Other than finding a QB what are the coach's 3 biggest position issues for 2021?

Defensive Line
Linebackers
Secondary

The entire defense is a concern. I like who we have on offense if we can find a QB that can perform.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Vol66,speed at wr?Are you completely out of it?Hiatt-3.1-3.2 40,Calloway,3.7-3.8,others.sub 4.0.That is speed.Need one of more of our qb's to get the ball there where they don't have to stop to catch it.Orange Lightning!
Got sources for all those sub 4.0 40 times...cuz im not seeing them....I saw Hyatt at 4.2. and Calloway at 4.4....

IMO, more than than any other position, RB success is a product of the system. If you have someone who can grasp the concepts of the offense and has athleticism appropriate for the level of competition, that RB will be successful if the players around him are doing their job.

Tiyon Evans will start...experienced as Gray. Small, Beckwith and Wright more explosive AND sturdier runners than Gray or Chandler.

I'm hoping on Evans but
I totally agree on Small thought he was the best RB after being hit always going forward. Getting extra yardage that carries over to change the dynamics of how you have to call the next play down & distance wise.
I kept waiting on CJP to come out and start him, saying "He give's us the best chance to win". but just one player had that voodoo over CJP.

I think 1 more TE, 1 OLB/DE/Edge rusher, 2 more DBs from the transfer portal would be good. QB, OL, RB, WR are pretty set. Need more depth on the D and one more good TE.

1. End rushers
2. Solid two RBs
3. Linebackers

Thoughts besides every position lol

I think our offensive shell is okay.

I think Offensive and defensive line and Secondary are biggest issue areas. We haven’t had good or “dependable” secondary since Jancek days

Other than whats already been named i think also a solid kicker. Someone who is consistant not hit or miss on every other kick.

Last edited:
If I'm being honest, I'm sick of recruiting and "stars". One of the worst things ever to happen to college football. Kids have been brought up chasing a "star" rating. They are put up on pedestals and almost worshiped. Coaches always preached the need to un-recruit these kids once you get 'em to campus. This transfer BS now makes that impossible. Who the hell in their right mind would choose to be a college coach vs being in the NFL? You'd have to be nuts to want to deal with kids like this day in, day out year after year. This might be a big reason that guys like Campbell choose to stay where they are. There's no reason to chase a bigger job when you're constantly compared to the likes of Bama and OSU. It's a no win situation for programs like UT. We're never going to recruit at their level while Saban is there. We're never going to have the built in advantages that UGA and UF have...at least not in most of our lifetimes.

What I really want to see is a coaching staff assembled that can really identify kids who love to play this game. They're not chasing money under the table or "star rankings". Give me a staff who can identify quality football players who are playing for the right reason....they love the sport and the competition. I've lost my taste for these 5 star prima donnas who look like they're going through the motions as they wait to be draft eligible. Losses don't bother them in the least. They just don't care.

Might be a fantasy in today's game, but I want a roster that cares about it as much as we fans do. They care about and want to be a part of something bigger than themselves. I'm almost to the point of sending college football to the pile of sports I no longer support like all of the pro sports 'cept golf and MMA. Or I'll simply support and follow schools like the service academies. After 55 years of being a UT fan and alum, I've about reached my limit. I'm really pulling for Heupel to be the guy who can rescue the program. Just give us kids who give a **** and work hard for each other and the program. Show us that you really love to play this game and we'll have your backs. UT fans want to love their program and look forward to Saturdays again.

Vol66,speed at wr?Are you completely out of it?Hiatt-3.1-3.2 40,Calloway,3.7-3.8,others.sub 4.0.That is speed.Need one of more of our qb's to get the ball there where they don't have to stop to catch it.Orange Lightning!
I’m hoping that’s just a typo and you meant to put a 4 instead of a 3 on those times. Even so, the fastest 40 time on record is a 4.2 I believe so I truly doubt we have anyone in that range. I know we have a couple REALLY fast guys but let’s be realistic about it.

Got sources for all those sub 4.0 40 times...cuz im not seeing them....I saw Hyatt at 4.2. and Calloway at 4.4....
I was assuming it was a typo. Maybe timed by their HS coach on a wristwatch?

I am not criticizing the players, who are fast, just never heard of times like those.

Tiyon Evans will start...experienced as Gray. Small, Beckwith and Wright more explosive AND sturdier runners than Gray or Chandler.

That's what I like to hear...sounds like an all-around upgrade!

I think the defensive line is key - we haven't had a solid DL in a while and it puts a lot of pressure on LB's and secondary to make up for our lack of pass rush and filling the gaps on run plays. Filling our losses on the o-line should also be a priority. I think we have quality players at the skill positions and strong D-line and O-line make them look better :)

VN Store

Back