Over Signing and the attrition that follows.

This would be even less of an issue if not for having an 85 man roster limit when a school can sign 25 per class. This actually encourages attrition. Kinda stupid really.

25 is the max, not a suggestion. Lots of schools don't just process enough spots to take the max every year.

25 is the max, not a suggestion. Lots of schools don't just process enough spots to take the max every year.

That's not my point. What I'm trying to say is that if you had a hard 25 per signing class limit and an overall roster cap of say 110, then there would be far less "processing" of recruits across the NCAA. I would also think it could open the door for more walk-ons to earn scholarships. The current system of numerical limits just seems geared to encourage "processing" and does not appear to really benefit the kids.

Reactions: 2 people
There would be a lot of UT recent commits who chose to not take ANY visits other than UT after committing who might disagree with you. The day they were allowed to commit, they considered themselves a lock. It was then up to UT to follow through.

I'm sure that like anything else, every situation is different. I've heard of Coach Jones not accepting some kids' commitments, and I am sure some kids' commitments are conditional and that they are made aware of that. I'm also sure that if a kid that's top 3 on the big board wants to shut it down completely and start recruiting for the vols, there is probably a deeper level of commitment from the UT side there as well. The commitment is more like an engagement, the marriage doesn't happen until the LOI is signed. A lot can happen on both sides before then.

As a UT fan, I am glad Jones doesn't seem to put all the recruiting eggs in one unpredictable 17-19 year olds's basket at any given position. I'm also glad he doesn't stop recruiting #1 on the board just because he has #6 on the commit list at Rivals. For the first time in a while, I feel that UT Football is on good hands.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe. Maybe not.

30RBs in 2015 were 4* or better. Quite a few more if you include APB's and ATH's who will play RB.

Look at say Kelly. VQ said he was #1 in UTs board after they got Kamara. He was rated in the 30's as an ATH and a 3*.

I could easily pick out a top 10 and landing 2 of those would be a win. Would I lose any sleep taking my #8 guy on the board as a 90-91 4* in March and passing on a guy in Sept who wants that spot and is a 93-94 4*? Not a bit.

Part of the problem is u r recruiting based strictly off ratings.....I don't think Butch does that and there is a big difference between who is number 2 on his list and who is number 8....going by last yrs class, u would have taken a player like D Scott and told a Jalen Hurd sorry we don't have room.

Part of the problem is u r recruiting based strictly off ratings.....I don't think Butch does that and there is a big difference between who is number 2 on his list and who is number 8....going by last yrs class, u would have taken a player like D Scott and told a Jalen Hurd sorry we don't have room.

I actually don't pay much attention to rankings either. Just using them as an example of how easy it would be to get 2 capable RBs from a "big board".

Actually no. Hurd committed long before Scott did. I was against the idea of taking the 3rd RB last year which was Scott. I said at the time, I saw it as a wasted scholarship. As it turned out, pretty much the case.

Last edited:
Oversigning is the best thing you can do. It boils down to the law of averages. The more players you take, the more likely one of them is elite.

3 qbs is a great thing! All are ranked top ten as either a dual threat or pocket passer by at least one website. So one of these three should end up being elite.

Reactions: 4 people
Oversigning is the best thing you can do. It boils down to the law of averages. The more players you take, the more likely one of them is elite.

3 qbs is a great thing! All are ranked top ten as either a dual threat or pocket passer by at least one website. So one of these three should end up being elite.

Maybe.

Maybe Kendall decommits.

Maybe then Butch tries to move JJ to S triggering his transfer.

Maybe when Dormady is named #2 it causes Jones to walk.

Maybe Butch needs to sign 5 QBs in 2016. LOL

I actually don't pay much attention to rankings either. Just using them as an example of how easy it would be to get 2 capable RBs from a "big board".

Actually no. Hurd committed long before Scott did. I was against the idea of taking the 3rd RB last year which was Scott. I said at the time, I saw it as a wasted scholarship. As it turned out, pretty much the case.

It wasn't a wasted scholarship at all

Butch will recruit and sign who and what he needs to push his team to the top. He will not allow "Big Boards" and opinions of others to get in his way.

Who was the SECOND RB taken in the 2014 class?

Edit: forgot about Paulk...so your contention is that the THIRD running back taken in the 2014 class was a victim of oversigning? Even though he had the two commitments in front of him and had clear sailing due to to Paulk's injury and suspension. They were down to walkons after Hurd and Lane got dinged up. Butch undoubtedly noticed what a bad position we were put in and decided not to be scared in filling out our roster. We shouldn't have to forfeit a season because one or two kids don't live up to their promise. Experts gave up on Ohio State when Braxton Miller went down...two QBs later they're where we want to be. Seems more and more likely that ALL 3 of their QBs will be back to help defend their title and Burrows/Gibson are onboard the attrition train. Build something great and kids will stop making weak excuses not to be a part of it old buddy old pal...JMO FWIW FDIC OH MI GOD

Last edited:

This.

Maybe.

Maybe Kendall decommits.

The odds are better for UT this way than putting all the eggs in 1 QB basket per year, only to have 35% to 40% of them fail to produce.

Maybe.

Maybe Kendall decommits.

1. If they all transfer like you said, there's no reason for Kendall to decommit.

2. We wouldn't need to sign 5. We would need to sign 2 because Dobbs and Dormandy would still be here.

The odds are better for UT this way than putting all the eggs in 1 QB basket per year, only to have 35% to 40% of them fail to produce.

I've never been of the opinion you only take 1QB per year. Just don't take 3. I had no issue with QD and JJ.

Sign 2QBs, next year take 1. Next year take 1 or 2 based on how the previous 3 play out. Never....take 3.

Jmo

1. If they all transfer like you said, there's no reason for Kendall to decommit.

2. We wouldn't need to sign 5. We would need to sign 2 because Dobbs and Dormady would still be here.

No...only one. Dobbs will have a whole year of eligibility to burn and whoever emerges from the attrition trinity should be non threatening to Kendall...don't want him to run like a frightened foal. :gone:

2. We wouldn't need to sign 5. We would need to sign 2 because Dobbs and Dormandy would still be here.

I think Kendall makes a decision long before things play out QB roster wise for UT. Yeah, I hope he sticks. I just don't think he does at this point. We'll know more after his visit on the 28th.

I've never been of the opinion you only take 1QB per year. Just don't take 3. I had no issue with QD and JJ.

Sign 2QBs, next year take 1. Next year take 1 or 2 based on how the previous 3 play out. Never....take 3.

Jmo

The player we want at QB won't be frightened of 3 QBs...much less just 1. He'll be equipped to surpass ALL 3. That's who Butch wants at QB...that's who butchna wants at QB...that's who the American people want at QB. :yess:

Reactions: 1 person
No...only one. Dobbs will have a whole year of eligibility to burn and whoever emerges from the attrition trinity should be non threatening to Kendall...don't want him to run like a frightened foal. :gone:

CBJ likes 4 scholarship QBs. I think it's because he wants to run the qb, so he needs depth there. So we would need two in 2016. But that's only if 2 of our 3 here now leave immediately.

VN Store

Back