Pre-Season I Said I'd Be Satisfied With Six Wins...

...and I'm sticking to it.

I realize and admit that my expectations have been affected by a couple of our games causing me to expect more from this team. This has led to my disappointment dictating my hopes and thoughts on the team and this season. So, I'm hitting the reset button so to speak and going back and sticking to my original thoughts of six wins is good for me this year.

Regardless of the outcome of Saturday or next Saturday, as long as six wins remain attainable, I feel we should all remain calm about this season. I know there will be some that disagree and that is fine. This is my own personal way of keeping hope during the season. I wait too damn long every year for football season just to be miserable once it gets here.

Excellent OP! Mine was 7 wins and we are well within reach of that. We got close in a few games to teams at the beginning of the season we were not suppose to so expectation then went through the roof. GUILTY as charged! However the 7 wins and good bowl are still there and attainable.

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

I realize and admit that my expectations have been affected by a couple of our games causing me to expect more from this team. This has led to my disappointment dictating my hopes and thoughts on the team and this season. So, I'm hitting the reset button so to speak and going back and sticking to my original thoughts of six wins is good for me this year.

Regardless of the outcome of Saturday or next Saturday, as long as six wins remain attainable, I feel we should all remain calm about this season. I know there will be some that disagree and that is fine. This is my own personal way of keeping hope during the season. I wait too damn long every year for football season just to be miserable once it gets here.

Excellent perspective. I too got a little carried away, now I have to remind myself. 6 wins is gonna be tough, but yup. I'm with Doyle. GBO.

If Worley stays healthy, 6 wins is doable. WE have to win 1 game in which we will be a dog- so, SC, Mo, Bama, maybe. I don't think Ole Miss is winnable.

Ill never be satisfied with 6-6, but I'll take it considering the circumstances. I'm tired of losing, but ill be a Vol fan no matter what. Great post Doyle.

Okay but does anyone get fired? I mean if we win 6 games and someone gets fired I'm all in.

Reactions: 1 person
There's no reason to lose any of the November games. If this staff wants to convince me they're the right guys to bring UT back, show me 7 wins. They have to make up for the atrocity that was the Florida game.

Reactions: 3 people
I thought 6-6/ 7-5 was doable.

With that, I saw W's against:

USU
Ark St.
UTC
UK
Vandy
UF/Ole Miss/ Mizzou/ S. Carolina

We screwed the pooch against UF and Ole Miss is ranked #3. So that leaves Mizzou at home or S. Carolina on the road.

6-6 is still very doable but the UF loss will keep us from 7-5, IMO.

I agree Boca, but I think we beat Mizzou & S. Carolina for 7 wins. I don't think I'm being overly optimistic. If TN can beat Mizzou at home and lose to S. Carolina on the road, I will not be disappointed.

Doyle, well said, very good, realistic post!
I predicted preseason for the Vols to go 5-7 again in 2014, however, as you said, I'd hate to look forward to the season, just to be disappointed once again.
If some how this Vol squad can stop the consecutive loosing seasons and get to 6-6 and a Bowl Game I will be very happy!
Go Vol's

This. This. This!!!!

Amen.
I had to go back and find my prediction from 5/22/14.

"I think we end up 7-5. Barring any injuries at key positions. Worst case 5-7. Best case 8-4.

Wins -
Utah St.
Ark St.
Chattanooga
@ Ole Miss
Ky
Mizzou
@ Vandy "

So far right on track but the moment of truth is this weekend.

I'm with you.

I agree, six wins would be signs of improvement, but the problem is that there's a decent enough chance that six wins isn't going to happen. My fear is that Worley doesn't survive the next two games unhurt, and we are looking at a very possible 4-8.

Very possible if Worley goes down, but coach Jones says the Oline is getting better, but there again, Mahoney, says the Oline is having trouble with confidence?

?????

Just wanted to take this moment to apologize in advance if I might rant tomorrow night. I tend to hit the sauce kind of hard during games and let my emotions get the better of me. Majorvol witnessed this firsthand during the Georgia game. I just hope I don't do anything that makes me unworthy of the most holy pom pom pants.

Reactions: 2 people
In the last 3 yrs we have lost to KY or Vandy. Those games should be wins this year. This team cannot go into any of the games over confident.

Last edited:
in a couple of years when butch gets all his players in UT will be a lot better an will be challenging UGA for the SEC east title.

Just wanted to take this moment to apologize in advance if I might rant tomorrow night. I tend to hit the sauce kind of hard during games and let my emotions get the better of me. Majorvol witnessed this firsthand during the Georgia game. I just hope I don't do anything that makes me unworthy of the most holy pom pom pants.

Let's hope for a celebration afterwards instead of a rant. Either way heads will hurt on Sunday morning.:rock:

Thanks. It's great to see a post based on reality. We have had too many posts way over the top and too many way under the bottom.

Very true and a lot of the posts go from one extreme to the other, kind of Bi-polar. I have to say I agree with DH, but I also feel if I go into a game thinking we are going to lose what's the point of watching the game.

I would still be satisfied with six wins. I still believe this to be a 6-8 win team.

Hey guys! I have been waiting for the appropriate thread to get this off my chest, and I think I finally found it. My daddy and I have lengthy discussions about the upcoming campaign heading into the opening weeks of a new season. We discuss our "realistic" expectations for the season, (going into August, mine were 6-6: winning a big one we aren't supposed to, but dropping one we shouldn't) Without a doubt, I still think that prediction is attainable. I've only recently started posting, but I have been following VolNation for years. There are "NegaVols" who think the world is ending every single Saturday. There are "Sunshine Pumpers" who think we will win even when lined up against the four horsemen of the Apocalypse. In my mind, being a "realist" is a healthy dose of logic, with an extra few dashes of a miracle here and there. Regardless of the outcome tomorrow night, I have faith in this coaching staff and team. I know what we are up against this weekend in Oxford, but I also believe in miracles...

Prior to the season starting I said that UT could finish the season 5-7 and be a "better" team. Last season there were blowouts all over the schedule. This season that hasn't been the case, so far.

I thought UT made significant strides in the UGA game and regressed in the UF game. If this team can keep it together over the next 3 games then they'll be in good shape for the late season games.

I'm interested in seeing what UT can do tomorrow night to keep the game close.

VN Store

Back