Post Spring Analysis: Offense

FredWhite2

OB:
Justin Worley- Coming out of the spring as QB 1a, Worley showed he has leadership capabilities, but with the injury problems at WR and the implementation of a new system, it was tough to gage where he is in terms of decision making and overall ability. He needs to LIVE in the film room and fully grasp this offense (protection schemes, concepts, and formations) before summer camp rolls around.

Nathan Peterman- He showed better running ability than Worley, but was forced to take the majority of his reps with a sub par WR corps. Due to injuries, he was throwing to walk-ons most of the time and it really hurt him in the spring game unfortunately. He has also been mentioned by the coaching staff as someone who has shown leadership qualities. I think Peterman is a better overall fit for this offense due to his mobility, but he needs to LIVE in the film room and become a master of this offense as well if he hopes to dethrone Worley come fall camp.

RB:

Rajon Neal- The returning starter from a year ago could really prosper in this running scheme with his speed and improving toughness. Jay Graham did wonders for this kid's running style, teaching him how to lower his pads and run through defenders rather than absorbing the blow. Neal must improve his pass protection as he stills struggles at times with picking up blitzing defenders on passing plays. The screen passing game that coach Jake likes to run will also benefit Neal, who is a natural pass catcher out of the backfield. If Lane cannot make it back from his hiatus, Neal will need to stay healthy for our running game to be successful.

Marlin Lane- Lane began spring ball as RB 1b behind Neal. His quickness will serve him well in this running attack. Lane was having a promising spring until he was dismissed from team activities during the last week of spring practice. Coach Jones insists he can still make it back on the team if he "does everything he needs to do" but this is not a good sign from someone we are counting on to carry the load rushing the ball with Neal. Lane needs to act like an upper classmen and become a more mature football player to help take some pressure off of Neal.

Alden Hill- Perhaps the biggest surprise of the skill players on offense this spring, Hill has looked better than expected running the ball. He is the biggest RB we have and runs with tenacity. His downhill style will come in handy in short yardage situations, and if Lane can't return or Hill lives in the weight room this off season I'd look for him to see about 10 touches per game this fall.

Wide Receiver:

Jason Croom- Croom has the body of an H-back, but was probably our best play making threat before he was injured this spring. His injury isn't severe, but we will need him to stay healthy as he is a young kid and our best option to win the 1v1 battles on the outside at the moment on our team. If he can gain a step this off season he will be a serious threat as a number one option that this group definitely needs.

Pig Howard- Pig had good days and bad days this spring. One day he'd look like the play making slot receiver we've been waiting on him to be, and the next he'd look lost or have key drops. This offense relies on utilizing its slot receivers in space to cause matchup problems for the opposing defense. Howard has the ability and has flashed his potential at times, he just needs to be more consistent and step up.

Devrin Young- Young and Howard in the slot would be scary if we can get two guys to step up on the outside as well. Young is still learning the WR position as he was kind of a hybrid last year under Dooley. This kid knows how to work and I have no doubt he will dedicate himself to learning this position and becoming a threat opposite Howard in the slot come fall. Young will also compete for kickoff and punt return duties as well.

Paul Harris- Harris is an early enrollee and it showed at times this spring. Coaches even made him wear number 91 for a couple practices in order to light a fire under him to "earn" his number 1 jersey back. Once Harris learns to adapt to this level of play, he will be a solid option for us. Unfortunately we need him to be ready now as our depth on the outside at receiver especially is very low.

Jacob Carter- This kid is the most consistent receiver we have. He's not going to blow anyone away with is athleticism, but before he went down he was our best overall WR. He even was given a chance to return punts, but I believe that to be more of coach Jones lighting a fire under Devrin and co. than anything else. Carter will be a solid possession receiver for us this fall.

Cody Blanc- Probably our only bright spot at the WR position in the spring game. You saw Worley look his way a lot mainly b/c he's the only receiver who might play come fall Worley had to throw to in the O&W game. Blanc showed his play making ability when he took that hitch route to the house against our ones in the O&W game. He is still young and will continue to develop with more reps.

Tight Ends:

Brendon Downs- By far our number one TE right now on the squad. Unfortunately he was injured and could not play in the O&W game, but I would be shocked if he weren't starting when we lineup against Austin Peay. Downs will need to stay healthy once the season starts as he is our only TE with any game experience.

Justin King- This kid has been here for one year and has played four different positions. Having settled at TE finally, he is still learning the position. He is probably the best athlete we have, but it will take him some time to learn yet another new position. He has potential to be a solid H-back type in the future.

Offensive Line:

JaWaun James- This kid has payed his dues as a Vol throughout his career. A starter at RT since his freshman season, James has evolved into an NFL prospect and will anchor our line at RT this year. He has taken on the leadership role as the "father" of the OL and has shown versatility moving back and forth between RT and LT.

Zack Fulton- Another returning starter on this unit for the Vols, Fulton will be a solid player for us this year at RG next to James. He was forced to play tackle some in spring, but that was only due to Tiny being out. Fulton is one of the best run blockers we have on this team and is paving his way to be playing on Sundays next year.

James Stone- Stone returns to anchor the middle of the line as our center. Stone has to learn another offense, which might've caused him some learning pains in spring ball. I wouldn't worry too much about that come fall camp as this group is really tight and will help each other out. If stone can get stronger this off season, it will really help him be able to push people around better and become a potential NFL player at his position.

Alex Bullard- Bullard can play every position on the offensive line. His versatility is truly unique. However, he is penciled to be the starter at LG if we had to play tomorrow. He will be pushed by Jackson this summer and fall, but unless he slacks off (which has been a problem for him in the past) I think he will be starting when we open the season.

