Pruitt and Fulmer have hijacked the offense

So you are going on record with the idea that Kiffin "has a defense"? What about Spurrier, did he drone on about a beloved defensive front he just had to run, ya know, as an offensive guru? This is not how the real world operates, unless you're Butch and micromanage others. Shoop was disgruntled, now Helton. Connect the dots.
Who said Helton was disgruntled? Did he? Are you making this all up in your head? Are you a moron (as the previous poster stated)?

So we're going to pay a guy 1.2 million dollars a year then put handcuffs and training wheels on him. May be the square peg, round hole deal. Preparing for the future, no matter how bad. I'd run the QB if that were the case. Give us some false hope..Scoring 14, 21 a game will have us at 0-16 in the SEC by year's end. They need to try something..

Reactions: volfannbama
Looks like its similar to his situation at USC. Wasn't he the passing game coordinator and co-OC? Is this is his first year as a full coordinator? Seems like they are doing all they can to keep the defense fresh. I'd say they will gradually let him do more as his career progresses at TN. Not sure why you pay a guy 1.2 million then just tell him what to run on offense. they could've gotten someone from the high school ranks to follow directions if that's what it is. Id definitely get the ball to Jennings and chandler more if I wanted to win , regardless of the play call.
yeah, this is his first gig as a full time play caller.

The oline limits what plays will work.

If UT could sling it then Fulmer or Pruitt wouldn't have any problems with passing 80% of the time.

There's no conspiracy or hard headedness going on. The offense just isn't very good, in any aspect.

We've all watched all the games and we've all seen what is on the field every Saturday thus far.

There's no time to throw it, there's no blockers moving upfield let alone moving the pocket and there's rarely a hole for the runners to go through.

Right now the offense is losing the trenches. It's as simple as that.

I love Devo by the way.

[youtube]

Guys with giant lawn mower blade balancers on their head. Sounds like the Cars.

yeah, this is his first gig as a full time play caller.
yep. gonna take a little time. Fulmer and Pruitt will probably not let him do what he wants till 2020 when we should have the blocking to call more passing plays. run blocking will likely be fixed by next year and it will be the chandler/banks show.

There is probably a fine line between game planning for a team, like our matchup Saturday against auburn, and band aiding the offense to get a little more production.

As frustrating as it is to watch, I’m trying to be patient as they install our new system. These kids are clearly having assignment issues and until they figure it out, or we recruit kids who can do it, we are going to have frustrating games. Same applies to defense.

The stuff of future dreams... An O-line who can blow the defense back on every power run play and keep even the most talented defense out, giving our QB time to see the field, pick the target, and deliver the ball. Tennessee being touted as O-line U, QB U, WR U, TE U, RB factory, and Advanced Degree Defense U. Yes, every footballer wanting to come to UT. Recruiting becomes cherry picking season. Think about it... Tuscaloosa or Knoxville? K-town wins, hands down. Better University, better environment, UTK.

We now return to our regularly scheduled posting.

Reactions: savannahfan
yep. gonna take a little time. Fulmer and Pruitt will probably not let him do what he wants till 2020 when we should have the blocking to call more passing plays. run blocking will likely be fixed by next year and it will be the chandler/banks show.
i think some of the consternation is probably that Will Friend has been an OC at Col. St. and he and Pruitt are pretty close w/each other. and how much that dynamic impacts what Helton is/can/should be doing. i don't think there's any realy way to know for sure.

lots of speculation these days since Pruitt has been more involved with the offense.

i tend to agree with those that have said you don't pay a guy 1.2M to sit him the corner and let the OL coach run it or the HC take it over....i don't necessarily buy that angle.

i do think there's probably a general consensus amongst the staff that there are roster limitations, and they likely wouldn't know what htey had to work with until they were able to get some games under their belt, coaches and players alike.

and as a result, we've got 5 games now. i think we should have a really good idea of what we struggle with. and hopefully, and maybe likely, they spent part of the bye working on ways to 'work around' some of those issues.

i think we'll find out for sure over the next few weeks. the next two, even though the Auburn game is set up for a potential upset, they still have as good a front 7 as anyone we've played, and will present a difficult match up for our Oline. next week is no different.

after that......??? we'll see.

From the moment CJP stated this would be a "power run" offense, you already knew Helton and his Brohm/pass-heavy background were being manipulated. You could only hope the oversight would be minimal.

5 games in and we all see this isn't true. Despite running for a horrendous 2.8 YPC in league play, while passing for 7.5 YPA (similar ratios overall; pathetic at the run and nationally top-25 at pass efficiency), UT and Helton (presumably) continue to call run plays with a 2:1 ratio to pass plays. This is very UNlike Helton and what he would have learned from Brohm.

Why does Pruitt feel the need to interject himself on offense? Why did we even come out and define our offensive phililosophy without it being the OC's input? What is the role of the OC here? Should Butch have allowed a defensive identity to form a priori to Shoop the last few years?

I just can't fathom why offensive HCs interject on the defense and defensive HCs do the same on offense. Just LET IT GO ffs. This is a recurring problem at UT.

I'll tell you why Pruitt feels the need to interject himself on offense or for any facet of the program. HE IS THE HEAD COACH!!!!, and can do anything he dam- well pleases until the BOSS says otherwise.

Regardless of who is doing what the offense is a disaster and needs to be fixed immediately. 33 points in the SEC 16.5 per game will not be enough to beat anybody.
There is no way to "fix" any offense that is as limited as our players preform immediately. Sense Dobbs , who covered up lots of sins, the true ineptness of our offense players has shown glaringly. Nothing can be "fixed immediately" when faced with this challenge.

Think you misunderstood the point of said "interjection". I'm not talking the recent practice interjection. I'm talking since before the season started. He defined the offense, then brought in Helton and handcuffed him to this power run dogma, failure after failure be damned.

