Paul finebaum show

I just don't understand an alumnus who roots for the other team in a rivalry game. Your alma mater is your alma mater-- you don't change it like you change your shirt. Most UT alumni live somewhere else, but most don't turncoat their alma mater.

I agree but as you said "most".
Some people really need the team they pull for to win because they don't handle losing well at all. "Bandwagon" gets thrown out a lot but they do exist.
If Saban leaves and we continue to progress, PF would be all UT again.
And I honestly don't mind that as much as I should.
There's posters here that I wish would pull for their second team until we are back in contention. Is that wrong? Probably. Am I so tired of the constant b#tching that I'm ok with being wrong? Probably. / blue font, half kidding etc....

How did this clown get a TV gig? He has got to be the ugliest person in all news/sports broadcasting, and its not even close. His body looks frail, suits don't fit, face made for radio and that bald spot makes his head look like a pumpkin! He must have something on the boss!

Meant unbeaten LSU and once beaten bammer, my bad. But that's what they were talking about. They even said as much.

Ok, no problem. But he still gives a different reason as to why he pulls for them with each changing circumstance. He's a fan, I don't begrudge that. It's ok to like his show without pretending that he's not pulling for Bama. Which once again, he has openly admitted several times in his career.

Ms.Celina would you PLEASE correct Finebaum on the Manning coaching speculation. In an interview not long ago they asked him about coaching at Tennessee, he said he didn't want to be head coach, but he would consider coaching Qb's.Thanks.

Reactions: 1 person
I just don't understand an alumnus who roots for the other team in a rivalry game. Your alma mater is your alma mater-- you don't change it like you change your shirt. Most UT alumni live somewhere else, but most don't turncoat their alma mater.

This is the crux of the matter in my opinion and, for this reason, I will always regard Paul Finebaum as Benedict Finebaum.

Last edited:
Ms.Celina would you PLEASE correct Finebaum on the Manning coaching speculation. In an interview not long ago they asked him about coaching at Tennessee, he said he didn't want to be head coach, but he would consider coaching Qb's.Thanks.

For the purposes of documentation, that comment occurred in the course of an interview with Dan Patrick (9/3/2015). For those of you interested in listening to it, here is the link: Peyton Manning talks about future, possibility of being QB coach at Tennessee - DanPatrick.com.

There was a lot of joking in that interview, so it's difficult to know just how seriously one should take Peyton's remarks in that context. (Listen, for example, to the segment where Peyton enumerates all of the NFL quarterbacks that he would defeat in a 40-yard dash.) When asked about coaching at Tennessee, the transcribed answer provided by Peyton is as follows: “Quarterbacks coach I would do at Tennessee. Head coach absolutely not. For whatever reason people in Tennessee like me right now. You become head coaching job and cut it in half. Why are you throwing on fourth-and-1? Why did you punt there when you should have gone for it? It’s like being in politics. Quarterback coach you can stay under the radar. You get your quarterbacks throwing a lot of completions, you probably could stay in good favor. Maybe if they call, that’d be something." See also Peyton Manning says he'd consider coaching QBs at Tennessee | NFL | Sporting News.

Of this we can be certain, however. Peyton truly loves the University of Tennessee and its football program. By his own admission, he fully supports Butch Jones and, contrary to some of the contributors to this forum, KNOWS that our program is headed in the right direction. Peyton probably would never say it, but he undoubtedly realizes that he could be a tremendous asset to the long-term success of his alma mater's football program. He says in this interview, "I enjoy teaching football and that's kind of what I feel I do at our football camp. I enjoy talking about football and teaching things I've learned as a quarterback through the years." Consequently, nobody in the country would have more fundamentally sound or better prepared quarterbacks than Tennessee. Because of this, nobody would enjoy greater success recruiting quarterbacks than Tennessee. Every high-school quarterback with serious NFL aspirations, particularly pro-style ones, would be pounding on Tennessee's door. How well Peyton could demonstrate read-option plays would be another story, however.

I won't defend Finebaum's bias towards Alabama. He has one but since he's gotten in front of the camera on the SEC Network he has toned it down quite a bit. He might be a UT alumni but he also has to be as honest as he can on his show and so coming out and blatantly saying UT was going to beat Alabama would have been absurd.

I won't defend Finebaum's bias towards Alabama. He has one but since he's gotten in front of the camera on the SEC Network he has toned it down quite a bit. He might be a UT alumni but he also has to be as honest as he can on his show and so coming out and blatantly saying UT was going to beat Alabama would have been absurd.

My point was that I don't understand a UT alumnus who ROOTS for the other team in a rival game. That's not the same thing as giving an unbiased commentary or making an honest prediction. Predicting isn't rooting. Big difference.

McElroy, Spears and Booger support their alma maters without reserve but give unbiased commentary on-air. Jabari Greer does the same. Not Finebaum. He was all-Bama last week.

I remember sometime earlier this week, a UT fan called in asking about the three missed FG's, and then an alasami cranker called in yelling about how the missed three points (typical math skills for a bammer, I know) wouldn't have mattered. I laughed knowing that he is the representative of the average bammer.

For anyone who listens regularly to his program, what did Finebaum have to say about Tennessee's performance vs. Alabama last Saturday?

For anyone who listens regularly to his program, what did Finebaum have to say about Tennessee's performance vs. Alabama last Saturday?

I don't listen regularly, but I did tune in for a bit on Monday. Finebaum said that Bama would have won, no matter what. Even if Medley had made the FGs, Bama would have had a wakeup call and made plays to win. There was a bit of "team was tired," "needed the bye week," "looking ahead to LSU", etc., before turning the focus to Bama and LSU. I stopped watching when I realized the show was going to be all about the Bama-LSU game two weeks away instead of the teams that actually have games this week.

I feel sorry for Paul the damned idiots he has to put up with on his show. Good Lord please give the man a strong will because if it was me, id be slapping people

My point was that I don't understand a UT alumnus who ROOTS for the other team in a rival game. That's not the same thing as giving an unbiased commentary or making an honest prediction. Predicting isn't rooting. Big difference.

McElroy, Spears and Booger support their alma maters without reserve but give unbiased commentary on-air. Jabari Greer does the same. Not Finebaum. He was all-Bama last week.

Where exactly was he when he was "rooting" for Alabama, I should ask?

McElroy, Spears, Booger, and Greer all played football at their respective schools and Finebaum was just a journalist who eventually turned radio/tv personality.

Did anyone catch the bama fan today complaining that Gary and Verne hate on the tide during their games?

:wacko:

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back