ferguson were the starter in 2014 and the assumed starter in 2015, then what top rated q.b. would want to come to U.T. and likely have to wait 3 seasons behind Ferguson.

When the new q.b. arrives, Peterman will find himself further down the q.b.list, so after next season, I predict that we lose both Worley and Peterman and gain a top q.b. in the recruiting class.

(2) Ferguson wins the starting job. His first start will come against Chattanooga. We end up with the same record that we would have had even if Worley were the starter. We DON"T get a top q.b.for the 2015 recruiting class BUT Ferguson and all of the offense have the 2014 season to get accustomed to each others play. Timing between receivers and Ferguson that was established in 2014 will help in 2015.

I would rather see Ferguson or Dobbs win the job, but as Butch as always said, he will play the QB that gives us the best chance to win, and based off of last years competition it was Worley. That's why you see him and Ferguson getting the most reps with the first team.

IMO, Worley is the starter by default until another QB does something to prove otherwise.

Had Worley started in the Vandy game, we would have won and been in a bowl game. No doudt!!!!

Reactions: 6 people
Had Worley started in the Vandy game, we would have won and been in a bowl game. No doudt!!!!

Yup. And one could argue that last year's schedule was tougher than this upcoming season's. It is reasonable to assume a healthy Worley could have gotten us to the post-season last year against a tougher schedule.

Therefore, it is also reasonable to assume Worley is capable of getting us to a post-season this year.

I think the decision has to be Dobbs or Ferguson. If you had a solid complete senior qb and your looking to be the top SEC team, then you generally go with him that guy. But Worleys not that guy, and I really don't think that should be our aim this year either. It would be nice, and i think we have the potential, but i see this as our final rebuilding year. I don't realistically see us winning the SEC, but hey who knows.. Dobbs or Ferguson are both young guys, if your looking towards the future, you have to choose one of them. They both have more upside potential than Worley in my opinion. I really don't wanna see Worley get the nod, because he might be more solid, but we're not gonna see anything more from him this year than we did last year in my opinion. I think our potential with Dobbs or Ferguson is a lot higher. Peterman might sneak up, hes still got a few years, but I don't think he's the guy either. Dobbs or Ferguson is where I think they're gonna go.

The best QB should play this year. Anyone that thinks BJ cares more about next year than this year is a nut. Let the best man win. If its Worley, im gonna get me a Worley jersey and cheer like hell, and the same goes for the others! Suprisingly, I learned last year that the coaches know more about all the QB's than I do. In my opinion the only reason we saw Peterman last year was because BJ buckled under the pressure of the fans, I hope he doesnt make the same mistake again.

Last edited:
I am torn between two different scenerios.

(1) Worley starts and keeps his job all season, even though he is not clearly head and shoulders above Ferguson.

This will not give us any better advantage to win, than if we had Ferguson. We would probably end up with the same record regard of either of them won the job.

However; if going in to 2015, the q.b. job is not a lock, then we may be able to get Gentry or another q.b. in that class. Whereas, if Ferguson were the starter in 2014 and the assumed starter in 2015, then what top rated q.b. would want to come to U.T. and likely have to wait 3 seasons behind Ferguson.

When the new q.b. arrives, Peterman will find himself further down the q.b.list, so after next season, I predict that we lose both Worley and Peterman and gain a top q.b. in the recruiting class.

(2) Ferguson wins the starting job. His first start will come against Chattanooga. We end up with the same record that we would have had even if Worley were the starter. We DON"T get a top q.b.for the 2015 recruiting class BUT Ferguson and all of the offense have the 2014 season to get accustomed to each others play. Timing between receivers and Ferguson that was established in 2014 will help in 2015.

I'm a Dobb Goblin supporter but disagree with you about Worley not giving us any better advantage to win, than if we had Ferguson.If we have a dynamite running, Worley's game management and ball security skills will be enough to pull out decent wins. That why McElroy at Bama was as effective as he was. The running game scared folks so much he could have thrown Hail Mary's when he did pass and end up with a Bama player catching it.

