Police can get your DNA from ancestry sites without your consent

Ironically, the FDA shut down 23 and Me for awhile because they were giving you (the owner of your DNA) the information about your genetic code. The FDA decided you can't handle it if they told you about what disease genes you carry. I believe they've finally relented.

However, the government can have whatever access they want to your DNA.

1. In the case mentioned, they got a warrant. I’m not sure what the issue is at all.

2. I’m also not sure I see this as a “privacy” issue. If you don’t want strangers to have your DNA don’t mail it to other strangers. I think if you’re mailing buccal swans back and forth across the country or whatever then you’re just not as protective of your genetic profile or whatever.

I’m very much in favor of a limited government, but this seems like an article designed to help people find something to get upset about.

Guess I am gonna have to make sure I wear gloves when I go robbin' and stabbin'

Didn't his trial kind of invalidate the whole DNA thingy anyway? I mean there was something like a 1 in 3 billion chance the DNA belonged to someone else and he still got acquitted.

In one of those mind jumps from one thing to another, I thought of something a little similar. The chain of evidence thing, and how much or little proof the testing labs can show that the samples are uncontaminated and are definitely tied to the person who claims to have submitted the sample. For starters, they can't make any claims whatsoever to the validity of the collection process - simply not present.

It would seem a moderately sharp defense lawyer could get the whole connection trashed on grounds that the Ancestry (or other) DNA process does not meet criminal lab control; and that even if that DNA analysis could make someone a suspect, it is nothing more than hearsay and can't even be used to force someone to submit a legally recognized sample. Perhaps even to try and use it as a reason to take a look at someone was the same as profiling.

Since these DNA labs stand to lose money, it would stand to reason that they themselves would make a strong claim that their process, while maybe good, doesn't and was never intended to meet the standards used in the criminal justice realm. And then there's the legal lottery thing - somebody "harassed" by the cops suing the hell out of Ancestry or whoever for releasing information in ways never intended.

Reactions: 1 person
So?

You purposefully give someone your DNA to analyze it, you waive your right to privacy.

The only people who should be unhappy about this are the DNA companies because of conspiracy freakazoids who think there's something sinister about it.

In one of those mind jumps from one thing to another, I thought of something a little similar. The chain of evidence thing, and how much or little proof the testing labs can show that the samples are uncontaminated and are definitely tied to the person who claims to have submitted the sample. For starters, they can't make any claims whatsoever to the validity of the collection process - simply not present.

It would seem a moderately sharp defense lawyer could get the whole connection trashed on grounds that the Ancestry (or other) DNA process does not meet criminal lab control; and that even if that DNA analysis could make someone a suspect, it is nothing more than hearsay and can't even be used to force someone to submit a legally recognized sample. Perhaps even to try and use it as a reason to take a look at someone was the same as profiling.

Since these DNA labs stand to lose money, it would stand to reason that they themselves would make a strong claim that their process, while maybe good, doesn't and was never intended to meet the standards used in the criminal justice realm. And then there's the legal lottery thing - somebody "harassed" by the cops suing the hell out of Ancestry or whoever for releasing information in ways never intended.

I thought pretty much the same thing. Where's the proof that the DNA was submitted by the suspect? BUT... it could still maybe be used in an investigation without being used as evidence in a trial.

So?

You purposefully give someone your DNA to analyze it, you waive your right to privacy.

The only people who should be unhappy about this are the DNA companies because of conspiracy freakazoids who think there's something sinister about it.

what about the third party family members whose privacy gets waved? thats been my concern from the start. never heard of a criminal case using a family member's DNA without their consent.

I think the point is somebody submits DNA to Ancestry. A cousin commits a crime. The submitted DNA shows a strong familial match to DNA evidence, so the cops go on a witch hunt basically profiling family members. The problem is that even if the person who submitted the DNA waived his or her rights, not much way it can extend to familial matches - wouldn't that be unlawful search and seizure? Too many problems; allowing criminal justice to get their hands on the genealogical DNA simply needs to get shut down.

I think the point is somebody submits DNA to Ancestry. A cousin commits a crime. The submitted DNA shows a strong familial match to DNA evidence, so the cops go on a witch hunt basically profiling family members. The problem is that even if the person who submitted the DNA waived his or her rights, not much way it can extend to familial matches - wouldn't that be unlawful search and seizure? Too many problems; allowing criminal justice to get their hands on the genealogical DNA simply needs to get shut down.

That's a lot "and then"'s

They have really been pushing these kits for the holidays, I wonder if anyone does these as a fun family thing and finds out someone’s adopted or the uncle’s kid or something.

They have really been pushing these kits for the holidays, I wonder if anyone does these as a fun family thing and finds out someone’s adopted or the uncle’s kid or something.

tumblr_lxgiudrbMy1r4gxx2o1_400.gif

Reactions: 2 people
I took all this into consideration and still went ahead and got my cyber monday deal from 23andme yesterday. If it bites me in the ass in the future, it's on me, knowing what I know.

VN Store

Back