Pruitt Frustrated By Lack of Support

Bid farewell to the endless summer of FIRE MALZAHN

I'm not sure what else Jeremy Pruitt thinks he should be given that he does not have at the moment. We're spending top-dollar for assistants and until this disaster of a season he had plenty of fan support around the program. If he is so soft that he is mad fans want him fired after an historically terrible year, I don't know what else to say. At that point, he should just resign and go be a DC.

If this is how Pruitt actually feels, I'm not sure how you can justify giving him another year to tank the program further. Give him his walking papers and let him go be a DC somewhere else if that's what will make him happy.

Pray that he leaves on his own, but the odds of that happening are L O N G

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Fulmer should be fired first. Pruitt should only be fired if there is a plan in place to replace him.

I agree. I think people didn't see it or want to see it for a bevy of different factors. He was a country boy, he liked cornbread and he came across like "one of us" in contrast to "West Coast playboy", "UVA educated lawyer" or "Pvt Pyle's drill instructor turned motivational speaker". I've always thought he had a surly contempt for accountability and I thought and still think he still loathes this institution*. He took the job and gave it a decent effort through Year 2, but the wheels are off and the truth is coming out.

* I'm not claiming he was a deep plant by the Big Red Elephant Club, but decades of hating Auburn and Tennessee, and specifically Fulmer, doesn't go away. Most people aren't professional enough to compensate for deep-seated biases. Once things weren't going swimingly, I think Pruitt's decades-long biases are coming out. Just my take, feel free to call me a chucklehead.

If you're a chucklehead then I am a chucklehead .

I agree with you.

Probably just my disdain for him overall but he seems a little more hyped to play Auburn than Alabama. And I trace that back to his deep seeded Bama roots even though Bama is the bigger rival for the Vols.

Fulmer should be fired first.
Why? Because he made a hire that hasn't worked out? Who, among the "hot" names at the time would you have hired? I'm willing to bet that almost every coach on your short list 3 years ago has not panned out. Mullen is the only coach we could have had that could be judged as a good hire. We probably could have had him had Currie gone after him. By the time Fulmer took over, Mullen had moved on. Other "hot" coaches at the time were: Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Justin Fuentes, Chip Kelly, Willlie Taggert, Mike Leach and maybe Malzahn. With the exception of Leach, all are either on the hot seat or fired. The "sure-fire" coaching hire of the last decade was Harbaugh. Barring a miracle, he's gone after this season or next. Hiring a coach to meet fans' expectations is almost impossible. If you don't hire Saban or Dabo there isn't a coach you can hire that will guarantee success. That's just the way it is. Hiring a head coach is a big gamble and the odds are stacked highly against you.

People's "hate" of Fulmer absolutely mystifies me. He's the greatest Vol coach of our lifetime by a HUGE margin and far too many idiots don't appreciate him. I wish he were the head coach now. We would be far better off than we have been over the last 10 years.

I will say this, Fulmer should absolutely be fired first. It’s also ironic that a bammer will cost him his job. Oh well, he hired the guy.

Honest question, no snark: After the dumpster fire that was the near Schiano hire and then the Mike Leach bumble and subsequent Curry firing...who was he supposed to hire? I think Pruitt should've been fired a month ago, so no argument there. I just think Fulmer did the best with a really, really bad situation. If he'll fire Pruitt this year I think he gets one more shot at a hire. If he doesn't and Pruitt inevitably flops again next year, then Fulmer should be fired imo.

Honest question, no snark: After the dumpster fire that was the near Schiano hire and then the Mike Leach bumble and subsequent Curry firing...who was he supposed to hire? I think Pruitt should've been fired a month ago, so no argument there. I just think Fulmer did the best with a really, really bad situation. If he'll fire Pruitt this year I think he gets one more shot at a hire. If he doesn't and Pruitt inevitably flops again next year, then Fulmer should be fired imo.
Mike Leach. If you recall, Fulmer said he was only going to be here for a short time. Now we see he’s negotiating further deals for himself.It’s not like any other program would like to have him as an athletic director.

Fulmer and Pruitt should be gone ASAP. Don’t give them further opportunities for failure.

Reactions: Rocky Top Raby
Why? Because he made a hire that hasn't worked out? Who, among the "hot" names at the time would you have hired? I'm willing to bet that almost every coach on your short list 3 years ago has not panned out. Mullen is the only coach we could have had that could be judged as a good hire. We probably could have had him had Currie gone after him. By the time Fulmer took over, Mullen had moved on. Other "hot" coaches at the time were: Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Justin Fuentes, Chip Kelly, Willlie Taggert, Mike Leach and maybe Malzahn. With the exception of Leach, all are either on the hot seat or fired. The "sure-fire" coaching hire of the last decade was Harbaugh. Barring a miracle, he's gone after this season or next. Hiring a coach to meet fans' expectations is almost impossible. If you don't hire Saban or Dabo there isn't a coach you can hire that will guarantee success. That's just the way it is. Hiring a head coach is a big gamble and the odds are stacked highly against you.

People's "hate" of Fulmer absolutely mystifies me. He's the greatest Vol coach of our lifetime by a HUGE margin and far too many idiots don't appreciate him. I wish he were the head coach now. We would be far better off than we have been over the last 10 years.

Fulmer has a long history of bad hires.

