Pennington and Hyams: Fulmer could return as Coach

Spurrier and Majors, to name two.

Well, even if you count Majors -- and that's a stretch -- then that's two guys who played about a million years before the modern era of American sports. Just about every modern HOF-level athlete who's taken a turn coaching has been an abject failure.

Does anyone think that some old ass guys up on the hill with deep pockets and lifetime subscriptions to the good ol boy network are trying to force Kiffin out? Or did we discuss that already? Threads with the words "Hyams" or "Fulmer" in the title, I tend to avoid.

Does anyone think that some old ass guys up on the hill with deep pockets and lifetime subscriptions to the good ol boy network are trying to force Kiffin out?

Thunder Thornton might, but I doubt anyone else is. The majority of the big money at UT is in Kiffin's corner.

There's no way anyone's getting rid of Kiffin in the next couple of years..
Regardless of who's corner Haslam, Thornton or Anderson is in...

There's no way anyone's getting rid of Kiffin in the next couple of years..
Regardless of who's corner Haslam, Thornton or Anderson is in...

I don't believe that is true but there's absolutely no way he's replaced by Fulmer

I don't believe that is true but there's absolutely no way he's replaced by Fulmer

I guess, he could be let go if there's a bunch of major vialotions and we get the NCAA all in our business with loss of scholarships, but these minor bumps in the road aren't going to get him fired

Yeah I'm thinking the Good Ol' Boy network isn't really digging all the attention the program's getting, regardless of who's in charge. No way Fulmer and crew come back. But with all these big money boosters who are probably founders of the skoal patrol®, I just have a hard time believing he ever really left. It's like having the ghost of Fulmer around. But a lot more important.

I like Manning, but the idea that he could lure an NFL defensive coordinator (nevermind one of the best) to coach at UT is ludicrous.

uh-lane brought in pops

peyton could promise a couple mastercard commercials and a few bbq w/ tiger.

you do understand he has been a top 5 sports figure for the last 10 years and his star is still rising.

i wouldnt underestimate his abilities to exceed at almost any endevour he would choose.

uh-lane brought in pops

peyton could promise a couple mastercard commercials and a few bbq w/ tiger.

you do understand he has been a top 5 sports figure for the last 10 years and his star is still rising.

i wouldnt underestimate his abilities to exceed at almost any endevour he would choose.

I'm sure he'll call Dick LeBeau up and ask, "Hey Dick, I'm that QB from the team you didn't coach. Want to give up your lucrative career to come with me to lower profile job and hope that I might be able to coach some ball?"

I'm sure he'll call Dick LeBeau up and ask, "Hey Dick, I'm that QB from the team you didn't coach. Want to give up your lucrative career to come with me to lower profile job and hope that I might be able to coach some ball?"

get real dude,manning eats,sleeps and craps football 24-7

he knows the college coaches as well as the pros.his influence knows no boundaries.

i find it impossible to beleive you would think this would not be the coup of the century for the vols ?

you need to take that clk poster off of your ceiling before you go blind :p

Lebeau did like the golf in Crossville....

he knows the college coaches as well as the pros.his influence knows no boundaries.

i find it impossible to beleive you would think this would not be the coup of the century for the vols ?

You've never made any sense at any point. I guess I shouldn't expect you to start now.

Manning is not a better or smarter or more influential football player than Wayne Gretzky was a hockey player, and Gretzky was a terrible coach. People expected him to be a success for exactly the same reasons you're giving for Manning, and Gretzky was a disaster anyway.

Hiring Kiffin as head coach based on his resume was a bit of a high risk/high reward gamble. Hiring a former player with no coaching experience at all would be a blind jump into the unknown.

Manning is not a better or smarter or more influential football player than Wayne Gretzky was a hockey player, and Gretzky was a terrible coach. People expected him to be a success for exactly the same reasons you're giving for Manning, and Gretzky was a disaster anyway.

Hiring Kiffin as head coach based on his resume was a bit of a high risk/high reward gamble. Hiring a former player with no coaching experience at all would be a blind jump into the unknown.

not the same at all,your buying pro players and recruiting college atheletes.so basically your saying gretzky would lose with the red wings (right)

please,please,please dont try and convince anyone that kiffin would be a better hire than manning.that dog just wont hunt!

kiffin is far from a experienced coach.his best attribute was his contacts to hire the right staff (some gone now) to rebuild this team.your saying manning could not have assembled the same if not better?

who would have more influence in a recruits living room,kiffin or manning (be honest now) its not even close.mom and pop going goo goo gaa gaa and even granny brown would be singing his praises

On the Enrichment Sports Source when talking about if things come off the rails, Pennington said, "I think there's gonna be a big push in this town to bring back Phillip Fulmer as your emergency hire, ala Bill Snyder, Kansas State." Hyams agrees.

Those guys and that show are such a joke.

Yes. There are a lot of idiots in the world.

not the same at all,your buying pro players and recruiting college atheletes.so basically your saying gretzky would lose with the red wings (right)

please,please,please dont try and convince anyone that kiffin would be a better hire than manning.that dog just wont hunt!

kiffin is far from a experienced coach.his best attribute was his contacts to hire the right staff (some gone now) to rebuild this team.your saying manning could not have assembled the same if not better?

who would have more influence in a recruits living room,kiffin or manning (be honest now) its not even close.mom and pop going goo goo gaa gaa and even granny brown would be singing his praises

Attachments

• facepalm.jpg
    facepalm.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 56

Gretzky didn't have good talent in Phoenix, but his players consistently looked poorly prepared, poorly disciplined, and gave poor effort. If he'd been coaching the Red Wings, his team would have been a bunch of extremely talented guys....who were poorly prepared, poorly disciplined, and who would probably have given subpar effort. Gretzky was every bit the leader on the ice that Manning is of the Colts, and yet he couldn't instill any of that into his players as a coach. You can't just assume as a given that Manning would be able to either.

You're extrapolating success at one job and saying that you'd be guaranteed success at completely different job in the same field. It's like taking a great photographer and hiring him as a VP of marketing. It's not the same thing at all.

Did Hyams and Pennington really say that!?! How ignorant. Emergency hire? If they know something about our football program (which im sure they dont) they need to speak up. Hyams is an LSU guy and Pennington hates Tennessee. There are sour grapes because they dont have access to CLK like they did CPF. How absolutely insane of them. I appreciate what CPF did for UT and wish him the best, but he is done here. I would rather have Johnny back. Just sayin.

Dear Jimmy Hyams: please report to Huntsville at once, you are needed for a deep space mission exploring the possibility of distant galaxies supporting idiot life. Oh, and please bring posivol with you.

VN Store

Back