Playing field leveled?

Playing field has not leveled for the Vols yet, the old saying Rome wasn't built in a day should apply to rebuilding the Vols.....it will take several years to close the talent gap UT is presently expieriencing

Not by a long shot unfortunately.

1...Their player roster is still lots better than ours.

2...Alot will depend on how many Oregon coaches he takes with him to the NFL ranks.

If alot of the coaches stay at Oregon instead of going to the NFL then there might be very little change in their O and D systems especially is one of their current coaches stays on and takes over as the new Head Coach.

It's also very tough to make a trip that far away and get a Win even in the NFL where some teams arrive on the Leftist coast 2 days before gameday.

If bUTch get a Win out in Oregon that early in the season after we lose so much of our O firepower then he deserves a raise or a bonus check.

VFL...GBO!!!

As much as I agree with you, and as much as I hate to say this, a win over Oregon will be meaningless to this fanbase if he turns around and loses to Florida the next week. Tough situation for old bUTch to say the least.

No. Their roster is superior to ours any way you slice it. They are at home and they will crush us. DeAnthony Thomas will have a career day vs. our molasses defense.

Interesting you say that considering over the past 4 years we have finished, on average, 5 spots higher than Oregon in recruiting.

Its crazy how one bad coaching hire can impact a season so much. I don't think anyone realized what we were losing when Wilcox left.

No they didn't instead most were complaining of his so called "bend but don't break" philosophy which is just a worn out football cliche. Not only did we lose a very good DC he took our best recruiter with him.

Lol. You never know in here. It definitely just got a little more interesting. Its going to be a long 8 months. September cant get here soon enough

The last time they came to Knoxville, believe it or not with Dooley & Sims as his QB we were tied at the half. The second half of that game we may as well have stayed in the locker room, they couldn't have scored any more against us if we had.

story of dooley, didn't realize it then, but makes since now...poor guy couldn't make halftime adjustments/remotivate the team to come out:no:

"RE-motivate" ? Not being smarty pants at all but, well if your tied at the half, what is half-time for as far as motivation ? Seems like the OVER matched Home Team was motivated in the 1st half, maybe I could see the whole "half-time adjustments" but (RE-motivisation) .... Ehhh, I think Dools believed in them and they didn't belive in themselves.
Then it became about heart and S/C ! We had neither.

playing field leveled

1247140047_mushroom-cloud.gif

I'll be curious to see how it plays out. Coaching matters and where I think they take a small step back, I think we take a big step forward. If you look at recruiting the last 3 years, talent wise should be very similar. I don't think it will be a sure loss at all. We'll see.

I'll be curious to see how it plays out. Coaching matters and where I think they take a small step back, I think we take a big step forward. If you look at recruiting the last 3 years, talent wise should be very similar. I don't think it will be a sure loss at all. We'll see.

The difference in talent doesn't really matter at this point.

The difference that matters is the fact that Oregon's players have actually been coached decently the last few years and aren't adjusting to a completely new system despite the coaching change.

Now that Chip Kelly is the head coach of the Eagles, has the playing field leveled?

I agree! it has been leveled. The Eagles have just as much a chance of winning the NFC East as the Redskins, Cowboys and Giants now. In fact, I predict that this is the most balanced division in football.

Thanks for that link. Key assistants leaving can certainly drag Oregon down to the status of mere mortals depending on how well the transition is managed.

If coaching were simply a matter of schematics and a winning system or process then presumably every team would switch to what they saw as the winning formula and be done with it. Coaches that implemented such winning strategies would win games if their player talent level and depth chart outmatched their opponents' but it doesn't happen that way and the game remains unpredictable.

I think Oregon will begin the season as a talent rich team whose potential performance, much like ours, will be very difficult to predict since the coach and assistants have no past record to judge with either team. It would foolish for us to assume events automatically favor but it's also foolish to assume that coaching is just a matter of schematics and coaching changes are just a matter of plug-in and play when someone who knows the system is promoted.

SI explored a bit of Kelly's intangibles in this article. The following snippet says quite a lot:

But that assumes Oregon's success was primarily a function of its schemes and play calling, perhaps an oversimplification. As Kelly frequently reminded reporters, "Win the Day" was a 365-day-a-year mantra, a three-word summation of the program's overarching philosophy. Oregon was such a machine in large part because seemingly every last player on the roster took on a part of Kelly's cocky personality and indifference to convention. The Ducks would attack, attack and attack some more until they wore you down. That required more than just a clever draw play on third-and-seven. That killer instinct was ingrained in their culture.

Take the game-turning touchdown drive in the aforementioned Fiesta Bowl. After watching Kansas State dominate most of the second quarter, cut an early 15-0 deficit to 15-10 and threaten to add another score, the Ducks seized on a costly Wildcats false start and an ensuing missed field goal. They drove 77 yards in five plays and 46 seconds to reassert control of the contest. It was a classic Oregon pedal-medal moment. Did it happen because the Ducks are trained to move quickly? Because Kelly got Lyerla involved at the right moment? Or because Kelly's teams follow their aggressive coach's lead and instinctively pounce?

James Harris whose role seems undefinable in many ways while being enormously important despite official titles is also leaving. However, one small detail from this older article is very revealing:

But Harris still wants more. His end goal, he says, is to be the alter ego of Chip Kelly -- or some other head football coach.

There will come a time, Harris believes, when universities will be willing to hire a head coaching duo. One person (Kelly, for example) would be solely in charge of Xs and Os, devoting all his time to gameplanning. The alter ego (Harris) would take care of everything else, while still holding the same authority.

It looks to me like Oregon is losing more than than the intellect and winning attitude of Kelly but also the heart and problem solver of the team, for lack of better words. Harris is the ideal XO/executive officer but it's clear that he is actually more of a co-equal or active second head coach than just a 2nd in command.

How all of this plays out in reality, or whether or not we've truly been given a gift in their game against us is just not very predictable.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back