Party like its 1979

Wow... and I thought I was old. My earliest memories are of losing to Ralph Sampson and Virginia in back to back years in '81 and '82 (gave 'em a good game in '82). They're some old farts on here... I feel better now. :)

Guess I'm old, earliest memories are from the Ray Mears days. Mike Edwards and Tom Boerwinkle in the early 70's. The Ernie and Bernie era was a lot of fun. DeVoe had some good teams (1979 tourney champs) Long drought between that and the Jerry Green 4 - 20 win seasons. Another drought until Bruce Pearl basically revitalized our Basketball program and the black curtains came down from Thompson Boling. I must say this years team is one of my all time favorite teams because of their chemistry and how hard they play. Also a great group of guys. It's been a lot of fun and is only going to get better.

Man I am old!

Reactions: 1 person
Wow... and I thought I was old. My earliest memories are of losing to Ralph Sampson and Virginia in back to back years in '81 and '82 (gave 'em a good game in '82). They're some old farts on here... I feel better now. :)

I was at the '81 tourney game against UVA. Also saw the great game between Notre Dame and BYU that night in Atlanta.

Reactions: 2 people
I was at the '81 tourney game against UVA. Also saw the great game between Notre Dame and BYU that night in Atlanta.

Me too NoCal. In Atlanta at the Omni. I was also at the 1979 game in Murfreesboro MTSU against Notre Dame. I will be in Nashville next week if we get to play there

Guess I'm old, earliest memories are from the Ray Mears days. Mike Edwards and Tom Boerwinkle in the early 70's. The Ernie and Bernie era was a lot of fun. DeVoe had some good teams (1979 tourney champs) Long drought between that and the Jerry Green 4 - 20 win seasons. Another drought until Bruce Pearl basically revitalized our Basketball program and the black curtains came down from Thompson Boling. I must say this years team is one of my all time favorite teams because of their chemistry and how hard they play. Also a great group of guys. It's been a lot of fun and is only going to get better.

Man I am old!

Hey man, another old man here... My early memories are of Ernie and Bernie. I liked the showman ray mears .then my all time favorite vol Dale Ellis. Good times back then..

As bad as we were in the Wade Houston years... we actually did make it to the SEC Tournament Championship Game one year... '91 I think??? Not sure how that happened but I do remember it in Nashville. We ran out of gas against Alabama or one of Wade's teams would have been dancing with about 12 wins believe it or not.

Man I am old!

Talked to my Dad after the game and we were both saying this is one of our favorite teams due to what you mentioned.

Tennessee had Virginia beat in 82. They missed their free throws down the stretch.

Man I am old!

Boerwinkle didn't quite make it to the 70s.

Tom Boerwinkle College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

TN had a great group of shooters... Bill Justus then Jimmy England then Mike Edwards. Then came Grunfeld and Mike Jackson. Grunfeld could post up and hit from the perimeter. Don Johnson was another good "shooting forward" that was in England's class.

Johnson and Wood are two of my favorite players. Add Ellis the next season and make it three of my favorites.

You guys remember that Kentucky game where wood won it in the last second with a 12 foot jumper on the right baseline?...... Woodddd goodddd!

Dale Ellis must have been held back a year in school. Age-wise, he should have been a freshman on the 1978-79 team. He was a freshman at UT in 1979-80. He was born 8/6/1960.

VN Store

Back