Paying it Forward - what's your cut off?

Here have a dollar
In fact now brotherman, here have two
Two dollars means a snack for me
But it means a big deal to you

thought you were spouting these lyrics for a minute

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkUVToIfrKg[/youtube]

So I went through a Pals drive thru today for a tea ($1.08) and the person in front paid for it. I asked how much the next persons was and essentially ended up paying $8 for my tea.

Anyway, this was my first encounter with pay it forward and I got to thinking at what point do I refuse to pay for the next person.

I guess my cut off is around $10 depending on how much my original order was.

My sister lives in Manhattan and I went out with her and her friend who is a broadway hot shot. He is so rich cause he makes royalties off lighting designs. Anyway, it was his birthday and we were at his favorite bar and the bar tender asked me if I wanted to get his drink. I said yeah, and then I realized for all I know it could have been a $90 shot of whiskey. It was $15. I called it a win.

I have no problem with the Pay it Forward concept. I love giving to church, charities, etc. I have a problem with the guilting and shaming that some of these have become. I can't stand Starbucks coffee, but one day I wanted something hot to drink so I drove through and ordered a hot chocolate. When I got to the window, they said the person in front had paid for mine and they had been doing the Pay it Forward all morning. I asked how much the person behind me owed. She said $15 something. I said, I don't think so. She then said, but you have to.....it's been going all morning. I said (politely), no I don't. I have $2 to pay for mine, but I don't have $15. She said, but you'll mess it up. I said, all good things come to an end, I guess. She wouldn't even take my $2.

If it's spontaneous (and I've done things like that in the past), fine. It's a great blessing to somebody out of the blue. I usually only do it when I'm inside and know specifically who I'm helping. I did it one time for a mom chasing around 3-4 kids one day in Chick-Fil-A. I could tell it had been one of those days and she was struggling. After I paid, i slid the kid a $20 bill, and said apply that to the lady's order behind me. I don't say that to pat myself on the back, but to spotlight the real point of Pay it Forward's. When it's expected and/or demanded even, it loses it's effect in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I actually used to work at a Pals and this happens a lot. I remember one time it kept going for 8 orders in a row.

There was one customer who would order fries in the morning a few days a week and since we didnt have them cooked there would be a wait...he ALWAYS paid for the person behind him for making them wait. One time it was like 25 bucks and he didnt even flinch. I tried to talk him out of it but he insisted.

It's cool and all, but wouldn't the $20 or so people "pay forward" for lattes at Starbucks be better spent buying needy kids some clothes or toys?

It's cool to do nice things for strangers and all, but I would much rather see someone give a homeless guy money rather than buying me or someone who doesn't really need it an overpriced coffee.

Reactions: 1 person
I have no problem with the Pay it Forward concept. I love giving to church, charities, etc. I have a problem with the guilting and shaming that some of these have become. I can't stand Starbucks coffee, but one day I wanted something hot to drink so I drove through and ordered a hot chocolate. When I got to the window, they said the person in front had paid for mine and they had been doing the Pay it Forward all morning. I asked how much the person behind me owed. She said $15 something. I said, I don't think so. She then said, but you have to.....it's been going all morning. I said (politely), no I don't. I have $2 to pay for mine, but I don't have $15. She said, but you'll mess it up. I said, all good things come to an end, I guess. She wouldn't even take my $2.

If it's spontaneous (and I've done things like that in the past), fine. It's a great blessing to somebody out of the blue. I usually only do it when I'm inside and know specifically who I'm helping. I did it one time for a mom chasing around 3-4 kids one day in Chick-Fil-A. I could tell it had been one of those days and she was struggling. After I paid, i slid the kid a $20 bill, and said apply that to the lady's order behind me. I don't say that to pat myself on the back, but to spotlight the real point of Pay it Forward's. When it's expected and/or demanded even, it loses it's effect in my opinion.

This.

It's cool and all, but wouldn't the $20 or so people "pay forward" for lattes at Starbucks be better spent buying needy kids some clothes or toys?

It's cool to do nice things for strangers and all, but I would much rather see someone give a homeless guy money rather than buying me or someone who doesn't really need it an overpriced coffee.

Great point.

What does the rich house wife in the Mercedes need me buying her $6 pumpkin spice latte?

Reactions: 1 person
thought you were spouting these lyrics for a minute

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkUVToIfrKg[/youtube]

OMG! LMAO! I didn't even make it 10 seconds into that and was laughing. It's so stupid! :)

I don't trust it. About six months ago, the wife of a builder I do work for asked "how was those two chicken deluxe sandwiches" dumb founded, I said.. Huh? She said, "at the drive through at sonic the other day"... I then tell her I didn't order/get any free chicken sandwiches. She said she paid around $13 for my Order (that I didn't order) and now I know why those little bRitches was giggling at the window!

Btw- she got her azz fired!

I had an older man pay for my food at a BBQ restaurant I visited often. The waitress came over to me and told me my tab had been picked up. She said the reason he does it is because his wife passed and left a bunch of insurance money but he doesn't have much use for it so every now and then he pays for someone's food. It was like a $12 tab. He did it again when I went back a few weeks later. He was a very nice man.

I am always thankful when it happens but I don't think anyone should be forced to reciprocate. That goes against the whole point. Good people will help others even if it is unknown.

My wife and I had our meal paid for by someone at Texas Roadhouse once. Which was surprising. We went over and bought a few items from the Angel Tree. Figured was better than picking up someone's meal.

VN Store

Back