Pruitt still going with ass't coach mindset?

We only have to score more than our opponents to win games. If our defense becomes good enough, we don't have to be the best at scoring. We just need to make sure our defense isn't on the field constantly like last season. I honestly think slowing the game down would be the best thing possible for this team by taking long plodding drives and keeping it low scoring. I'd be much more comfortable with us having to score 21 to win a game than 35 or 42.

Reactions: 4 people
Considering how our defense was so horrible last year..We could not stop anyone running the ball or make a sack or tackle..Defense set records last year for all the wrong reasons..
I welcome him to helping the defensive side of the ball in the spring..That is his specialty..
We have to get better on defense...I am sure CJP trusts his OC..He is letting the coaches he hired do their job like he should...No need to micro manage..We saw how that worked out...
GBO

Reactions: 2 people
The comment by UT's head coach that UT's offense (they) beat "us" (defense)... Probably not advisable. He has to realize that he's the whole team's coach, not just half of it.

Or it could be the fact that he is letting the assistant coaches and coordinators do their jobs. Something Butch meddled with everything during his tenure here. Did you ever wonder why we had so many great assistant coaches but still sucked?

I see no issue whatsoever. Just me tho.

I don't see it as a huge issue. However, as a leader, I've learned the hard way that vocabulary communicates mindset, even when it's a mindset you're not aware you're communicating.

I see it mainly as a little thing that will be taken care of in the process of transitioning to head coach.

I'm a big fan of Pruitt so far but I have one concern. With all the time he's spending with the defense, esp. the defensive backs, I wonder if he's still stuck in Defensive Coordinator mode. He even mentioned the transition to coaching both sides of the ball is a new one for him. Hoping Coach Fulmer helps him make the transition to HC.

Most all coaches do this. Spurrier spent most all his time with his QBs, Fulmer spent most all his time with his OL, Saban spends most all his time with his DBs. Hell, even that dumbarse Sgt Carter gravitated to the WRs which is what primarily explains why our WRs were so awful, but I digress. It’s normal and natural, head coaches tend to spend their time coaching the positions they’re most familiar with....obviously, doesn’t mean they can’t manage the entire team and their staffs

I have heard it said by many coaches that if you saw Bama's practices you would think Saban coached DB's instead of being head coach. I guarantee that Pruitt takes in plenty of offense also especially in film study with the other coaches. During practices I have no problem at all with him gravitating toward the defense a lot of the time. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
He's doing fine. If the offense wins, he is mad at the defense. And when the defense starts winning, we will hear he is mad at the offense.The best HCs are rarely satisfied,

Most all coaches do this. Spurrier spent most all his time with his QBs, Fulmer spent most all his time with his OL, Saban spends most all his time with his DBs. Hell, even that dumbarse Sgt Carter gravitated to the WRs which is what primarily explains why our WRs were so awful, but I digress. It’s normal and natural, head coaches tend to spend their time coaching the positions they’re most familiar with....obviously, doesn’t mean they can’t manage the entire team and their staffs

Good post.

The most important word used was manage. The term head coach could and maybe should be Program Manager. Not as sexy as head coach, but as the people you referred to, they coach their area of expertise, and manage the whole damn program. We have seen Saban make very emphatic demands of his staff during games. He is at that time managing.

I'm a big fan of Pruitt so far but I have one concern. With all the time he's spending with the defense, esp. the defensive backs, I wonder if he's still stuck in Defensive Coordinator mode. He even mentioned the transition to coaching both sides of the ball is a new one for him. Hoping Coach Fulmer helps him make the transition to HC.

I think we're so used to having a coach who micromanages everyone and everything, that when we finally get a guy who trusts his assistants to do the job he hired them to do, we see it as him not doing his job.

I don't see it as a huge issue. However, as a leader, I've learned the hard way that vocabulary communicates mindset, even when it's a mindset you're not aware you're communicating.

I see it mainly as a little thing that will be taken care of in the process of transitioning to head coach.

I get that, I just don't see this as that.

I just see it as a practice for a football game. "Us against them" is what its all about, and him being a part of that with the team is a good thing in my eyes.

No big deal, but I don't think there's a "thing" that needs to be taken care of.

Fun fact: when you're on the VN home page, there's a mouse-over function for the New Forum Threads section. It shows you the first part of the thread title in the list of threads, i.e.

After coaching search fiasco, Vols have...

And then when you mouse over it, it'll show you that the full text of the thread title was actually:

After coaching search fiasco, Vols have Fulmer, Pruitt and a piece of Mike Leach

It breaks every time someone uses a single quote in the thread name though, and doesn't display anything in the thread title after the quote. So a thread named '20 PA WR Julian Fleming doesn't display any mouse over text at all. And a thread named Pruitt still going with ass't coach...

Ok yeah, I act like a 10 year old sometimes.

Fixing 1/2 the problem would be better than anything that has happened except for Kiffin over the last 10 yrs.

Kiffen was good at one thing too...

"A 2016 study for the NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence on hybrid warfare notes that the Russian military intervention in Ukraine "demonstrated how fake identities and accounts were used to disseminate narratives through social media, blogs, and web commentaries in order to manipulate, harass, or deceive opponents." You ain't foolin' me "wrestling dude."

This made my day!

Btw, I was accused of being with the CIA in the Balkans a few years ago. Jason Bourne has nothing on me...

He has spent all that time on the defense and got scuffed up by our offense. No wonder he is taking from the offense to improve the defense.

He also knows how important a solid defense is to winning multiple NCs.

Why wait on a loss to tell him what he is doing wrong?

He has checked all the boxes as far as I'm concerned.

It’s a valid point but I think because it’s spring number one, he feels like he can do the most good there right now. If he continues that in the fall I would say it’s a concern...saben is involved in coaching the DB’s as well but manages to do less of that as the practice season goes along. Pruitt is gonna fix the defense first and that’s as it should be. Nice stuff opie.

VN Store

Back