PS4 Fortnite in "open beta" for crossplay with Xbox!

I think this will open the door for other games to get cross play as well. This is great for consumers.

Though I DO believe the magnitude and "wailing and gnashing of teeth" of this issue was completely overblown by the gaming media, this is obviously a great thing for all gamers.

Now, hurry up and bring PUBG to PlayStation!

Though I DO believe the magnitude and "wailing and gnashing of teeth" of this issue was completely overblown by the gaming media, this is obviously a great thing for all gamers.

Now, hurry up and bring PUBG to PlayStation!
About 4 people want PUBG on PS

Cross-platform gaming has been possible for several years. The only thing holding it up... Sony. Hopefully, this is a step in the right direction.

I think the biggest misconception among consumers and critics with regards to Sony and their stance on crossplay is they seem to think Sony was simply being spiteful. Like they were just standing there with their arms folded, refusing to flip a switch as if it were that simple. It's not! I talked to a Sony PR representative several months ago and he told me that the reason Sony refused crossplay with Xbox and Switch at that time was because in order to do so, they were required to share specific algorithms with MS and Nintendo that Sony used to gather valuable data from their users. He said that kind of data was too confidential and it was unreasonable to expect Sony to reveal that information to their competitors.

Now obviously a work around has been found and that's great for gamers. However it's not as simple as "Yesterday Sony said no and today they said yes due to consumer pressure." You're giving yourself too much credit if you think that. This has been in the works for a while now, I guarantee you.

I think the biggest misconception among consumers and critics with regards to Sony and their stance on crossplay is they seem to think Sony was simply being spiteful. Like they were just standing there with their arms folded, refusing to flip a switch as if it were that simple. It's not! I talked to a Sony PR representative several months ago and he told me that the reason Sony refused crossplay with Xbox and Switch at that time was because in order to do so, they were required to share specific algorithms with MS and Nintendo that Sony used to gather valuable data from their users. He said that kind of data was too confidential and it was unreasonable to expect Sony to reveal that information to their competitors.

Now obviously a work around has been found and that's great for gamers. However it's not as simple as "Yesterday Sony said no and today they said yes due to consumer pressure." You're giving yourself too much credit if you think that. This has been in the works for a while now, I guarantee you.

You know that PS4/Xbox crossplay already happened on fortnite right? It was an 'accident' on epics part. The PR was likely spouting the company line but that line is likely just an excuse. PS4 won this generation of console so they were being strategic in refusing crossplay. The pressure of seeming anti consumer probably got to them so they finally caved.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying Sony is bad and Microsoft is good. Microsoft is pretty hypocritical as the situations were reversed in the previous gen when Microsoft was the one blocking crossplay.

You are giving Sony way too much credit here, but people will believe what people will believe

You are giving Sony way too much credit here, but people will believe what people will believe

He very well COULD have been full of ****, but he seemed pretty sincere to me. Truth is, none of us know for sure one way or another who doesn't actually work within Sony. Those who say Sony was being hubris and stubborn doesn't really know any more than those who are giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Oh something else he told me was a factor with crossplay, if there is unacceptable behaviour from a player on a different console/system, there is no system in place via cross-platform by which the victim of abusive behavioir can report those being problematic. So, Sony had no way to deal with the offenders, nor did the other companies get notification that they needed to deal with the offenders.

This is exactly right. But MS and Nintendo have been willing to share their algorithms for years.

This is exactly right. But MS and Nintendo have been willing to share their algorithms for years.

They are also losing. So of course they are willing to risk more to gain any kind of competitive advantage they can. Sony is in the position of market leader, by a herculean margin. They can afford to be more...lets say judicious in their approach to such things. It took some time but finally Sony was able to make this work in a manner they are comfortable with. I'm glad they listened. This is good for all gamers.

VN Store

Back