Phil Steele's list of returning starters for every P5 team

Aesius

Phil Steele

We're tied with Vandy for returning the most in the SEC at 18.

We return 10 on offense (lose Gilliam) and 8 on defense (lose Williams, A.J., and Coleman).

Bama returns only 12, and just 4 on offense. New QB, no Cooper...ouch. Anyone think Kiffin will still be regarded as a genius next season?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
GT returns 5 on Offense and 8 on defense. That means 7-5 probably or 8-4 with luck

Phil Steele

We return 10 on offense (lose Gilliam) and 8 on defense (lose Williams, A.J., and Coleman).

Bama returns only 12, and just 4 on offense. New QB, no Cooper...ouch. Anyone think Kiffin will still be regarded as a genius next season?

For some reason I think Bama will be alright.

I think it helped to play the end of the season without AJ. It allowed other players to step up and not lose production in a season that we have a strong possibility of winning the East. Don't get me wrong, I would've loved to have AJ just as much as the next person, but in the long run I think this helps.

Reactions: 1 person
USCe, UF, Mizzou, and UGA will all have 10 starters or less returning after one factors in the exits of third year players from their respective rosters. The eastern division will be Tennessee's for the taking.

Reactions: 2 people
Phil Steele

Not only does bama lose Cooper and probably Yeldon but they lose deandrew white, jalston fowler, christion jones, Vogler, 3 OL and Blake sims just on offense. Landon Collins, Nick Perry and a few others on D.

I'm hearing a lot of chicken counting going on. Yet I havent seen one egg. Hope there are not a lot of over zealous fans getting ahead of the process.

Reactions: 3 people
Phil Steele

He's got a five star QB committed for next year,we'll find out soon enough .

Phil Steele

Too bad for Vandy that they're returning 18 sub-par players.

Reactions: 2 people
I didn't think he was a genius this season. He had exactly two plays. Throw the ball to Cooper and have Yeldon run it.

That's overly generic analysis. Anyone who doesn't see that Lane Kiffin did a pretty damn good job as OC is exhibiting willful ignorance. I know it's the MO to hate him after what he did to our program, but he is a smart OC.

Did he benefit by having experienced, stud players? Absolutely. But there are a lot of bad OC (and Dooley showed us bad DC) hires that squander a full cupboard.

Bama has had #1 overall recruiting classes the last 6+ years. If this past year didn't convince you he was a good OC, we'll see what he does with another full cupboard of great (just inexperienced) talent.

Not to toot his horn too much, just don't be so ignorant about his abilities.

Reactions: 4 people
Bama has 102 five star recruits to plug in. They will be fine. Probably will win the West easily. East will be toss-up between Dawgs and Vols. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

That's overly generic analysis. Anyone who doesn't see that Lane Kiffin did a pretty damn good job as OC is exhibiting willful ignorance. I know it's the MO to hate him after what he did to our program, but he is a smart OC.

Did he benefit by having experienced, stud players? Absolutely. But there are a lot of bad OC (and Dooley showed us bad DC) hires that squander a full cupboard.

Bama has had #1 overall recruiting classes the last 6+ years. If this past year didn't convince you he was a good OC, we'll see what he does with another full cupboard of great (just inexperienced) talent.

how is this being ignorant ...hand off to yeldon or henry.....throw to yeldon 100+ times ...it aint rocket science!!!!!u said it #1 class 6+yrs,if i lost one game with that talent i would fill like i failed.....has that ever been done 6+years #1 class:crazy:

Well said. Bama put up their best offensive numbers in school history. Kiffin also did a pretty good job with Jonathan Crompton. He went from a bust during Fulmer's last year to a 5th round draft pick in one year with Kiffin.

Reactions: 3 people
UGA has to replace 60% of its O-line plus their starting QB and WR Chris Conley. They lose 5/7 of their defensive front seven. The Dawgs come to K-Vegas. Vols win and have the inside track in the East.

USCe, UF, Mizzou, and UGA will all have 10 starters or less returning after one factors in the exits of third year players from their respective rosters. The eastern division will be Tennessee's for the taking.

I suspect UF and Mizzou may need to rebuild. Georgia and South Carolina have had strong recruiting and strong programs for several years and should be able to plug folks in. They have had the depth to bring players along as non-starters. So I wouldn't go so far as saying Tennessee is the favorite, but we're closer to parity than we have been since 2007.

VN Store

Back