Prognostication and Such...

T_man_J

When this season started, I wanted to jump on board, wear the orange-colored glasses, and even drink the orange-flavored kool aid, but I kept hearing these seminar-type phrases, like, “it’s a process,” “I have to watch the tape,” and “we’ll have to get pressure from our defensive front”. Now; with only three games left in this season, I understand what these phrases really mean. So, I started writing my Big Book of Interpreted Football phrases, and I present to you page 1.

“It’s A Process:” This means that the coach does not know or understand what he has seen in practice, but if you give him time to work through the learning curve, he will promptly explain the whole predicament to you (but he will need about five years to learn).

“I’ll Have to Watch the Tape” This phrase has two meanings. Number 1: The coach was busy ordering half-time refreshments and really didn’t see the play. Number 2: The coach saw the play but didn’t know who had the football, or who was supposed to have the football.

“We’ll Have to Get Pressure From Our Defensive Front” This indicates a strong aversion to risk taking. In other words, it means that the coach will not make a decision that could go wrong, e.g., calling a blitz. If we loose a game, then the reason will always be lack of talent, and of course, the coach needs five years to recruit.

All humor aside, I really don’t believe that we have the coaching ability to exploit an opponent’s tendencies. I hope that we learn, but as it now stands, we will forever be competing for the number two position in the SEC East.

Reactions: 1 person
exploitation of weakness requires the ability of players to do so. Our players are essentially all freshmen because they had zero development under the last staff. I'm not saying the coaching is perfect, but I find it hard to believe that they don't know anything, which is pretty much what you are saying

Reactions: 2 people
When this season started, I wanted to jump on board, wear the orange-colored glasses, and even drink the orange-flavored kool aid, but I kept hearing these seminar-type phrases, like, “it’s a process,” “I have to watch the tape,” and “we’ll have to get pressure from our defensive front”. Now; with only three games left in this season, I understand what these phrases really mean. So, I started writing my Big Book of Interpreted Football phrases, and I present to you page 1.

“It’s A Process:” This means that the coach does not know or understand what he has seen in practice, but if you give him time to work through the learning curve, he will promptly explain the whole predicament to you (but he will need about five years to learn).

“I’ll Have to Watch the Tape” This phrase has two meanings. Number 1: The coach was busy ordering half-time refreshments and really didn’t see the play. Number 2: The coach saw the play but didn’t know who had the football, or who was supposed to have the football.

“We’ll Have to Get Pressure From Our Defensive Front” This indicates a strong aversion to risk taking. In other words, it means that the coach will not make a decision that could go wrong, e.g., calling a blitz. If we loose a game, then the reason will always be lack of talent, and of course, the coach needs five years to recruit.

All humor aside, I really don’t believe that we have the coaching ability to exploit an opponent’s tendencies. I hope that we learn, but as it now stands, we will forever be competing for the number two position in the SEC East.

Right now two would be great. We are competing for number five.

I can't believe that Butch has turned this team around. He has been on the job for 10 months already. I guess you would fire him. Get life!!!!

Go Big Orange!!

By the way I don't like to lose either, but I can wait a little longer than 10 months.

Let's face it, we are bringing a knife to a gun fight every week. CBJ is working with a bunch of freshmen and walk ons. Those phrases are there because he is not going to bash his team a la Dooley. To me, South Carolina was a fluke. Players played way over their heads. The play calling was vanilla, but they executed. I hate the phrase, but give him time.

Reactions: 3 people
Lets face real hard core facts. We do not have the talent, speed, depth , to adequately compete with the upper tier of the SEC day in and day out. Sure, we may be able to beat a South Carolina on occasion but the Alabama's and Oregon's no , not for a couple of more years. Recruiting has just now come into a knew era. Jones is showing how it is done and what it takes to bring in 4 and 5 star athletes. Give the man a chance , for the love of God, Rome wasn't built in a year.

Lets face real hard core facts. We do not have the talent, speed, depth , to adequately compete with the upper tier of the SEC day in and day out. Sure, we may be able to beat a South Carolina on occasion but the Alabama's and Oregon's no , not for a couple of more years. Recruiting has just now come into a knew era. Jones is showing how it is done and what it takes to bring in 4 and 5 star athletes. Give the man a chance , for the love of God, Rome wasn't built in a year.

The cold hard facts are...we got embarrassed by a mid-tier SEC team playing a 2nd string QB. The cold hard facts are this team quit last night...or didn't even care to show up. The effort and preparation were as bad as it has been all season. Stop making excuses.

I want to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and say he wrote this out of frustration over the last six years. Vol fans to fix anything you have to do two things and you should do three things. You must objectively properly diagnosis the problem and then implement steps to FIX the problem. The third thing you should do is figure out what caused us to get here so we don't repeat the same mistake. With that said, here are the FACTS!
What caused the problem? MIKE HAMILTON plain and simple! Hammy set back Tennessee football ten years.
What is the problem? Talent and depth, PERIOD! Right now Tennessee cannot compete with the elite on a consistent basis! Only way to fix this is recruiting and college game experience.
How do we fix it? Top caliber recruits, experience, and a good coaching staff. The jury is out on CBJ! We will not know for sure until about two years from now!
Now, sit back and relax for the next few years. My money is we will RISE TO THE TOP, BRICK BY BRICK! GBO!

Reactions: 2 people
The cold hard facts are...we got embarrassed by a mid-tier SEC team playing a 2nd string QB. The cold hard facts are this team quit last night...or didn't even care to show up. The effort and preparation were as bad as it has been all season. Stop making excuses.

Mid-tier??? Have you looked at the sec standings?

Yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't built by Romans either.:)
GO VOLS!

Sure, and you thought we would win 8 games this year? Our fans are totally unrealistic. I hate losing, but we were starting a true freshman on the road at a top ten opponent. The word "quit" is so overused and I wish we could eliminate it. People think that when you are overmatched, then you quit. Tell Josh Dobbs that he quit because he didn't. Plain and simple- we need more talent. If people don't realize that, then no one can help them.

[SARCASM] I agree 100%. We are Tennessee and we will not tolerate a coach who wont come here and win a Championship the first year. We should fire Coach Jones and show the rest of the nation we mean business.[/SARCASM]

Did you appply for the position? i bet your plan on getting tennessee back in the top 5 is sound. How about going to campus and showing all the coaches where they are going wrong. I know you have it all figured out.

It is easy to sit back and act smug and ***** and complain. Give them time.

those, my dear, are the cold hard facts!

I want to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and say he wrote this out of frustration over the last six years. Vol fans to fix anything you have to do two things and you should do three things. You must objectively properly diagnosis the problem and then implement steps to FIX the problem. The third thing you should do is figure out what caused us to get here so we don't repeat the same mistake. With that said, here are the FACTS!
What caused the problem? MIKE HAMILTON plain and simple! Hammy set back Tennessee football ten years.
What is the problem? Talent and depth, PERIOD! Right now Tennessee cannot compete with the elite on a consistent basis! Only way to fix this is recruiting and college game experience.
How do we fix it? Top caliber recruits, experience, and a good coaching staff. The jury is out on CBJ! We will not know for sure until about two years from now!
Now, sit back and relax for the next few years. My money is we will RISE TO THE TOP, BRICK BY BRICK! GBO!

I'm working on "Rise to the Top," "Brick by Brick," and "It's a Process of Maturation".

This is year three, and nothing has changed.

Wow. Worthy of Guru status.

What is past is prologue.

This is year three, and nothing has changed.

I would disagree. Our talent level is MILES above where it was in 2013, and that team would get murdered by our current one. I do agree that Butch is severely lacking as a gameday coach.

VN Store

Back