Tiny Richardson- Did not participate in many activities in spring ball due to the rehab of his off season shoulder surgery. He has been lifting and running with the team and is one of the leaders of this squad as a junior. His ceiling is through the roof as evident of the game he played against Clowney last year (minus the last play of the game). Unfortunately I think this will be his last year on Rocky Top b/c the NFL will come calling his name next year.

Marcus Jackson- Maybe the strongest (other than Tiny) lineman we have. His ability to push people around in the running game is special. His size (6'1) allows him to get low and use his leverage very well to accompany his strength. He will fight Bullard for the starting spot at LG next to Tiny this year. It will be a battle to keep an eye on.

Mack Crowder- I am very impressed with this kid. I honestly do not see a difference between him and Stone. He will provide quality depth at center for us this year. He really looked great this spring and played a great O&W game as well. He will start at C next year for sure and could even fight for playing time if he continues to improve during the summer.

Overall the strength of this unit will be the OL. We will go as far as they take us. The QB situation could get crowded when Dobbs and Ferguson arrive this summer as well. A lot of talk has been around the excitement of Dobb's arrival especially due to his intelligence and fit for this offensive system. Another name to watch out for this summer is WR Marquez North. North is a born play maker and we will need him to learn and adapt quickly to help us at a position we desperately need a playmaker.

Reactions: 6 people
I figure am one of the least surprised people on this board that Hill looked good. This offense is practically perfect for his skill set. And while some people don’t think so-and I get that-his game and stature really remind me of Arian Foster.

And as far as the QBs and chemistry with the receivers...I think they will get a ton of work with the guys that are here. I think these guys are disciplined and have the work ethic and leadership to get the guys to come and do the ghosts. What I’ve heard from DY and Croom is that they are already turning the lights off when they leave.

The worst thing I saw with the QBs in the O&W game was the timing and pattern recognition. They use some pretty easy formations, and they don’t have a zillion concepts. Of all the groups that can really improve working on air, it’s the QBs and receivers. And when Quinn and Branisel get here, and if the other guys can get healthy, then the QBs will look even better.

Reactions: 1 person
I watched for the first time last night. The offense looked awful. Defense looked good but it's the OW game.

Hill will still be used primarily as a back up imo, but it was nice to see him play with some fight this spring.

Very nice post. I agree that if the eventual starting QB and the receivers can get some familiarity with each other and the correct routes, we'll be happier sooner, rather than later.

Honestly, I expect 3 or 4 of our OL being drafted next year.

Hell, we potentially could have 6 or 7 guys in the draft.

While I appreciate the write up, and agree in part....I think it is impossible to really judge the offensive production with the QBs in a red jersey. Other than formations, I don't think we have any real idea about what this O will look like on gameday.

While I appreciate the write up, and agree in part....I think it is impossible to really judge the offensive production with the QBs in a red jersey. Other than formations, I don't think we have any real idea about what this O will look like on gameday.

I agree Lex. Combine this with the amount of skilled talent we had on the sidelines, I wouldn't be surprised if the O came out and shocked a lot of people this season.

Good read, but you left out Vincent Dallas and Drae Bowles. I think both of those guys will be significant contributors in the fall.

Great write up. Thank you Fred.

I agree with Lex on judging the QBs. They were running the zone read option and the defense knew they would hand off to the RB. The sacks were just touches that resulted in premature whistles or didn't give the QBs the angst of being hit when they throw. We know Worley can complete passes because he did it in games. It's really hard to evaluate how they will do next year from the OW game.

this....between the red jerseys and the defense only having to touch the QB for him to be down, there was no "real" threat of the QB keeping it at all.

Thanks to our diligent posters and mod this site is the best of it's kind. :yes: :rock: :thumbsup:

Before I offer my thoughts, I just need to preface my comments by noting that I am not a coach and don't pretend to be an expert. So my thoughts are as a fan. When I watched Worley, it was clear he was reading and making his checkdowns. You could actually see his head moving from receiver to receiver. Peterman on the other hand seemed to lock on his 1st option and stayed with him. This surprised me because I expected him to be further along than that. While the playbook was limited and Peterman was playing with the 2nd string players, he still should be making his reads. Seemed to me that he forced throws to covered WRs when he had other options.
I agree with everyone that Hill looked to be a real threat. He runs with power and purpose. I still believe Lane will be back so Hill's emergence will just give the coaches another option.

Excellent post. I do think the O&W game was not indicative of what the offense will look like come Fall. CBJ didn't have enough WRs to really show off his style. The new WRs will get some playing time, though they might not be ready to depend on early.

Summer workouts will be critical for Worley, Peterman, and the receivers to develop their timing, communication, and comfort levels with each other. I really hope most if not all of the receivers who were held out of spring practice will be available this summer as I think that those who are involved in the summer workouts will have a definite leg up going into fall camp.

Good read, but you left out Vincent Dallas and Drae Bowles. I think both of those guys will be significant contributors in the fall.

I did forget about Vincent Dallas...

During spring ball with all of the injuries to everyone else at WR, Dallas had to opportunity to make a strong case to be a contributor this fall for us at receiver. I'm not saying he will not play b/c he will most definitely see the field, but he did not separate himself as much as the brass would have liked from a veteran guy with some game experience in the SEC. Dallas needs to be more consistent in catching the ball. I think he could be adjusting to taking a leadership role in the WR room with Rodgers and Hunter gone it is now his time to step up and take control of this unit.

Drae Bowles has been a puzzling one for me so far. He shows little flashes that he can be a good WR for us, but does not show them enough to warrant serious playing time. I think Drae will contribute mainly on special teams this year for us while continuing to learn this new system. Maybe something clicks in the off season, but as of right now if everyone returns healthy and Jenkins and North come in ready to go, Bowles will be mainly used on ST.

VN Store

Back