Pruitt Postgame

I did not like coach's comments. He is blaming players for loss for most part complaining they did not buy in. A new coach has to earn the trust of his players to buy in and this should have happened during off season. He did not recruit these players and openly bashing them is not going to make it any better.

Imagine in your workplace your manager openly stating his team is not good in a multi team meeting and he is starting to recruit new guys. Would you go back to your desk and work harder to earn his respect or would you actively start looking for a job. Here we are dealing with kids. I expect ton of transfers after this season which may be good and bad.

He is absolutely right, but problem I have with these comments is he is making it harder for players to buy in to the program. To them it would feel like they are already on coach's bad side. And CJP is not going to have his players till year 3 or 4. He needs our current players to buy in and help him build this program year 1 and 2.

Our 2018 talent composite ranking is 15. It would be better to get our current players to buy in and get ranked around 15 in AP poll next year and build towards championships years 3-5. Easier and more practical way.
2018 College Football Team Talent Composite

Just my opinion. I know based on comments above majority here will not agree and I also respect your opinions.
It’s called constructive criticism. If you can’t take it you shouldn’t be playing sports. There was nothing wrong with what he said

It seems he saw too many players who didn't want to do it the right way today, and that disappointed him. The Butch hangover still lingers but won't last forever.
I honestly don’t see an effort problem
I see a talent level problem

Mostly it was Tagavailoa. He's a unique talent, and I don't think anyones going to have an answer for him. I thought the vols looked pretty good all things considered. It might have been decent game if hurts had been playing.

If he does it completely the right way this team will be competing with a lot of teams by 2020 if not next year. Still got lots of work ahead getting his recruits in and buying into the system. I think in all honesty JP is the right guy to turn this around and hopefully compete for the SECCG by Dec 2020. Florida and Georgia will continue to get better just like we will but we gotta start making splash commits to sign on here. Once he starts getting more 5 star players this team will get tougher and ppl will start talking about TN football again. Depending on how we finish this year I would really hope we are preseason ranked next summer!
I was following right along with you UNTIL----"Preseason Ranked". THANKS ! I needed a good laugh today. C'MON MAN!

Give him a chance to finish the year. Who knows maybe he’s not the guy long term and JP hires someone else. This is a learning process. These coaches aren’t going to be excellent overnight. Give them time to learn their roles and get the plays called at the right time. Rome wasn’t built in a day and this team isn’t either. Next year will be so much improved and by 2020 watch out!!
The coaches are hired and paid insane salaries to be effective at their role on day 1. That doesn't necessarily mean that we immediately see that on the field, as players who were previously coached different schemes or just coached poorly in general need time to take in what they're taught, but this concept of the coaches needing time to learn baffles me. Yes there is on the job learning, there is with every profession - it's called experience. But they should already excel at their hired role, or we shouldn't have hired them. IMHO

I did not like coach's comments. He is blaming players for loss for most part complaining they did not buy in. A new coach has to earn the trust of his players to buy in and this should have happened during off season. He did not recruit these players and openly bashing them is not going to make it any better.

Imagine in your workplace your manager openly stating his team is not good in a multi team meeting and he is starting to recruit new guys. Would you go back to your desk and work harder to earn his respect or would you actively start looking for a job. Here we are dealing with kids. I expect ton of transfers after this season which may be good and bad.

He is absolutely right, but problem I have with these comments is he is making it harder for players to buy in to the program. To them it would feel like they are already on coach's bad side. And CJP is not going to have his players till year 3 or 4. He needs our current players to buy in and help him build this program year 1 and 2.

Our 2018 talent composite ranking is 15. It would be better to get our current players to buy in and get ranked around 15 in AP poll next year and build towards championships years 3-5. Easier and more practical way.

Just my opinion. I know based on comments above majority here will not agree and I also respect your opinions.
I think it's a little difficult to apply this to a work place setting. As a football player, you're either doing something right or wrong. Consequently, the football coach is either riding your ass or praising you. If you're not getting either, it means he doesn't give a crap about you or what you're doing. The same cannot really be said of the work place, in an office setting especially.

Pruitt doesn't want to say Tennessee just isn't Talented enough. THAT would give him and the Team an excuse to lose. He AINT going there. If you have an excuse; you Will lose, and You won't work/try as hard. I love that approach. 8 of the teams on UT's schedule has better overall talent. Getting 6 wins will be an amazing job.

Your OL at work. Say what you want but CBJ left us and CJP with that, there's no two ways about it. I hope CBJ is taking his intern notes to move improve from the incompetent level. Jesus dude in the SEC the lines are where you can least afford to be weak, and it probably takes the longest to come back from.
What HE said. BOTCH.

Basilio--that you??????

I’ve totally bought in to Pruitt and him leading this team. His pressers are light years better then that salesman Butch lol. He takes accountability for all actions and knows if he screwed up in preparation and such. Yes there are guys hurt; some done for the year and that’s tough to swallow. I just hope the best for this team going forward as they finish the back half of the schedule. Yes still got a few tough games remaining; Kentucky, SC, and likely Vandy. Are they all winnable? Sure. Question will be do the guys keep fighting or do they throw in the towel? It’s gonna be an interesting 5 games to end the year. All I know is 2019 will be a ton improved!! I think this team can go bowling and get 6 maybe 7 wins to end the year. That would be a huge statement going into 2019!!
I don't think these guys will quit on this program because it is legitimate. They don't have to fool themselves into false buy-in like the previous program. Just stay on the path, do the right things, play the right way and everything will fall into place. Simple.

Reactions: diehardvolsfan
Is the segment on VN that spent last season fussing about how CBJ was nothing but cliches and senseless rants the same ones who are now fussing about CJP's blunt, direct honesty?

Asking for a friend.

Go Vols.

We are not good.

Yet.

Pruitt seems to know the secret sauce to get us there and is willing to call it like it is. Tennessee football just might be ready to exit the dark cloud that has rained on the program since half time of the 2001 SEC CG.
Actually think the cloud started to rain after the Pick 6 in the 2007 SECCG

Actually think the cloud started to rain after the Pick 6 in the 2007 SECCG

Those who denigrate the 2nd-best coach in Volunteer history like to shift the date of our "fall" back, so they can give him ever less credit for his accomplishments.

Some push it to 2005, others all the way back to 2001. It's a bit surprising that none have yet attempted to take it to 1999. Heck, they'd push it beyond 1998 to the day Fulmer was hired as head coach if it weren't for that pesky national title.

I think you're right, the loss in Atlanta at the end of the 2007 season is the best place to mark the beginning of our Dark Ages.

I must admit I wanted Phil to go until they canned him. I just wanted him to coach with fire again. Not sure what happened - maybe personal issues? - but there was certainly a frustrating slump in the later years. Glad to have him back in his new role. Glad he didn't hire on with Saban! (blue font)

It seems he saw too many players who didn't want to do it the right way today, and that disappointed him. The Butch hangover still lingers but won't last forever.

I honestly don’t see an effort problem
I see a talent level problem

I think he addressed both in his comments. Said "The game was too big for some (TALENT) , &
some weren't playing the game the right way ( EFFORT).

If players quit because of his comments, best of luck to them. The current players that we have are part of some of the worst teams in school history. A fresh start with new players is long overdue. Let Pruitt get the guys he wants, not Butch softie leftovers

VN Store

Back