OU starting D

First, the published starting D is in a 4-2-5 scheme and it appears we are taking a page out of the Seattle Seahawk defensive alignment by putting a LB @ DE in a 4-man front.

Second, Matt Dimon has always been a DE but it appears he has been moved inside. Either his posted weight is a typo or he is extremely light for the position. He is an outstanding player who was recruited out of Texas H.S. power Katy.

Finally, the NB position will be used primarily in the same manner we used our great safety, Roy Williams; i.e., down in the box. Steven Parker played a lot as a freshman last year and is highly thought of.

DE: Eric Striker...6'0", 222lbs Sr.
DT: Matt Dimon...6'2", 260lbs Jr. or Charles Walker...6'2', 297 lbs Rs-So
DT: Matt Romar...6'0", 291lbs Rs-So
DE: Charles Tapper...6'2", 282lbs Sr

ILB: Jordan Evans...6'2", 239lbs Jr
ILB: Dom Alexander...6'0", 220lbs Jr

CB: Zach Sanchez...5"11", 179lbs Rs-Jr
CB: Jordan Thomas...6'0", 191lbs So

FS: Hatari Byrd...6'1", 206lbs Jr
SS: Ahmad Thomas...6'0", 213lbs Jr

NB: Steven Parker...6'1", 200lbs So

We are incredibly deep in the front 6/7 so I expect lots of rotation within this group, much like our WR group which will probably see as many as 8 rotate in and out of the offensive lineup. When you run a spread, fast tempo, passing attack you need lots of WR depth.

Just amazing to me that Striker is the stud that he is at only 6'0 222.....seemed approximately 7 times that size last year.

One more observation. There are only 10 seniors on the Sooner 2-deep. This is a very young team.

I think I counted 10 (or so) upperclassmen (not just seniors) on the entire UT 2-deep, offense and defense. I think our ideas of a "young" team are worlds apart. Then again, that's the difference that stability in a program provides.

Just amazing to me that Striker is the stud that he is at only 6'0 222.....seemed approximately 7 times that size last year.

He came close to where we were sitting last year and he appeared to be much larger than his 6' frame.

I think I counted 10 (or so) upperclassmen (not just seniors) on the entire UT 2-deep, offense and defense. I think our ideas of a "young" team are worlds apart. Then again, that's the difference that stability in a program provides.

I understand. And I understand wanting to get as much speed on the field as possible, since UT is a faster team. And I understand the nickel against the spread.

But if (and this is a big IF...) UT is able to pull off smash mouth from the spread like Debord infers we will be able to do, then UT may become a VERY hard team to defend.

Line up in the spread, if you see a nickel, smash them in the mouth and take advantage. Line up in the spread, if they go heavy-D, play action pass, or gouge them on the perimeter... The options are almost endless, especially with a mobile QB.

So far I haven't seen the nasty streak in our O-line (outside of Robertson and sometimes Jones) that makes me believe they can play smash mouth football. Maybe they will get angry for games, but I'm in wait a see mode. Our D-line on the other hand...

Debord came out last week and said two things. He wants smash-mouth, and he's happy with where the OL is right now.

I agree, it's a wait and see, thus the 'if, big if' predicate.

Edit for those who may have missed it:

So no, DeBord hasn’t changed too much the past seven months.

But the veteran offensive coach wanted a few things — especially the Vols’ attitude about the running game — to be different.

In short, DeBord wanted — demanded, actually — that Tennessee's offense get better at rolling up its sleeves and hitting people in the mouth. In his mind, you can do that with a modern, no-huddle, uptempo spread just as well as you can do it with an old-school Power-I. The formation is just dressing. Commitments to fundamentals and a nasty disposition are the meat and potatoes.

So it’s important to note that DeBord smiled when asked how he rates the physicality in Tennessee’s running game heading into practice week for the Vols’ season-opening game against Bowling Green in Nashville.

"I like it,” DeBord said. “I do.”

Mike DeBord happy with UT Vols football's run-game toughness

Last edited:

VN Store

Back