Pig Howard update per CBJ:

I don't know man, Josh Smith was brutally bad with drops last year, Pig would have had to really stagnated and Smith would have made up a lot of ground for their spots on the depth chart to switch. I mean if I'm Butch, I keep Pig in the slot just because Pig provides the always popular jet sweep option, do anything you can to keep defenses guessing.
How many yrds did we get with that stupid jet sweep? It kept defenses guessing like Worley on the read option lol. Pig is a great asset but that sweep is not productive.

Reactions: 1 person
I am wondering if Young will continue as return man. Or...maybe a split return team of Young and Pig? Both have the moves.[/QUOTE]

In Wharton, I just don't see redshirting the #1 return guy in the 2014 class. I keep thinking what if UNC redshirted their freshman a year ago and just used some current guys with for minor return abilities.

I don't think CBJ would redshirt just to redshirt either. But right now we only have two dedicated receivers in the 2015 class. Sure that can change before signing day, but having a player like Vic sitting for a year and doing nothing but getting better for the next?

We've got plenty of folks that can return punts and kicks. And we are blessed (Lordy it feels great to say this) with a plethora of talent at receiver. Redshirting one or two is an easy way to get depth in case the 2015 class doesn't pan out for some reason.

I am wondering if Young will continue as return man. Or...maybe a split return team of Young and Pig? Both have the moves.

We have a few guys who have liven they can owls a punt without fumbling (Pig not being one of those guys) but nobody who has proven a threat to break off a huge return or take one to the house.

Returns are what Wharton was best at in highschool. If he shows that he can also be a threat in D1 football, the coaches will play him fielding kicks. I'm not saying I think he'll do that necessarily. Just that if he shows he can, the coaches will play him regardless.

We'll have to take every advantage we can to get back to a bowl this season. If a freshman like Wharton returning kicks can give us an extra 2-3 tds on special teams, that could go a long way.

In Wharton, I just don't see redshirting the #1 return guy in the 2014 class. I keep thinking what if UNC redshirted their freshman a year ago and just used some current guys with for minor return abilities.

We have a few guys who have liven they can owls a punt without fumbling (Pig not being one of those guys) but nobody who has proven a threat to break off a huge return or take one to the house.

Returns are what Wharton was best at in highschool. If he shows that he can also be a threat in D1 football, the coaches will play him fielding kicks. I'm not saying I think he'll do that necessarily. Just that if he shows he can, the coaches will play him regardless.

We'll have to take every advantage we can to get back to a bowl this season. If a freshman like Wharton returning kicks can give us an extra 2-3 tds on special teams, that could go a long way.

Which is what I love about the off season. Predictions and roster building lol

I think we, again, are blessed to have significant talent at the receiver position. And that's including the TE group as well. So it shouldn't be that hard to find a good kick return in the talent pool we have right now.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back