Playcalling

No downfield passing, short passing, screens, same run plays that gain little to no yards. I see very little difference in play calling.

The play calling was limited by the weather conditions and the fact that our OL was basically Smith and whoever the coaches could find to suit up. Also LSU has one of the best front sevens in the league. If Callaway hadn't fumbled the punts twice it would have been a much closer game.

Reactions: 1 person
The play calling was limited by the weather conditions and the fact that our OL was basically Smith and whoever the coaches could find to suit up. Also LSU has one of the best front sevens in the league. If Callaway hadn't fumbled the punts twice it would have been a much closer game.

Agreed
26 mph gusts and sideways rain don’t exactly help a young qb’s passing. We took some shots and were making connections in the first half before the deluge struck.
Have a ol with only five healthy players with game time against a monster dline doesn’t bode well for running game.
Having one week to try to tweak an offense is no easy feat.
We actually played the screen game pretty effectively with the variety of screen we played.

Bottom line- the team has some talent, would be great if we could find a way to keep them healthy.
Implement a “complementary” scheme built around the skill sets of our personnel, and recruit some OL and we be back in short order

No downfield passing, short passing, screens, same run plays that gain little to no yards. I see very little difference in play calling.

I saw the same play calling as you did. I’m not sure what everyone else saw. In saying that, I’m so glad Butch is no longer on the sideline. His OC should soon been behind him.

The play calling was just as terrible tonight as it had been all year. With a make shift line a handoff up the middle 30 times a game is not a well called game. I feel sorry for Kelley just getting pounded in the backfield from any lack of deception. Ran a jet sweep once with good result, filed that play away and never ran it again. Was that play just designed for Rudy or whoever that was running the ball ?

Reactions: 2 people
Can we get calls for Rudy...Rudy..during the Vandy game so they will run the jet sweep again.

This thread is dumb.

We scored one touchdown only because our receiver had soft coverage.

We have no offense and it didn't get any better tonight.

...and by the way, Gruden isn't coming so go ahead and start crying now.

Yet you decided to post in it.

Tennessee vs USCe- 253 yards
Tennessee vs LSU-287 yards
if you read my post later, I said it still stunk, but atleast the playcalling wasn't the same every single drive, all game long. I know Gruden isn't coming lol I've had the username for almost a year.

Maybe Scott can call plays for Winchester high school next year.

You do realize that to run an option offense there are supposed to be options that the defense has to worry about. In our case, the only option is .... is Kelly going to get it and try to take the dive straight ahead for 1 yard or is Kelly going to get it and try the dive hole and then break it sideways outside and get dropped for a one or two yard loss.

I honestly believe that this team would have way more success without running the option letting everyone in the world know that Kelly is fixing to be the sole option and more or less where he is heading.

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe Scott can call plays for Winchester high school next year.

You do realize that to run an option offense there are supposed to be options that the defense has to worry about. In our case, the only option is .... is Kelly going to get it and try to take the dive straight ahead for 1 yard or is Kelly going to get it and try the dive hole and then break it sideways outside and get dropped for a one or two yard loss.

I honestly believe that this team would have way more success without running the option letting everyone in the world know that Kelly is fixing to be the sole option and more or less where he is heading.

I agree with that.

Reactions: 3 people
Missed a perfect opportunity for a fake on the 2nd field goal attempt. Wind was horrible. Bout as much chance of making a first down as making the field goal.

Offensive playcalling...same.

To me, it seemed different 1st quarter or even 1st half. But it eventually devolved into the same old "give it to Kelly" either for a loss or a yard or two. Nothing at all against Kelly.

When every defender knows he's gonna get the ball and they key on him, it makes life very difficult for Kelly.

We have seen that all season. Defensive strategy for every team has been "stop Kelly." And it has worked again and again. It will work next week, too.

And I again saw CFA being used for only one play and then being pulled out.

We still have no passing game and refuse to mix it up in the backfield by putting 2 or more RBs back there. We don't make defenses guess, other than "Is Kelly going right or left?"

Team is a disaster of bad OL, QB not ready for SEC, RB's with no chance to make a play because of OL. WR's that can't catch the ball consistently and makes plays. Play calling doesn't work unless you got people that can execute.

Coaches responsibility to teach players how to play. Scott cannot do that or at least there is no evidence of it.

Well if tonight doesn't show you how much Butch controlled play calling, I don't know what will. Everyone can apologize to Larry Scott now. The famous Lyle Jones is to blame. Sheesh what a joke.

I actually thought the play calling was a lot worse last night.

Well if tonight doesn't show you how much Butch controlled play calling, I don't know what will. Everyone can apologize to Larry Scott now. The famous Lyle Jones is to blame. Sheesh what a joke.

No disrespect but I don't know your version of good play calling. That guy is horrible at play calling with Butch or without him. Xd

I liked the more aggressive play calling on both sides let’s face it though none of us will be remotely happy til Gruden is announced .

I liked the more aggressive play calling on both sides let’s face it though none of us will be remotely happy til Gruden is announced .

Gruden is the short throw king. That's why the Raiders let him go. Over time people will not like that here either.

Reactions: 2 people
If Larry Scott was a competent OC he would have checked into a throw every time Callaway was one on one. That has a chance for more success than Kelley up the middle with defense piled up at the line.

All I had to see was the first trip to the red zone of the LSU game. It was the same play call as the first trip to the red zone of the USCjr game. In what world is a slot receiver a better passer than our QB and why do we throw it to the shortest person on the field. I get it was a "trick play" but why abandon what just drove you down the field to try some low percentage play in the red zone.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back