Pit Bulls

I don't know what it is about little dogs. Most of them i've been around aren't very friendly or have some odd annoying habits.. I wouldn't have my mom's dog. It's a mean little shat. You can't even give her a hug when you leave. It runs up to you and bites you. Very possessive dog. Won't let the cat lay on her lap either, runs him off.

Napoleon Complex, IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Figured I'd chime in since a couple of my friends just had to have their pit put down the other day, it apparently bit a kid in their neighborhood.

First, I agree that pits will be as well-behaved as much as their owners are responsible care takers of that dog. But there are just some breeds that have a higher predisposition towards aggressive behavior, and I know a few people that have had such breeds with similar issues.

My friends that had their pit put down were not responsible owners and had no business raising a pit, but I have a hard time thinking they would have similar issues with a yorkie or something.

Figured I'd chime in since a couple of my friends just had to have their pit put down the other day, it apparently bit a kid in their neighborhood.

First, I agree that pits will be as well-behaved as much as their owners are responsible care takers of that dog. But there are just some breeds that have a higher predisposition towards aggressive behavior, and I know a few people that have had such breeds with similar issues.

My friends that had their pit put down were not responsible owners and had no business raising a pit, but I have a hard time thinking they would have similar issues with a yorkie or something.

But does that predisposition mean they should be outlawed or banned?

Hate the deed, not the breed. Like someone said earlier, in the eighties, it was Dobermans....in the nineties, Rottweilers....now it's Pits. When the hell are we, as a country, going to start blaming the PEOPLE??

And for the record, I've been around Pits my entire life. A very good friend of ours has a 90 pound male that's a jungle gym/pillow for their 3 year old. My little brother's blue Pit lets my eight month old niece crawl on her, and will lay in front of things so that Callie can't get close to them, something that she finds quite funny.

Hate the deed, not the breed. Like someone said earlier, in the eighties, it was Dobermans....in the nineties, Rottweilers....now it's Pits. When the hell are we, as a country, going to start blaming the PEOPLE??

And for the record, I've been around Pits my entire life. A very good friend of ours has a 90 pound male that's a jungle gym/pillow for their 3 year old. My little brother's blue Pit lets my eight month old niece crawl on her, and will lay in front of things so that Callie can't get close to them, something that she finds quite funny.
Yeah... They look scary, have a lot of muscle.. So they should be gotten rid of.. Kind of like the fairytale that semi automatic weapons are somehow assault weapons.. When people start taking more responsibility for their bad choices in this country, instead of blaming it on the scary looking gun, or scary looking dog... We'll be better off.

A friend of mine had one when I was in high school. He had a twin brother and they were wrestling....the dog thought they were fighting and snapped at my friend.....nailed him in the nuts....12 stitches to the sack.....he said he could hear the nurses in the ER talking about his mutilated balls

Ah yes, but as an adult man he could stand up to any bully just by saying "I once had a pit bull try to bite my balls off and he didn't win, so you better think twice about messing with me, son."

The 3 Most Aggressive Dog Breeds Revealed! – Pit Bulls? Rottweilers? You’ll Be Surprised…. | Dog Reflections

World's Meanest Dog: The English Cocker Spaniel?: Discovery News

My little Affenpinscher/Brussels Griffon mix (Affenpinscher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is one of the more aggressive dogs I've ever owned. I've only ever been bitten by dachshunds and cocker spaniels.

I think the biggest issue with pits is more a matter of how bad it can get if things DO go wrong. Nobody likes to get bit but getting snapped by a lap dog and getting ripped by a pit are two entirely different things. The numbers for serious injury/death are hugely skewed towards that breed. In 2012 61% of fatal dog maulings were Pit related. In 2011 it was 71%. In 2010 it was 67%. These numbers are hugely disproportionate to their % of the total dog population. And remember, we aren't just talking severe or even horrible maulings...we're talking dead.

The question isn't is this breed "meaner" than that breed. The friendliest breed you can think of I guarantee has bites on it's record. Not the point. Once you start narrowing the criteria to severe and fatal instances Pits start distancing themselves from other breeds very quickly and by a large margin.

Now, am I saying ownership doesn't play a role? Oh hell yes it does, I have no doubt, but the numbers above are absolutely sobering. There's just no getting around them. So, what to do about it?

I don't want to tell anybody they "can't" have a Pit. You want one, get one. However, given the enormous and incontrovertible association with severe injury and death associated with the breed you should have to be licensed. With this license comes a severe admonishment as to the liability involved with owning the breed and signing off on how one understands the risks. This will NOT incur any real costs...maybe $20 or so just to cover the implementation. The point isn't even to keep people from having Pits but rather to discourage as many of the idiots out there from wanting them in the first place. Make them jump through a couple hoops, pay a few bucks, tell 'em how bad it'll go if they don't keep up with the dog and maybe we keep some of the dogs out of homes they should never have been in to begin with.

Reactions: 1 person
Licensed?? LOL. Its a Dog. Your stats are skewed because any mutt dog that looks like a pit gets lumped into the pit category when really its just some mutt dog thats probably a boxer or bulldog mix

Thats the problem. The media just calls them Pits because people want to hear about Pits attacking when its really a mutt dog.