For all my Dobb Goblin yakking, Worley could be very effective on team 118 if that running game is all we're hearing it is and carries over into games. It would literally be a perfect arrangement for Worley. And that's why I disagree with you on the guy. :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
About the only time I've heard anyone say one of the QBs outshone the others after any given practice they were talking about Fergy. I think he's very much in the mix. Looks like Peterman had a good day today.

I think it'll be Dobbs or Ferguson in the end.

I wish there was one that stood out above the others.

If Dobbs is going to start, he needs to improve his passing distance and accuracy. He also needs to recalibrate his internal clock and remember to run or throw the ball away. Too many times he held on and got sacked. Oh and 2 TD 10 Int doesn't cut it.

Worley's biggest problem in games was getting settled down. That is why he always did so bad in the first half. He also had some accuracy issues...mostly early. Thing is if Worley hasn't separated himself from the pack, then maybe he has hit development plateau.

Peterman is the unknown. We know how bad he can be but he hasn't had a chance to shine yet. What I would really like to know is how long he played with a hurt thumb in that FL game, because I will give him a mulligan on those plays.

Ferguson seems to be the guy. He has the touch, he knows the playbook, he is a decent runner, and above all, he is a competitor! His major drawback is game time experience and there is only one way to fix that.

If it comes down to Worley and Ferg/Dobbs, I would rather get the young guys some experience because they will be back next year and Worley won't.

How could you possibly know any of this? No one has seen him in a game. Last season he was the worst qb in game like scrimmages.

Reactions: 3 people
I wish there was one that stood out above the others.

Jones seems to like to create competition even if it isn't quite as competitive as advertised. Last fall it was said to have been an open competition... yet Worley consistently went out with the 1's first, started, and was the most effective QB they had.

The constant is Worley. Sometimes one of the others shares the 1 reps... but they always seem to share them with Worley.

I know it is very popular here to hate the guy or dismiss his talent... but Jones doesn't seem to do that.

you have that backwards. Ferguson was next behind worley when healthy.

I said nothing about the depth chart. Also the reality is even if the RF guys don't want to accept it is that he was never ahead by the depth chart or CBJ words. He was tied with Dobbs. I'm talking about the scrimmages. Dobbs made the most plays during the game situation scrimmages last fall.

My point is still valid though. No one knows until we see them in real game action. RF is a huge unknown. People acting like he is proven or its his job to lose are delusional. He is in all likelihood behind Dobbs and Worley atm. He is the least physically ready and least experienced.

I'm not sure I ever want to see Dobbs under center for UT again. I can deal with Worley, but good lord, I don't even recall a single play I saw Dobbs make where I went "that guy is starting QB material". I know he was a freshman, but any freshman that has promise should be able to make at least a play or two that gives you hope.

I have no information to offer and haven't kept up with any of this but I think its going to be ________. (Insert predetermined favorite).

Thank you for your opinion OP and for wasting my time

Last edited:
It's Peterman's job to lose according to many. The race is too close to call according to others. We should know by Labor Day.

Well, good luck to whomever gets the job but I think if we don't know until Labor Day...we are in big trouble.:yes:
GO VOLS

I'm not sure I ever want to see Dobbs under center for UT again. I can deal with Worley, but good lord, I don't even recall a single play I saw Dobbs make where I went "that guy is starting QB material". I know he was a freshman, but any freshman that has promise should be able to make at least a play or two that gives you hope.

So his 40 yard touchdown run against Kentucky gave you no hope? That was the longest run by a UT QB since Tee Martin. And I believe it was actually longer than any of tees and Dobbs had several big runs like this while playing through the gauntlet of our schedule. Think about this with me for a minute. His first meaningful minutes playing for us he had to play against #1 Alabama, the next week #9 Missouri then #11 auburn. That's a hell of a way to break in a true freshman quarterback with no true tight end target and his best receiver being a true freshman. Not to mention a new coach with a whole new scheme the team still wasn't exactly thriving in last year. I'll give Dobbs a pass. He impressed me, and he has worked his butt off the get bigger faster and stronger this offseason. Don't write him off yet man.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back