If he "defined" the offense, then brought in Hilton, then Hilton knew what was expected. If this was the understanding of what was wanted offense wise, why did Hilton come if he didn't agree to the plan?

From the moment CJP stated this would be a "power run" offense, you already knew Helton and his Brohm/pass-heavy background were being manipulated. You could only hope the oversight would be minimal.

5 games in and we all see this isn't true. Despite running for a horrendous 2.8 YPC in league play, while passing for 7.5 YPA (similar ratios overall; pathetic at the run and nationally top-25 at pass efficiency), UT and Helton (presumably) continue to call run plays with a 2:1 ratio to pass plays. This is very UNlike Helton and what he would have learned from Brohm.

Why does Pruitt feel the need to interject himself on offense? Why did we even come out and define our offensive phililosophy without it being the OC's input? What is the role of the OC here? Should Butch have allowed a defensive identity to form a priori to Shoop the last few years?

I just can't fathom why offensive HCs interject on the defense and defensive HCs do the same on offense. Just LET IT GO ffs. This is a recurring problem at UT.

Here's a clue: our players SUCK on offense. Like, suck historically bad. Especially the O-line.

when you have players that have no clue what they are doing, you have to run simple plays otherwise you get what we saw against Florida (stupid turnovers due to lack of concentration and knowing what you're supposed to be doing).

The game plan for the offense is this for the rest of the year:

Pound the rock to control the clock (and not let the other team blow us out of the water in the first half) and hope our defense can get take-aways and put us in short field position.

That's it. That's what Tennessee is gonna do to survive the brutal games. Get used to it.

I dont know if we have a team good enough where we can make these assessments yet. I have not seen a Oline good enough to protect a QB long enough to be able to be a passing team. The power run could be relied on heavy this year to help change the culture of a soft football team .

Reactions: tbones0711
Looks like its similar to his situation at USC. Wasn't he the passing game coordinator and co-OC? Is this is his first year as a full coordinator? Seems like they are doing all they can to keep the defense fresh. I'd say they will gradually let him do more as his career progresses at TN. Not sure why you pay a guy 1.2 million then just tell him what to run on offense. they could've gotten someone from the high school ranks to follow directions if that's what it is. Id definitely get the ball to Jennings and chandler more if I wanted to win , regardless of the play call.
TH has a ways to go. I'm uncertain as to what type of QB he and his father had at UAB but at other schools,(2), he has been reliant on straight drop-back pocket passers. A better scenario to adjust to when a weak OLine is part of your team is to use a quick footed QB who can get to the edge. This always puts more pressure on defenses. UT doesn't have that type of QB and I'm not expecting one anytime soon. I've repeatedly mentioned on VN the need to roll out, more screens, swing passes to backs and if it's gonna happen we should see it in upcoming games. We shouldn't be negative in 3 areas.....OLine, receivers unable to get open, and lack of adjusted play-calling. It's just plain ugly when you can't run or pass.

Reactions: Donvolson
There is no way to "fix" any offense that is as limited as our players preform immediately. Sense Dobbs , who covered up lots of sins, the true ineptness of our offense players has shown glaringly. Nothing can be "fixed immediately" when faced with this challenge.
Are you saying there is literally nothing you can do to overcome a weakness on offense? While our offensive players are not the best, they are d1 level athletes.

I say we try establish the passing game in order to loosen up the front seven and get the DB's dropping into coverage instead of sitting on routes because they know a run is coming. Come out throwing on the 1st series or two. Then hit them with the run but still remain a higher pass ratio.
Ever thought that what “success “ we have had in the passing game is because we run so much.
If we start throwing 60% of the time I have a feeling that behind this OL our passing “success “ declines sharply .
I think I will give all the coaches a little more time and see what they do with more talent before I cry the sky is falling!

Why does it matter if u have a qb that cannot read a defense? Have at it, pass happy offense with out a ground game to complimnet will only lead to the defense being on the field all game, not that they aren't already. I forese INT's one after another if you try to run heltons offense with the qb's we have.
That's for sure.....CBJ probably didn't even attempt to put in any effort to develop Sheriron Jones who was 3rd string. Now Scott Frost is baptizing A.Martinez by fire at Nebraska. A good QB simply is and always will be the biggest difference maker on a football team. I think Bray was our last decent QB and he lacked wheels.
PS: Just read an article on Martinez from Chattanooga paper. Helton and Pruitt stopped by and saw him prior to his flipping to Nebraska. Somethings I just don't get and one is the direction this team is headed. Yeah Nebraska is 0-4 but this freshman is putting up good #'s already and Shrout is yet to take a snap. UT would have been better off if Martinez was battling JG for the starting position and won it. This process is gonna be a long drawn out ordeal if the only option is to play smash-mouth style football in the SEC.

Last edited:

I could be wrong, but from day 1, Pruitt has said he wants to be power run with ability to stretch the field on deep passes. I think he's trying to infuse the tough mind-set of running the ball, which most of us would LOVE to be a smash-mouth team again. Problem is, OL can't power block very well right now and certainly can't protect JG long enough, nor do we have burners, to make deep game a real threat. Think it's a philosophical question. Do you set the model in place this year, regardless of effectiveness, with the thinking that next year we're farther along towards the vision? Or, do you take baby steps towards it by still keeping a shell of previous concepts that most of the players were recruited towards? Only a guess, but I believe Pruitt knows that this year going to be tough, regardless, so he's going "all in" on culture/mentality change in year 1. I do question some things like not moving the pocket around or throwing a few more deep balls just to keep teams thinking about it, but imagine that when OL improves, we'll see more down field passing.

If you can't run ball effectively in this league you will lose....thats a fact that goes back many years....Pruitt knows that

VN Store

Back