Pruitt announces several position changes

The Byrd move is a no brainer. Byrd, Shamburger and Buchanon/Osbourne/CFA should be a good group of CBs. And we are already loaded at Safety.

CFA is intriguing. Since he is already established at RB, we have time to try him out.

Don't mean to be negative, but this tells me that we lack a lot of depth on defense.

I fully expect Bumphus and Anderson (and Blakly if the move works out) to be in the backfield on a regular basis...I’d be shocked if we don’t see a lead blocker substantially more than we did under Lyle

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed.

But even the best get it wrong.

Saban tried to move NFL Rookie of the year RB - Alvin Kamara to CB...after his freshman season.

Kamara then wasn’t the Kamara of now....he was injured, buried behind a slew of 4 and 5 star running backs and had self-admitted attitude and maturity issues, which got him into some off-field trouble. Saban was probably trying to figure how to get through to a very talented young player, to wake up him up and get his talent somehow utilized on the field.

Last edited:
I like this approach from Pruitt and company.

Coaches have had loads of time watching all our kids on film and kept a eyes and minds wide open approach.

They see things and say...Hey I think this kid has some potential to be good at the XXX position so they discussed it among the coaches, talked to the players and put together a try out for 7 of the 15 Spring practices to see what the kid can learn and do at the XXX position.

If the kid does well after 7 practices then fine, if not he does the last 8 practices back at his previous position.

Nothing lost but just maybe lots to gain with this open eyed approach.

I like giving some of our kids another opportunity to try to do well at another position of need.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
I like this approach from Pruitt and company.

Coaches have had loads of time watching all our kids on film and kept a eyes and minds wide open approach.

They see things and say...Hey I think this kid has some potential to be good at the XXX position so they discussed it among the coaches, talked to the players and put together a try out for 7 of the 15 Spring practices to see what the kid can learn and do at the XXX position.

If the kid does well after 7 practices then fine, if not he does the last 8 practices back at his previous position.

Nothing lost but just maybe lots to gain with this open eyed approach.

I like giving some of our kids another opportunity to try to do well at another position of need.

VFL...GBO!!!

Yep....Get the best players/athletes on the field. Period. I may be wrong, but a great athlete should be able to transition from one skill position to another. I'd be willing to bet a lot players played both ways/multiple positions in HS.:ermm:

Last edited:
I remember the first time seeing Travis Stephens in a game. My first thought was why play this guy? He's just too small to drive the ball through the line. How wrong was that?

The Byrd move is a no brainer. Byrd, Shamburger and Buchanon/Osbourne/CFA should be a good group of CBs. And we are already loaded at Safety.

CFA is intriguing. Since he is already established at RB, we have time to try him out.

Loaded at safety??

Agreed.

But even the best get it wrong.

Saban tried to move NFL Rookie of the year RB - Alvin Kamara to CB...after his freshman season.

Good point. My point was that as a coach you get the best players on the field, period.

Once he moved Byrd back to WR and send AT to corner I knew this is just him taking a look at guys

VN Store

Back