Players who did not get a fair shake

As I look over the posts here on VN, it seems each year we (get) players who are deemed to be program changers; some are transfers and some are HS and JUCO recruits.

Not stating any criteria but asking, who are your top three candidates of players who did not seem to get a fair shake?

For me: Joey Matthews
Harrison Bailey
Brandon Stewart (Peyton was the correct choice)

I am QB heavy on my list but, I also think had Fulmer pushed, Jerry Colquit might have gotten his Sr year back. Also, Jalen Hurd could be on this list had Jones ran the I formation.
Lmao at Harrison Bailey. He’s up there with Ryan Periloux as the worst 5 star QBs in history. Gimme a break man. He couldn’t win the starting job at UNLV but he didn’t get a fair shake at UT? He got way more than a fair shake. He never should’ve had a scholarship offer from a place like Tennessee, but he got one. Memphis and MTSU had QBs that were more deserving of a roster spot at UT than Bailey. 😂

Harrison Bailey? Come on now. He transfered from Tennessee to UNLV and couldn’t win the job…at UNLV. Then transfered to Louisville as a preferred walk-on. Y’all got to let his 247/Rivals rankings go at some point. He’s not a good QB.

Preston Williams never got a chance. Kyle Phillips was playing nose tackle at 260lbs. Evan Berry would have been absurd as an offense weapon. Sheriron Jones seemed like a beast that was buried. Brandon Johnson was another guy I felt never got a chance, but he had so much potential.

As I look over the posts here on VN, it seems each year we (get) players who are deemed to be program changers; some are transfers and some are HS and JUCO recruits.

Not stating any criteria but asking, who are your top three candidates of players who did not seem to get a fair shake?

Harrison Bailey

I am QB heavy on my list but, I also think had Fulmer pushed, Jerry Colquit might have gotten his Sr year back. Also, Jalen Hurd could be on this list had Jones ran the I formation.
I always wondered why we didn't seem to try very hard to get another year for Colquitt.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Harrison Bailey? Come on now. He transfered from Tennessee to UNLV and couldn’t win the job…at UNLV. Then transfered to Louisville as a preferred walk-on. Y’all got to let his 247/Rivals rankings go at some point. He’s not a good QB.
Stars are all that matters….

Reactions: AllThingsTN
Unless you've spent time around football program its impossible to tell if players get a fair shake or not. I was around many practices for over 25 years. Trust me, coaches give players a fair shot. Many players fail to take advantage of their opportunities. I've watched many a talent loaf on the practice field and not put forth any effort. Some kids just don't want to put in the work. Whole lot more of that than not getting a chance. JMO

Bailey got as fair a shot as anyone and he just couldn’t play football at the sec level.
I don’t follow much recruiting outside of UT but is it common for 5 star QBs to fall that far? Or is he like a once in a decade bust? I mean to go from a 5 star at an SEC program to UNLV to a walk-on at Louisville without any off the field issues or injuries (or not that I know of at least) seems pretty wild.

Bailey got as fair a shot as anyone and he just couldn’t play football at the sec level.
I don’t follow much recruiting outside of UT but is it common for 5 star QBs to fall that far? Or is he like a once in a decade bust? I mean to go from a 5 star at an SEC program to UNLV to a walk-on at Louisville without any off the field issues or injuries (or at least none that I know of) seems pretty wild. Do you think he was just surrounded by so much talent in high school that he was misjudged?

I don’t follow much recruiting outside of UT but is it common for 5 star QBs to fall that far? Or is he like a once in a decade bust? I mean to go from a 5 star at an SEC program to UNLV to a walk-on at Louisville without any off the field issues or injuries (or not that I know of at least) seems pretty wild.
I’m not real sure. I would think there are 5 star busts year in and year out tho. Hate to use the word bust really tho, try to reserve that for nfl guys. They’re 17 18 year old kids. Some will make it some won’t

Butch was right. I can’t said Lyle, but Jalen would love been a better RB in the NFL than what he was as a WR.

I knew Jalen. We weren’t friends. We were acquainted. He had two best friends and one did my website and the other was/is like my younger brother. Jalen was not a big guy no matter what anyone says. He was built like a volleyball player or basketball player and was not husky at all. He was big by height but did not carry a ton of muscle. His body was giving out on him at RB and he either needed a different formation or needed to move spots. He was never going to make it in the NFL as a running back. He was injury prone in the nfl because he never truly healed from college. His final year at UT he could barely walk when home and had constant migraines. Butch scheme killed his career. Kid was just too tall and grew another 3 or 4 inches in college. He simply outgrew the position.

Preston Williams never got a chance.
He got a chance. I think he was upset Jauan Jennings beat him out for the WR2 position and didn't want to sit and wait.

He definitely would have been a factor in 2017 even before Jauan Jennings got hurt, but he had already transferred and was sitting out.
Brandon Johnson was another guy I felt never got a chance, but he had so much potential.
I think that drop in the endzone, the last play of the 2017 USCe game, might have messed with his confidence early on.
He was competing with a lot of WR's that went to the league despite the QB situation they all dealt with.

In today’s society/rules, I would love to have seen what one of the very best talents at RB to ever walk onto Shields Watkins, Travis Cozart (from Lenoir City or Loudon if I recall).
He and Billy Williams were local talent beyond description which never fully realized their potential). Cozart was a manchild from day one, and Billy just outran everyone.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

Harrison Bailey

Fulmer never got a fair shake as a GOAT guard. NFL slept on him

Reactions: Tman44

VN Store

Back