Our new Coach could be Tony Elliott (rumor)

If he is hired all we can do is hope he hires a top rate staff and has the sense to communicate with them about his vision of what he wants, listen to their ideas and concerns and above all let them coach and not micro manage.

If he is hired all we can do is hope he hires a top rate staff and has the sense to communicate with them about his vision of what he wants, listen to their ideas and concerns and above all let them coach and not micro manage.
This would be a non-starter. He has only been the OC for a year. Position coach and has basically a loaded roster. We need someone who has demonstrated they can do more with less. This guy has basically been handed the keys to a Ferrari and told to stay between the lines. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but there is NOTHING in his history to indicate he is cut out for this job.

Kiffin has shown he can win with less. However, I'm sure there is a black ball on his resume from the UTAD.

Reactions: VolForLife83
Out of all the coordinators, he’s probably one of the best options. I still think we need a proven head coach and not a coordinator. But I’ll give him a chance and cheer him on if he’s our guy. Everybody wants the same thing: Tennessee to be successful and win championships.
Seems energetic which is good, the ONLY one is all proven coaches fall through

I don't think the 'quick hire' process works with Elliot's decision process, unless there was informal contact in the works beforehand.
“There have been several people that called, and my process is, if they ask me if I have interest, I say, ‘Look, I have to talk about it with my wife. I have to pray about it and look for confirmation,’” Elliott said after the 2020 ACC Championship Game on Dec. 19. “I have said it before, and I will say it again. Money does not matter to me. Status does not matter to me. I believe I am living a purpose filled life and my purpose is to be here at Clemson right now. When the Lord opens the door, then I will transition.”

Has the door opened in Tennessee? Elliott admitted after the ACC Championship Game that he was seeking representation, but he had not signed with an agent at that point.

Timing is finally right, but is Tennessee right job for Elliott?

This would be a non-starter. He has only been the OC for a year. Position coach and has basically a loaded roster. We need someone who has demonstrated they can do more with less. This guy has basically been handed the keys to a Ferrari and told to stay between the lines. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but there is NOTHING in his history to indicate he is cut out for this job.

Kiffin has shown he can win with less. However, I'm sure there is a black ball on his resume from the UTAD.

Notice I said IF, I am in no way saying he is my top choice but IF he is hired that is what I would like to see him do.

Please do more research.

Elliot has been an OC for Clemson since December 2014.......when Morris left. Elliot has also been calling the plays for Clemson since December of 2014 when Morris Left......that’s more than 6 seasons.

This “1 year” crap is getting old.......and it’s just that crap......not to mention wrong.

If folks don’t want him.....that’s perfectly fine.....we all have our opinions. However we should all “know” what and who the guy is and not let a “lack” of or “wrong” information determine our opinion.

Reactions: GoVols64
If they put out there that they are willing to spend $7-8M on a coach and come back with Tony Elliott....then just shut the program down
yea i mean even Saban was a head coach at Michigan St when LSU hired him so screw hiring any more coordinators let's hire a ****** coach that want to be up there n especially a coach that the players would agree on playing for! Us fans don't play the game nor do we practice on that team so we all need to let it play out n pray to god that White will hire someone that really wants the job sincerely!

Please do more research.

Elliot has been an OC for Clemson since December 2014.......when Morris left. Elliot has also been calling the plays for Clemson since December of 2014 when Morris Left......that’s more than 6 seasons.

This “1 year” crap is getting old.......and it’s just that crap......not to mention wrong.

If folks don’t want him.....that’s perfectly fine.....we all have our opinions. However we should all “know” what and who the guy is and not let a “lack” of or “wrong” information determine our opinion.
My bad. I should have stated sole OC. Yes, he's been calling plays. The primary objection remains. He's basically had a garage full of the finest performance cars. Not hard to call plays for Clemson.
What Lane did with Ole Miss is 10x more impressive.

UT isn't too good for Elliott, I just think with the rebuild, someone with solid HC experience is needed.

Per my buddy who played on Clemson’s ‘81 Natty team, Elliott’s told Dabo he’s headed to Rocky Top.

Welcome Coach Elliott, I hope you’re here for the next 20 years!

GBO!
This would be a total screwup!! This guy has no head coach experience!!! It would be another Pruitt fiasco!!

Per my buddy who played on Clemson’s ‘81 Natty team, Elliott’s told Dabo he’s headed to Rocky Top.

Welcome Coach Elliott, I hope you’re here for the next 20 years!

GBO!
where was he a head coach

My bad. I should have stated sole OC. Yes, he's been calling plays. The primary objection remains. He's basically had a garage full of the finest performance cars. Not hard to call plays for Clemson.
What Lane did with Ole Miss is 10x more impressive.

UT isn't too good for Elliott, I just think with the rebuild, someone with solid HC experience is needed.

Just for sake of discussion, if we were to get two years bowl ban and restrictions, he could use those year as OJT and be ready by the third year. I would hate to pay some of these guys 6-7 mil for those first two years with no chance of getting a decent ROI. Don't know that I believe this but........

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Just for sake of discussion, if we were to get two years bowl ban and restrictions, he could use those year as OJT and be ready by the third year. I would hate to pay some of these guys 6-7 mil for those first two years with no chance of getting a decent ROI. Don't know that I believe this but........
Bowl ban means nothing at this juncture. I don't see UT getting much if any scholarship restrictions. When UT took decisive action on Pearl, they pretty well focused their punishment on the coaches and UT came away with very little. This was even more decisive. You really can't punish a university if it's own AD found the violations and fired the offenders immediately.

Bowl ban means nothing at this juncture. I don't see UT getting much if any scholarship restrictions. When UT took decisive action on Pearl, they pretty well focused their punishment on the coaches and UT came away with very little. This was even more decisive. You really can't punish a university if it's own AD found the violations and fired the offenders immediately.

I am more concerned that this level hire on most peoples personal list would be the result of none of the bigger fish willing to take the leap without the NCAA stuff decided. No inside info, nor a projection, just a fear.

Please do more research.

Co-OC until 2020. - since we're on facts now.

I burned myself earlier. leaving the thread for posterity.

Dude who cares? 7 million dollars and we are targeting a Co-OC

Dude

I was answering someone.

Neither you nor I know who they are really going after.

“If” you can’t land the big fish......you got get someone......and you probably don’t want to go 5 to 7 deep in “no’s” as they have in previous searches.

I get it......you don’t want Elliot. I suggest pray harder......or if your not into that wish harder.

I’m hopeful for a great coach. For me personally I’ll gladly welcome Elliot.

Yea

What do you think a Co-OC who calls all the plays is?

Seriously?

looks like one person was given a “co-OC” title..........it wasn’t Elliot.

You're not getting the point.

But - in the interest of bias, let me relate what I respect about Elliott.

1) He is disciplined enough to walk on, make the team, and play for 4 years under Bowden
2) At the same time, he graduates with a 3.55 in Industrial Engineering. Dude is a hard worker AND smart.
3) He doesn't go straight to GA.. the easy route. He works for 2 years - apparently in a corporate industrial engineering job.
4) He climbs the ranks of coaching without taking a step back down. upward trajectory.

All of that is great!! Get the man some HC experience - running a program... THEN he is qualified.

In my mind - No one. No one who hasn't had a successful run as a HC of a G5 or P5 program is qualified for this position.

I'm ok being proven wrong later. - for now, that's my opinion.

VN Store

Back