Prominent college football reporter thinks Vols assistant could be in the mix for a head coaching job after 2023

VolForLife83

I can see schools come calling if the defense makes a major jump this year. What do y'all think/feel about this happening?

One coach that could be on the move is defensive coordinator Tim Banks.

The Athletic's Seth Emerson, a longtime college football reporter, pointed out Banks this week as an assistant who could land a low-level Power 5 or Group of 5 head coaching job this offseason.

https://atozsports.com/.amp/nashville/prominent-college-football-tennessee-vols-assistant-job/

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to be more difficult for a defensive minded coach to make the exchange to HC (though there have been some; Saban, Smart etc). Banks really hasn’t done much to garner that jump. We had third and Chavis forever and he didn’t get an opportunity. Now, if we fold Bama, keep Georgia under 21 and win out, that’s a different story.

Reactions: FBtime and Ostrich
Really would have to think about being a head coach at the age of 51. Why mess up your career at the end?
As a former HS Head Coach and Assistant, I always wanted to be a Head Coach... While being an assistant for most of my career, in the back of my mind, the thought of, "Could I be successful," was always lurking in the back of my mind...

Really would have to think about being a head coach at the age of 51. Why mess up your career at the end?

I can promise you, no competitive professional person is even close to eyeing the end at 51. He has 16 years before hitting the federal retirement age, and that’s meaningless to most driven people. With the average male American changing jobs every four years, and college coaches probably more frequently, he has all kinds of time to make serious moves.

Reactions: Ostrich
It seems to be more difficult for a defensive minded coach to make the exchange to HC (though there have been some; Saban, Smart etc). Banks really hasn’t done much to garner that jump. We had third and Chavis forever and he didn’t get an opportunity. Now, if we fold Bama, keep Georgia under 21 and win out, that’s a different story.
Chavis didn’t want to be head coach. He just always wanted to have complete control of the defense.

More click-bait stirring up dissension for the team. "rat poison," as Sabanov would say.
"Oh coach are you leaving, huh, huh?" or "I aint signing with a coach that's leaving!"

If our D is so dominate, this dude gets a HC job because of their performance, so be it. I want a playoff berth, an SEC title, or both!
… bazillion dollars, magic wand, and all of the national championships for the next thousand billion years.

Give me some of that
Rocky Top!!!

Chavis turned down ECU probably 20 years ago or so

We must be in on some good defensive recruits for someone to be spreading this rat poison around.

I hope our defense has the kind of season that makes him the most sought-after coach in the country...

VN Store

Back