Phrases/Cliches that annoy you.

An annoying one my kids have gotten from YouTube is “so satisfying”. As in “I love squeezing this slime-filled squishy; it’s just so satisfying!”

Why is it that it is the millennial/younger people speech patterns that are annoying and not those from older people? Older people say things too that younger people don't. The phrase "...and so forth" is one that comes to mind. However, it isn't annoying. In fact, it is kind of folksy and charming.

Man, I am ripping on Millennials in this thread. I'm apparently one myself.

An annoying one my kids have gotten from YouTube is “so satisfying”. As in “I love squeezing this slime-filled squishy; it’s just so satisfying!”

Or "on point". Everything that tastes good, whether it's beer or pizza is "on point". Whatever happened to just saying, "damn, that's mighty tasty."?

"Going forward", "optics", "loves me some", and as said above, "dilly dilly".

Everything on this list, plus you could add about 100 more:

These 32 Business Cliches Need to Die | Inc.com

Any word or phrase that makes a simple concept sound complicated drives me crazy, or clichés that you'd never say in any other setting.

If a buddy asks you to help him move and you're busy, you'd say "Sorry, I don't have time today." If your boss asks you to do something and you don't have time, people say "I don't have the bandwidth right now." Saying "leverage" instead of "use." Saying "utilize" instead of use. The word "synergy." "Take this offline" or "circle back" instead of "let's talk about this later."

In business or professional settings, people can sound so pretentious. I understand wanting to be professional, but that doesn't mean you can't also speak simply.
This all day long. I can't tell you how many times I've sat in meetings or have been around conferences where many of those corporate buzz words have been used. When I hear them, I think to myself "this person is a poser, trying to sound like they're saying something when they're actually not." It grates on me.

I'll add any hip hop slang to the list.

Reactions: 1 person
Im a late Gen Xer and many of those are just as prevalent in people around my age as they are Millennials.

Except up talking. That one is definitely a sub 30 year old trend.

True, they are more prevalent among Millennials though. #2 and #4 are exclusively Millennial.

Another one that they could put on there is beginning sentences with the word "so." I don't mind it here and there (ex. "Why are we leaving now?" "So we can get there on time.") but pay attention in normal conversation, especially in business settings, and see how it gets overused. It is especially prevalent in meetings or when a group of people is discussing something, and I think it is used as an attempt to control where the conversation goes.

True, they are more prevalent among Millennials though. #2 and #4 are exclusively Millennial.

Another one that they could put on there is beginning sentences with the word "so." I don't mind it here and there (ex. "Why are we leaving now?" "So we can get there on time.") but pay attention in normal conversation, especially in business settings, and see how it gets overused. It is especially prevalent in meetings or when a group of people is discussing something, and I think it is used as an attempt to control where the conversation goes.

You're talking about the slow, drawn out soooo to start off a sentence. Agree that one can be annoying, even though I catch myself doing it from time to time.

Along those same lines is saying "here's a thought". It just comes across as extremely condescending, which it originally was meant to be.

You're talking about the slow, drawn out soooo to start off a sentence. Agree that one can be annoying, even though I catch myself doing it from time to time.

Along those same lines is saying "here's a thought". It just comes across as extremely condescending, which it originally was meant to be.

Yeah, exactly. At work I've noticed people do it when a question is asked or when a contrary opinion/thought is raised. The person originally speaking might respond with an unnecessary "so" and then their response, and I've always taken the "so" to be a way of saying "OK, I'm back in control of this conversation now. You sit there and shut up and listen to what I have to say." People generally speaking, but especially Millennials, are quick to speak but slow to listen. I believe the Good Book says something about doing the opposite of that :)

"So" and the "yeah yeah yeah" mentioned in the link are absolutely ways of shutting down or dominating a conversation, even if done unconsciously or unintentionally. There's a person at work who I actually really like - fun to be around, funny, works their ass off, and generally is a good person - but they do the "yeah yeah yeah" thing all the time when they believe a person is about to be done speaking, and then steers the conversation in a place they'd rather have it go. Drives me crazy.

Last edited:
It's not as egregious as Superman, who is rendered unrecognizable by putting on a pair of glasses.

We always have to suspend our disbelief to some degree to step into the world of the story being told but the storyteller has to give you enough to work with to make it easy to do. If the internal logic of the story is set up well, you can, say, watch E.T. and the kids fly across the moon on their bicycles and just go with it (why are they pedaling anyway? what happens if they stop?).

But if they start disregarding even simple logic or physics it stands out and takes our minds out of the story. Like, if a guy shoots someone with a large gun and the victim flies off to the side or straight up into the air instead of straight backward away from the blast, then you're probably watching a John Woo film (especially if the flight is in slow motion).

Except in mainstream continuity a common explanation is Clark has glasses that has a special device that allows hom to physically alter the vision of humans so they aren't seeing his true physical appearance which is plausible for why persons don't recognize Superman and Clark Kent are the same person.

"It's a movie."

That's a lameass excuse for a movie set in a specefic year, and things used or talked about that hadn't been created.

If persons want to make a movie with that it should be sensible which could be a character can see into the future, it's a alternate history, etc.

Otherwise "it's a movie" is a lameass excuse for a movie having that kind of factual error.

In the unfunny movie Hudson Hawk it is set in 1981 before Nintendo so it's nonsensical the NES is being talked about because not released in the USA until 1985, and 1983 in Japan.

No offense, Don't take this the wrong way, or anything similar.

All are said for the intent to fool you what is going to be said isn't insulting, condescending, mean, or anything else negative and offensive.

The axe effect or it's the axe effect.

That's not what happens when a guy uses the axe body spray yet that didn't stop them from advertising utter lies , and I'm extremely happy those bullcrap commercials have ceased.

Reactions: 1 person

That's not what happens when a guy uses the axe body spray yet that didn't stop them from advertising utter lies , and I'm extremely happy those bullcrap commercials have ceased.

This made my day.

Reactions: 3 people

Dont tell me you tried it and expected the same results ?

VN Store

Back