Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

I’m totally confused by your posts regarding turf. If you develop better on it, why do scouts not like it? If scouts don’t think it gives a true indication of your skill set then how does one develop better on it? I’d say it’s easier to field on and hence why it likely “tricks” scouts because everything is smooth. If everything is smooth and consistently repeatable then you’re not completely developed; you’ve proven you can field a rolling ball and little more.

There is a huge divide in scouting these days. Old school vs new. Old scouts wants to see bad hops and such. That’s why many think Dominicans are the way to go. I personally think infielders at a young age develop better on turf because fundamentals are reinforced without the fear bad hops

a similar type discussion with scouts would be evaluating hitters using metal instead of wood

Reactions: jp1
There is a huge divide in scouting these days. Old school vs new. Old scouts wants to see bad hops and such. That’s why many think Dominicans are the way to go. I personally think infielders at a young age develop better on turf because fundamentals are reinforced without the fear bad hops

a similar type discussion with scouts would be evaluating hitters using metal instead of wood
I would want to see the hops, bounces, skips as well. It may be lack of focus or crowd noise etc on the road but that’s where our mistakes consistently happen and in 95% of those situations we’re on a natural field. That shouldn’t be an excuse because at the end of the day you’re an SEC level defender and should have enough experience on grass and clay by the time you’re 18-22 but at the same time I can’t help but think the way it plays differently than turf has had an impact. I would think the ball gets on you quicker on turf so you know you have time to make the play whereas perhaps grass causes one to rush a little if the ball is playing slower. Most of CMO’s errors this year didn’t appear to be balls that took odd bounces but more so him pulling up on the ball too soon.

And because you were considerate of the fact others are hurt by it (truthfully, a better way of saying it than “they find it offensive”), you stopped using it. And it didn’t kill you. It didn’t cause you damage in any way. You chose kindness.

Folks who dig in and act like they’re the ones who are put upon because they want to continue to use hurtful language after being told it’s hurtful are childish. Why is it so important to them that they continue to use those words? Why are they so invested? It takes zero effort to NOT say a word.
I agree with you there. Consideration for others isn’t a high priority for most these days. I see it everywhere; in schools, at the grocery store, in my work. People just don’t think and some just don’t care.

Scouts/MLB teams don't seem to have a problem drafting based on HS competition (hs pitching/hitting) or aluminum bats. Why should turf be any different? There's enough summer ball metrics on the books and a Scouts gonna scout, right?

no one is saying they won’t draft anyone because of it. Just saying every small little bump up or down a prospect gets from scouts can mean a lot of money

Reactions: Vtonerider
Basilio just said he is hearing “in the baseball world the feeling is, the longer this goes on the greater a chance burns comes back” that’s the first time I have heard that there is even consideration he comes back especially after Tony v coming out publicly and saying they wish him well at a new spot. Players don’t come back after everything he supposedly said around the program.

Reactions: volz2wallz
Basilio just said he is hearing “in the baseball world the feeling is, the longer this goes on the greater a chance burns comes back” that’s the first time I have heard that there is even consideration he comes back especially after Tony v coming out publicly and saying they wish him well at a new spot. Players don’t come back after everything he supposedly said around the program.

Definitely feels like agent driven nonsense to ensure tampering allegations don’t come out. JMO.

I feel like the longer it goes, the more time it gives LSU to throw a bag at him to try and sway him from going to TCU.

There are things called apologies and forgiveness.

From all the rumors and everything that has been said about the whole situation. This is definitely one “I believe it when I see it” type situation.

Not saying it is gonna happen but the key words are supposedly said. If he does come back, he will be the most hated player in UT history from some of you. I just hope he finds what he is needing in life and makes him happy.
I have asked multiple players what he actually said in dugout and most did not hear what many of you are quoting. Not saying he did not say it but that is not what many of the active players actually heard him say.

no one is saying they won’t draft anyone because of it. Just saying every small little bump up or down a prospect gets from scouts can mean a lot of money
This is exactly the point I was making in the sit out a year talk.

Not saying it is gonna happen but the key words are supposedly said. If he does come back, he will be the most hated player in UT history from some of you. I just hope he finds what he is needing in life and makes him happy.
I have asked multiple players what he actually said in dugout and most did not hear what many of you are quoting. Not saying he did not say it but that is not what many of the active players actually heard him say.

I would welcome him back. It isn't like he pulled a Tyler Bray, and quit on the team during the season. He busted his tail for Tenn, we don't get to Omaha without him.

I’d be floored if Burns returns

Maybe his agent is behind all this and Burns himself never wanted to leave. Who knows. But it’s hard to come back from the breakup they had.

But if my college dating life is any indication- nothing is impossible to come back from lol
or the agent now realizes that he was tampering from the get-go and realizes that he's screwed if he leaves Tennessee and the NCAA comes knocking......

I'd personally welcome Burns back with open arms, we all say and do things that we regret.

I think Chase is really misunderstood. Introverts often are and he seems like an incredibly hard worker with a passion for the game. I think he’d be welcomed back by his teammates and 99% of fans with open arms. I get a 20 year old wanting to start, and as long as his teammates and coaches would have him back, that’s all that matters to me.

I think Chase is really misunderstood. Introverts often are and he seems like an incredibly hard worker with a passion for the game. I think he’d be welcomed back by his teammates and 99% of fans with open arms. I get a 20 year old wanting to start, and as long as his teammates and coaches would have him back, that’s all that matters to me.
I disagree. Fans would forgive and forget immediately because he’s immensely talented. I think the locker room would be the slowest to welcome him back.

I take a live and let live approach to life. I deliberately did not post anything in the Burns appreciation thread because I highly suspected there were many people who were trashing him. I make it a habit not to trash anyone. While everyone has the right to express their opinion, very few know anything first hand; as the old cliche goes, I have not walked a mile in his shoes. We read rumors on top of rumors on top of rumors. I have always backed athletes in Orange unless they have broken the law. Chase is one of my favorite Vols. I know nothing about his feelings or his relationships with others. I am aware that people who I like very much sometimes do not like or get along with each other. There is nothing I can do about that. If he leaves, I hope it is for his reasons, whatever they are, and not because he is being misled. This board has me believing he is gone and he very well may be. And if he does come back somehow, I will continue to support him as before no questions asked. Preacherman says it best, I just hope he finds what he is needing in life and makes him happy. I wish that for all of us.

I know you are very connected! Your son is one of my favorites on the team! I dont have a problem with burns personally! I think him leaving is beyond a stupid mistake. He should have just killed the closing spot and still went first in the draft! He was not good at the first of the year and moving him to the pen was great for him! He improved. But I do know Ben and swain are connected also and for both of them to say that that’s most of the stuff that has come out about burns and TCU behind the scenes and all the different agents behind the scenes is true, that sounds like burns is a little bit of a Diva. But I would welcome him back with open arms.. because he would have a point to prove which would make him an even better pitcher.

Reactions: HeadVol77

VN Store

Back