Playoff Chaos Tomorrow

FSU has won ugly, but the bottomline is they've won. They're the only major conference team undefeated. If that doesn't get you into the play-offs, then the play-offs are extremely effed up.

And I hate FSU, and I really hate Jameis Winston, but undefeated is undefeated.

Reactions: 1 person
SO In Bama's bowl game they get to pick Sugar Bowl and they play one of the 4 that counts as their Play off game??

So FS undefeated don't get the #1 because of who all they played?

Last edited:
Didn't the committee say last week that they had TCU as 3rd, because they re-evaluate it week after week? If they're looking only at this week, who's win is more impressive? That's your 4 seed.

TCU (11-1): SOS - 9th; 4 ranked wins (when they played); only 3 wins by 7 points or less. Only loss was to another top 10 team.

Baylor (11-1): SOS - 16th; 3 ranked wins; 2 wins by less than 7 points. Only loss was to a decent WVU team on the road by 14.

Ohio State (12-1): SOS - 33rd; 3 ranked wins; 2 wins by 7 or less. Only loss was to below average VaTech. at home early in the year by 14.

Hard to argue against OSU. I still value a big ten champ more than co-champs of the big 12. But if you don't look at the names of the teams who they lose to, then I think TCU should earn the 4th spot. Great SOS, only loss to another top 5ish team. Fairly dominant all year and not as bad of a loss to OSU.

TCU (11-1): SOS - 9th; 4 ranked wins (when they played); only 3 wins by 7 points or less. Only loss was to another top 10 team.

Baylor (11-1): SOS - 16th; 3 ranked wins; 2 wins by less than 7 points. Only loss was to a decent WVU team on the road by 14.

Ohio State (12-1): SOS - 33rd; 3 ranked wins; 2 wins by 7 or less. Only loss was to below average VaTech. at home early in the year by 14.

Hard to argue against OSU. I still value a big ten champ more than co-champs of the big 12. But if you don't look at the names of the teams who they lose to, then I think TCU should earn the 4th spot. Great SOS, only loss to another top 5ish team. Fairly dominant all year and not as bad of a loss to OSU.

12-1 by virtue of the extra win against a ranked team, in a championship game.

If 11-1, head to head has to matter.

12-1 by virtue of the extra win against a ranked team, in a championship game.

If 11-1, head to head has to matter.

Yes, that's one of the main criteria they will judge by. But evidently with the way they've been ranking the last couple weeks who knows. I would have never put TCU in 3rd to begin with.

I still say Baylor should get the nod over TCU based on the head-to-head. That in itself is almost as if they've already had a play-off game and Baylor won. Say what you will, but the team that wins on the field is considered the better team. Baylor won the game.

As noted between Baylor and OSU, each played three ranked(at the time) opponents. I don't understand how the hell Minnesota was ranked, but somehow they were #25 when they played OSU. Baylor still had the tougher SoS. Their only loss was at West Virginia, who I think finished 7-5. Ohio State lost at home to VA Tech. Did VA Tech even finish with a winning record?

All this talk about week-to-week should only have been valid during the season. The season is over. Now you weigh the full body of work. Is the OSU rout tonight of Wisconsin enough for them to deserve to make it in? IMO, no, but I think the committee will screw it up and put them in over Baylor and TCU. Honestly, based off the full body of work, I think OSU should be #6, but I highly doubt the committee will actually look at the entirety of the season like they should.

Won't that SOS take a big hit if Oklahoma and Kansas St. drop out of the top 25?

Where are those SOS from? ESPN showed OSU at 45, TCU at 54 and Baylor at 59.

NCAA created another clusterfawk imo. 8 teams. That's what it should be. That's one extra game per team. I think the players can handle it.

Yes, I know some think that'll just create the drive to add more teams and games, but how often will we see more than 8 teams from power conferences with one loss or less? I won't care when the two loss teams begin to argue. Fawk 'em. 8 teams is the way to go.

Turned on ESPN, no surprise, Finebaum has his head firmly up Saban's ass.

They don't deserve it, but OSU will be in. ESPN hasn't sold anything this hard since Charles Woodson.

Also, those posters who have never believed in rooting for a team in your conference when playing out of conference, take note. Strength of conference scheduling has been mentioned several times by broadcasters tonight. Losing out of conference games negatively effects the SEC, which could someday bite us on the ass. We want the conference to maintain that strong image so someday, if UT is a one loss team looking to make it in, we won't be having the same doubts currently thrown at the Big 12 and the Big 10. Like it or not, having our hated rivals win OOC games ultimately helps us down the road. Losing will only hurt us.

Also, those posters who have never believed in rooting for a team in your conference when playing out of conference, take note. Strength of conference scheduling has been mentioned several times by broadcasters tonight. Losing out of conference games negatively effects the SEC, which could someday bite us on the ass. We want the conference to maintain that strong image so someday, if UT is a one loss team looking to make it in, we won't be having the same doubts currently thrown at the Big 12 and the Big 10. Like it or not, having our hated rivals win OOC games ultimately helps us down the road. Losing will only hurt us.

I always pull for SEC teams. Always.

Except Bama.
**** Bama.

Nothing changes. Bama, Oregon, TCU, FSU. First two out are tOSU and Baylor. Bama, Oregon, and TCU won convincingly. TCU is in solely on the #3 ranking and a 52 point win (over an unranked opponent). You can't leave a 13-0 FSU team out.

The committee set themselves up for this one. They saw the schedule; they knew the weekends' games. If they were going to vault Baylor over TCU, they should have done it earlier. By putting FSU 4th, they put the 1st 3 teams in a position where all they had to do is win, and they're in.

I'd like to see what Baylor and Ohio State could do in a playoff, but I doubt if it will be this year. The argument for an 8-team playoff just got a lot stronger.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
I was pulling for Miss. State this year--too bad they botched their year in oxford.

I think it comes down to "who had the tougher schedule" -vs- "who had the worse loss". The latter would seem to be the tack that the committee took back when it ranked TCU ahead of Baylor. TCU's 3 point loss to Baylor put them ahead of Baylor's 14 point hiccup against WVU.

But, if that's the case, then how does Ohio State, with that stinker against Va Tech, vault past Baylor? Especially when you consider that Baylor lost on the road, and tOSU lost at home?

Schedule strength? Games against Top 10 / 15 / 25 opponents? Record against common opponents? Margin of victory? Feng shui?

I can see TCU, Baylor or Ohio State making it in. But the committee put TCU in the Top 4, and TCU did enough to stay there. If they drop out, then it calls into question the entire process by which the CFP committee decides "Who's In?"

And perhaps rightfully so.

Go Vols.

I don't think there is one person on ESPN not lobbying for Ohio St. Not a big surprise

I will plead some ignorance in this (ok, a lot). I realize TCU won handily, but did so to an unranked opponent. If other teams did the same, things would stay as they are, but... other teams' wins should be calculated with strength of opponent factoring in. This would put TCU out. I am no Ohio State fan, but I do want the strongest teams in.

They don't deserve it, but OSU will be in. ESPN hasn't sold anything this hard since Charles Woodson.

I'm afraid your right. TCU will probably get screwed today. I hope not, but won't be surprised.

VN Store

Back