Play Calling?

If you watched USF bowl game you would understand what we are missing. We miss Golesh.

I watched it they beat a terrible Syracuse team that had several portals. Syracuse had 4 turnovers some for TDS and USF just had 214 yards passing that is pedestrian numbers against a depleted team that is in a coaching change. I watched it nothing great about the Offense it was more Syracuse was terrible and a lot of scoring because of USF D getting turnovers.

Why do we throw the ball around the field well for several plays and then run it up the middle 15 times in a row. It looks like Nico would be good at the option or get the ball in the hands of our "fast" receivers and RB to to the outside.
You realize we were one of the very best running teams in the country right?

We were up on Bammer and took a crap, and Florida....
Florida? What play calling do you think fixes that? Our Oline was dog crap that game. There unfortunately isn’t much you can call when your Oline consistently sucks. Bammer definitely feel like we could’ve called a better second half there. I don’t think we win bc the conference had already decided who was going to win.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Florida? What play calling do you think fixes that? Our Oline was dog crap that game. There unfortunately isn’t much you can call when your Oline consistently sucks. Bammer definitely feel like we could’ve called a better second half there. I don’t think we win bc the conference had already decided who was going to win.
Exactly, we didn't show up in Gainesville, Bammer we just got outcoached and went conservative in the second half. WE played not to lose....instead of playing to win.

Exactly, we didn't show up in Gainesville, Bammer we just got outcoached and went conservative in the second half. WE played not to lose....instead of playing to win.
the ppl dont realize how much we needed our starting center Cooper, Ollie gives his all but he is just not a top tier SEC lineman especially Center. This game would not have been won with Nico & Ollie playing Center, at the Swamp before the Gators gave up on the season. It just would not have happened.

Why do we throw the ball around the field well for several plays and then run it up the middle 15 times in a row. It looks like Nico would be good at the option or get the ball in the hands of our "fast" receivers and RB to to the outside.
when you're running the ball down their throat, why throw it. Keep doing whats working until they stop it.

All season long our play calling has been at best, suspect. A month ago I asked VN who at UT calls the plays, and the consensus was/is that nobody really knows. We'd have two more wins if our play calling was up to snuff.
You definitely can tell there is a different OC calling plays. but I have to disagree with the two more wins statement. Every loss was due to far more than play calling. We did everything we could to fall apart against Bama. Way too many mistakes in the second half of that game, but that’s the only game we had any real shot at winning.

Fla, Georgia and Missouri out matched us in the trenches. We weren’t even close. No play calling would have fixed that and turned those losses into wins.

Mays along with Mincey coming back is enormous for the Volunteers. I sure hope to see some other guys show drastic improvements in the trenches next year, or we will have a similar record IMO.

That said, I also hope to see some growth in play calling as well.

We have some of the craziest fans. No wonder they have to pay coaches a Mint to coach to listen to crap even when you rout a team. Shaking my head.

A number of these people seem to bet on the Vols by fifty each week. You can understand their frustration, if not their logic.

I don't understand why we don't throw to the TE. Almost all good offensive teams--college and pros--utilize the TE a lot. We don't. I think we had one
catch by a TE today--which is about our average.
With two guys playing TE that'll have a good chance of hanging around in the NFL I think.

All season long our play calling has been at best, suspect. A month ago I asked VN who at UT calls the plays, and the consensus was/is that nobody really knows. We'd have two more wins if our play calling was up to snuff.
And what plays would be considered “up to snuff”? I believe we have an excellent coaching staff.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Heupel is a great coach. You aren’t. I trust his play calling.

You definitely can tell there is a different OC calling plays. but I have to disagree with the two more wins statement. Every loss was due to far more than play calling. We did everything we could to fall apart against Bama. Way too many mistakes in the second half of that game, but that’s the only game we had any real shot at winning.

Fla, Georgia and Missouri out matched us in the trenches. We weren’t even close. No play calling would have fixed that and turned those losses into wins.

Mays along with Mincey coming back is enormous for the Volunteers. I sure hope to see some other guys show drastic improvements in the trenches next year, or we will have a similar record IMO.

That said, I also hope to see some growth in play calling as well.

And thusly, I respect your football acumen Vegas Vol Fan. Happy New Year!

Reactions: vegasvolfan
It was pretty clear after about a quarter that Iowa was not going to be able to sustain drives. I think CJH started running the ball and slowing the pace to shorten the game.

We were a run-first team all year long. Our game plan never changed and was to play field position and run down the clock which means lots of running. The whole country knew Iowa had no offense which is why we punted to them so many times rather than Heupels patented "go for 4th and 1 from your own 35 yard line"

This game was all about wearing down Iowa defense, managing the clock and not getting Nico hurt or put in bad situations.

I think the game was managed perfectly.

35-0 and you still found something to complain about. That seems pretty sad, or crazy. Or both

VN Store

Back