How about a law where if you dont take care of your dog whether its a pit or a lab, you get in trouble. Ive seen "Pit Bulls" walking down the street here in ATL looking emaciated and called the animal services because a hungry dog will do something, and they didnt even care and said they were not going to send someone to pick it up even though it looked like death and didnt have a collar

Licensed?? LOL. Its a Dog. Your stats are skewed because any mutt dog that looks like a pit gets lumped into the pit category when really its just some mutt dog thats probably a boxer or bulldog mix

Thats the problem. The media just calls them Pits because people want to hear about Pits attacking when its really a mutt dog.

How about a law where if you dont take care of your dog whether its a pit or a lab, you get in trouble. Ive seen "Pit Bulls" walking down the street here in ATL looking emaciated and called the animal services because a hungry dog will do something, and they didnt even care and said they were not going to send someone to pick it up even though it looked like death and didnt have a collar
It's scary looking there for you should have a license to own it.. Just like your assault weapon..:birgits_giggle:

I can tell we live in the same city...same results with Animal Control

I think the biggest issue with pits is more a matter of how bad it can get if things DO go wrong. Nobody likes to get bit but getting snapped by a lap dog and getting ripped by a pit are two entirely different things. The numbers for serious injury/death are hugely skewed towards that breed. In 2012 61% of fatal dog maulings were Pit related. In 2011 it was 71%. In 2010 it was 67%. These numbers are hugely disproportionate to their % of the total dog population. And remember, we aren't just talking severe or even horrible maulings...we're talking dead.

The question isn't is this breed "meaner" than that breed. The friendliest breed you can think of I guarantee has bites on it's record. Not the point. Once you start narrowing the criteria to severe and fatal instances Pits start distancing themselves from other breeds very quickly and by a large margin.

Now, am I saying ownership doesn't play a role? Oh hell yes it does, I have no doubt, but the numbers above are absolutely sobering. There's just no getting around them. So, what to do about it?

I don't want to tell anybody they "can't" have a Pit. You want one, get one. However, given the enormous and incontrovertible association with severe injury and death associated with the breed you should have to be licensed. With this license comes a severe admonishment as to the liability involved with owning the breed and signing off on how one understands the risks. This will NOT incur any real costs...maybe $20 or so just to cover the implementation. The point isn't even to keep people from having Pits but rather to discourage as many of the idiots out there from wanting them in the first place. Make them jump through a couple hoops, pay a few bucks, tell 'em how bad it'll go if they don't keep up with the dog and maybe we keep some of the dogs out of homes they should never have been in to begin with.

I've heard Dalmatians are mean.

I've heard this too. My cousin's dalmation flipped one day out of no where and killed a few other pets in the neighborhood. I think it was a mix of dogs and cats. He was very well cared for and had never shown any agression before. They had him put down.

Can you demonstrate this or is that an assumption?

That is something the media would probably do. The people that officially gather information involving human deaths in dog mauling cases? That seems MUCH less likely, don't you think?

I don't want Pits outlawed. I want the people that have them to have demonstrated a desire to have them knowing full well what they are taking possession of; a very powerful breed of dog that can (and does, more than any other single breed) severely maul and even kill themselves or others. People argue that the primary reason for the bad rap on the breed is bad owners. Fine; let's do what we can to discourage bad owners from getting the dogs.

It's scary looking there for you should have a license to own it.. Just like your assault weapon..:birgits_giggle:

Worse. A firearm has absolutely zero ability to act of it's own accord...animals do. That's not semantics, it's a huge difference.

I don't want Pits outlawed. I want the people that have them to have demonstrated a desire to have them knowing full well what they are taking possession of; a very powerful breed of dog that can (and does, more than any other single breed) severely maul and even kill themselves or others. People argue that the primary reason for the bad rap on the breed is bad owners. Fine; let's do what we can to discourage bad owners from getting the dogs.

I've had labs and a pit in the same house. They got along great because they were both well taken care of. The lab was bigger and stronger and more hyper despit being much older than the pit.

Dogs are animals, if you don't take care of them, they will do something to take care of themselves. When someone calls animal control to report a neglected dog, they shouldnt get a "sorry cant do anything" response

I've had labs and a pit in the same house. They got along great because they were both well taken care of. The lab was bigger and stronger and more hyper despit being much older than the pit.

Dogs are animals, if you don't take care of them, they will do something to take care of themselves. When someone calls animal control to report a neglected dog, they shouldnt get a "sorry cant do anything" response

I see nothing in this post I have any issue with. In fact, to the boldened I can only offer a "You got that shiz right.".

I would bet you could take just about any dog, isolate him in the backyard, on a chain, or in a 10 by 10 pin and make him mean as hell.. Now if this the life you have to give your pit bull, or any dog, then do yourself and the dog a favor, never get one..

If you don't socialize any dog at a early age and put him in that scenario, he's going to be mean.. This is the life of most of these animals that you read about attacking someone.. Owners fault in every case.. Whether he got loose and bite someone, or you put him in the backyard and he bite someone.. It's on you.. Now if you want to be a lazy owner, then get a dog that requires little work.. Like a very tiny one, that has nubs for teeth.. That way the little shat can't hurt someone if he tried.. Larger breeds require more work from the owner.. That goes for all large breed dogs..

Why aren't their stricter regulations in possessing one of these animals? Everyday you see where a kid or person is mauled or killed by one of these animals.

I haven't read the entire thread because I'm lazy, but I assume this thread is started by the rash of pit bull attacks we've had in the upstate this past week or 2. Pretty wild.

Sincerely,
Captain Obvious

VN Store

Back