Pros and Cons of continuing or dumping Checkered Neyland.

The only “old tradition” I really care about is winning! If wearing orange shirts is the ticket, then so be it! Just win! Go Vols!!!

Isn't Florida Orange too? Try a Whiteout!

Have you seen Florida's "orange"? It's red. Not kidding.

1537283757475.jpeg versus 1537283790434.jpeg

They just call it "orange" because they grow oranges in that state. But it's red.

My sister-in-law, a stinky Gator, sometimes accuses me of wearing "Florida colors" if I happen to have blue jeans on with a Tennessee shirt. So we've talked a ton of times about how red is really red, not orange just because they want it to be. :)

EDIT: Here's another look at it, using a color wheel--because color wheels don't lie.

1537290116152.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Behr and jakez4ut
Checkerboard Neyland is an awesome tradition and it wasn't started by Butch anyway.

Let's stop trying to disassociate from everything in the Butch Jones years. On the whole, he was a below average coach, but that doesn't mean that everything that happened from 2013 - 2017 should be eliminated.

This This This. ^ We had some good wins and great players during those years. When we discuss that period of time as if it were an evil time, we negate all the good. There was good.

Reactions: AstonRoyal
Im all for it, except at this years florida game.
To me it says we suck at football and need another gimmick to generate enthusiasm and divert attention away from the fact that we suck at football. Just win the game.
But you don't care what anybody thinks.

CheckerNeyland is an awesome sight. Fans and players loved it. It doesn't matter to me at all that it started during Butch Jones' tenure. It's just a fun, cool spectacle that shows how 102,455 people can work together. Keep it.

I also know a male Vol fan that won’t wear Orange.
Big macho, bodybuilder type guy.
He says that orange, yellow, red and all bright colors are feminine that men shouldn’t wear.
He will only wear black or gray with an orange Power T on it to games.
People are crazy.

God is great. Beer is good. And People are crazy!

I also know a male Vol fan that won’t wear Orange.
Big macho, bodybuilder type guy.
He says that orange, yellow, red and all bright colors are feminine that men shouldn’t wear.
He will only wear black or gray with an orange Power T on it to games.
People are crazy.
Yea, he's not worried about his dingdong shriveling up in his stomach by age 30 but is worried about orange shirts making him feel feminine?

Ooookayyyyyy.

Are the guys that did the CheckerNeyland website (Tim McLeod and Jonathan Briehl) members of VolNation? The website has been taken down but I think the fans would support continuing this tradition for one game each year - maybe the last SEC home game of the season for 2018...Another guy that was involved with developing the idea was Spencer Barnett. It was fan started and fan managed and, just like the reVOLt, it's pretty impressive. I'd love it if one or all three of these guys would initiate this for 2018!

Are the guys that did the CheckerNeyland website (Tim McLeod and Jonathan Briehl) members of VolNation? The website has been taken down but I think the fans would support continuing this tradition for one game each year - maybe the last SEC home game of the season for 2018...Another guy that was involved with developing the idea was Spencer Barnett. It was fan started and fan managed and, just like the reVOLt, it's pretty impressive. I'd love it if one or all three of these guys would initiate this for 2018!
A checkered stadium is the back drop of the Jeremy Pruitt show. So they still have appreciation for it too.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Meh. We do more stupid stuff than checker the stadium i.m.o. Having to cue the crowd when it's 3rd down for the opposing team and drum up ways to get crowd noise is embarrassing. In the old day, we knew when it was freakin' 3rd down. I miss having Bobby Denton give us scores of interest. I don't miss the Smokey's Howl when we kick off. That was equally stupid.

At this point in our history, we really shouldn't be trying to invent new traditions but revel in the ones that we have.

Every tradition starts somewhere - some of our most hallowed didn't exist prior to 1965.

"...Dickey implemented many of the traditions Tennessee has become known for from the checkerboard end zones to the Power T helmet stickers.

But his greatest contribution wasn’t until 1965 when he decided to approach the Pride of the Southland -- Tennessee’s famous marching band -- and its director Dr. WJ Julian, who later introduced "Rocky Top" to the Tennessee faithful. The rest became Tennessee history...Dickey and the team first ran through the T at Neyland Stadium on Sept. 18, 1965 against Army, according to the university." Courtney Martinez

So athose traditions were started by the coach. CheckerNeyland was started by the fans. All are special.

VN Store

Back