Poll: If Barnes Leaves...

If Barnes Leaves, would you welcome back Bruce?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't for the life of me see why Barnes would want to go to UCLA. No doubt, UCLA is a prestige job, but Barnes is almost 65 years old. Does he really want to start over again when he has a good thing going here? He's close to home and he's never coached on the West Coach before. He'd leave a high-paying job where he's a hero for a job where expectations are to go to the Final Four every few years.

The media is saying he'd definitely take the job if offered, but just seems very odd to me. Given the situation there, he probably wouldn't even be competitive till 2022 at the earliest.
Well if the media says it, then it must be true. I agree that it makes no sense for Rick to leave, but who knows what lurks in the shadows!

Bruce took 5 years to get enough players at Auburn, he's not bailing unless there is something a foot.

Stop. Please. Bruce is NOT coming back here. This is Jon Gruden all over again. Fulmer most likely won't even make the call because of the investigations hanging over Bruce's head. Losing Barnes will already be hard enough. Fans do not need to work themselves into a lather and start to believe Bruce is "coming home." It's. Not. Happening.

Stop. Please. Bruce is NOT coming back here. This is Jon Gruden all over again. Fulmer most likely won't even make the call because of the investigations hanging over Bruce's head. Losing Barnes will already be hard enough. Fans do not need to work themselves into a lather and start to believe Bruce is "coming home." It's. Not. Happening.
This is a message board people can express their opinions and say what they want

Reactions: vfl_gbo
This is a message board people can express their opinions and say what they want

No duh. It's not about expressing opinions. Say what you want, but the longer this goes on and fans gets this idea that Almighty Bruce is coming home for a redemption storyline the worse it will be when we inevitably hire a mid-major coach and everyone is disappointed that "we didn't go after Bruce." We've seen this storyline playout with the Gruden stuff. Let's not do this for basketball, please.

No duh. It's not about expressing opinions. Say what you want, but the longer this goes on and fans gets this idea that Almighty Bruce is coming home for a redemption storyline the worse it will be when we inevitably hire a mid-major coach and everyone is disappointed that "we didn't go after Bruce." We've seen this storyline playout with the Gruden stuff. Let's not do this for basketball, please.
We shouldn't be happy with a mid major head coach and we should beeyotch to high heaven about unempressive head coaching hires. Tennessee is too good for that and deserves better than that.

We shouldn't be happy with a mid major head coach and we should beeyotch to high heaven about unempressive head coaching hires. Tennessee deserves better than that.

I'm not saying otherwise. You aren't understanding my post. It's not about how good of a job Tennessee is. This is about Bruce specifically. Many UT fans, yourself included, have been Bruce disciples since the moment he left waiting on the perfect opportunity for the almighty to come back home and pick back up where he left off. As appealing as this sounds, it will not happen. Ever.

Bruce currently has both the NCAA and FBI breathing down his neck and several of his past assistants. Fulmer, a rookie AD, is incredibly unlikely to even make the call. And even assuming that he does it is far from a guarantee that Bruce would come back.

Tennessee deserves an elite coach. That is indisputable. But it's not going to be Bruce and the longer this unhealthy idea is floated around out there than the worse the fan reaction will be when he isn't hired.

Once they apply the Cali taxes to Barnes, that $5 million is cut by a lot compared to Rocky Top.

I'm not saying otherwise. You aren't understanding my post. It's not about how good of a job Tennessee is. This is about Bruce specifically. Many UT fans, yourself included, have been Bruce disciples since the moment he left waiting on the perfect opportunity for the almighty to come back home and pick back up where he left off. As appealing as this sounds, it will not happen. Ever.

Bruce currently has both the NCAA and FBI breathing down his neck and several of his past assistants. Fulmer, a rookie AD, is incredibly unlikely to even make the call. And even assuming that he does it is far from a guarantee that Bruce would come back.

Tennessee deserves an elite coach. That is indisputable. But it's not going to be Bruce and the longer this unhealthy idea is floated around out there than the worse the fan reaction will be when he isn't hired.

Bruce does not have the NCAA/FBI breathing down his neck.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

Do you really think UT can attract an "elite" coach? When I think of the "elite" names in this sport, I can't see a single one that would leave their current jobs for the rebuild that UT is facing especially if Bone and Grant leave. Hell, even if Grant and Bone come back for one more year, I still can't think of a single name that would make a move.

Do you really think UT can attract an "elite" coach? When I think of the "elite" names in this sport, I can't see a single one that would leave their current jobs for the rebuild that UT is facing especially if Bone and Grant leave. Hell, even if Grant and Bone come back for one more year, I still can't think of a single name that would make a move.

I don't know. Therein lies the rub as they say. I think TN is an elite job, because of our resources and fan support. But if Barnes leaves the program will be in arguably just as bad of a state as it was when he found it because 4 of your 6 leading scorers will be gone. Josiah James will maybe ask for a transfer. And I would not be surprised if Bowden or Turner does the same.

An elite coach more than likely wouldn't come with a depleted roster, but Tennessee is indeed a great job. The worst part about all this is the timing, because if Barnes leaves a week or two ago then there are a lot of great coaches still out there. But with Buzz, Musselman, Oates, Kelvin Sampson, etc. all off the board you are most likely looking at a mid-major coach. People can hate me all they want, but this is the reality of the situation whether you like it or not.

I don't know. Therein lies the rub as they say. I think TN is an elite job, because of our resources and fan support. But if Barnes leaves the program will be in arguably just as bad of a state as it was when he found it because 4 of your 6 leading scorers will be gone. Josiah James will maybe ask for a transfer. And I would not be surprised if Bowden or Turner does the same.

An elite coach more than likely wouldn't come with a depleted roster, but Tennessee is indeed a great job. The worst part about all this is the timing, because if Barnes leaves a week or two ago then there are a lot of great coaches still out there. But with Buzz, Musselman, Oates, Kelvin Sampson, etc. all off the board you are most likely looking at a mid-major coach. People can hate me all they want, but this is the reality of the situation whether you like it or not.

I don't disagree. I think that's the reality of this situation. If I'm the person making the call, I'll release any player on the roster that asks for it. I'd rather they leave the conference though, but I couldn't expect any of the players to remain if Barnes left. Oh...and I'd not let James go to UCLA either. Having said that I'd try to get the players to sit tight and see who the new coach turns out to be before making a decision....well...James anyway.

VN Store

Back