Reactions: dlravol2
Mike Leach. If you recall, Fulmer said he was only going to be here for a short time. Now we see he’s negotiating further deals for himself.It’s not like any other program would like to have him as an athletic director.

Fulmer and Pruitt should be gone ASAP. Don’t give them further opportunities for failure.

What has Leach done to instill confidence that he's going to get the job done at Miss St?

Oh boo hoo. He should understand fanbase frustration when things like getting BLOWN OUT by Kentucky at home happen in year three. Losing 6 games in a row by double digits. That has to be expected by anyone with any inkling of how a fanbase like ours will react.

Let me put it to you this way - if someone wanted to pay me - heck - even 1.5 million a year to coach at the University of Tennessee I'd crawl there through flaming glass tomorrow to take the job. And if a fan come to my house, jumped on my dining room table, dropped trough, and literally crapped on my meal I'd just have the crazy person thrown out, my cleaning staff address the situation, order take out, buy a new table, and keep ENJOYING the 1.5 million I was making. If you aren't thick skinned enough to handle a job like this maybe you should find another profession.
I never thought someone like you would understand what I was trying to say. It is easy to sit in your living room and type on here how you would feel and what you would do when something happens to you. But, until it happens over and over and over to you, you really have no idea what you would TRUELY do. I just wish we had more class than many of us have. To be respected you have to act respectable. I know, I know you don't have any idea what I am talking about. I am sorry. SMH GO VOLS

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I never thought someone like you would understand what I was trying to say. It is easy to sit in your living room and type on here how you would feel and what you would do when something happens to you. But, until it happens over and over and over to you, you really have no idea what you would TRUELY do. I just wish we had more class than many of us have. To be respected you have to act respectable. I know, I know you don't have any idea what I am talking about. I am sorry. SMH GO VOLS

Oh now don't give me that. I just don't feel the same way you do and I'm not proud of a coach that acts that way. Pay me what Gomer makes and I promise I won't give a dang about what anyone thinks of me nor need moral support if I'm failing.

I'm not perfect and I make plenty of mistakes myself. But I don't blame my mistakes on others. I'm not sending a moving truck to the guys house or anything and I'm sorry if I don't feel bad for a guy making the kind of money he's making to not do well at a job where you are a glorified PE teacher.

We're all entitled to our own opinions. And I truly do know what I would do and how I would act. I know how this game is played.

Last edited:

He interviewed Mel Tucker and Kevin Steele twice as well as Pruitt. Don't know that either would have been successfully better than Pruitt but I am doubting they would be worse.

Report: Kevin Steele interviews twice for Tennessee job

Oh now don't give me that. I just don't feel the same way you do and I'm not proud of a coach that acts that way. Pay me what Gomer makes and I promise I won't give a dang about what anyone thinks of me nor need moral support if I'm failing.

I'm not perfect and I make plenty of mistakes myself. But I don't blame my mistakes on others. I'm not sending a moving truck to the guys house or anything and I'm sorry if I don't feel bad for a guy making the kind of money he's making to not do well at a job where you are a glorified PE teacher.

We're all entitled to our own opinions. And I truly do know what I would do and how I would act. I've been a credentialed member of the media for over 20 years and know how the game is played.
The fact you are a media member doesn't mean much in this day and time. Just watch the fake news. You can twist things to look anyway you want. Pruitt is not blaming mistakes on anyone. Being in the media you should get your facts straight. He has always owned it when things go wrong and it was his fault. If you watch his show on Sunday, he will say I just made a bad call there. Then he will say WE weren't on the same page or the player wasn't lined up right. He is not making excuses. Do you really think because Pruitt makes more money than you, we have the right to act like a bunch of classless idiots? If you truly think that, then that is a reflection of you and not me. We have the right and should be able to express our displeasure without personal attacks on the coach. Our next ELITE coach everyone wants can't expect us to act differently than we are now.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Lol Pruitt reminds me of my college coach. His ass got fired for going .500 my sophomore year. Needless to say, Pruitt is subdued and acts like he literally could care less about performance or perception. He’s just there. Wasting away.

Fulmer has a long history of bad hires.
He also has a long history of excellent hires. You can't sustain the long winning record and top 5 teams that Fulmer had unless you have great coaches. Before his last couple of years, he was the winningest active coach in college football. Fulmer and his coaches probably put more players in the pros than any HC during his tenure. How can you even contemplate that he has "a long history of bad hires?" It's an absurdly unfounded statement. Did he make some bad hires--yes. So has EVERY other college football coach.

Ya know how you gain support Jeremy?

WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!
Keep the instate kids home!
Don’t make those “mental errors” you preach about!
Let your assistants coach, and call plays!
You claimed to trust them when you hired them!
Recruit your ass off because your opponents already do!

Did I mention WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!?

Reactions: Vol524

Negotiated a contract with Pruitt that guaranteed him 60% of his remaining contract with no mitigation clause.
Extended Holly Warlick in August of 2018, only to turn around and fire her in March of 2019.
Couldn't orchestrate the funding to keep Rick Barnes, forcing then interim president Boyd to step in with 9 other boosters to come up with the $3 million to keep him.
Extended Pruitt to an 8-year contract before his 3rd season, and raising his salary to $4.2 million a year, doubling the buyout on his contract.

He's incompetent as an AD, which is not at all surprising, since he is utterly unqualified to hold the position.

VN Store

Back