Otha Peters to Transfer?

Don't want him. Him bailing at the last second for pleasure from hostesses tells me all I need to know. Bryce Brown anyone? A real man would of done that and said "I am sticking with Tenn, but I had fun at your institution." Not only that, as painfully as this sounds, Tenn is far from doing BCS damage. However, since that was his main argument, no matter who coached, Ark was not going to EVER jump Bama or LSU. As talented as he is, a linebacker has never soley won a national championship. If he is really thinking of transferring, I make him sweat. All the haters will say that Tenn can't afford to play hardball with Peters. Again, he is only a linebacker... :blink:

Reactions: 1 person
Don't want him. Him bailing at the last second for pleasure from hostesses tells me all I need to know. Bryce Brown anyone? A real man would of done that and said "I am sticking with Tenn, but I had fun at your institution." Not only that, as painfully as this sounds, Tenn is far from doing BCS damage. However, since that was his main argument, no matter who coached, Ark was not going to EVER jump Bama or LSU. As talented as he is, a linebacker has never soley won a national championship. If he is really thinking of transferring, I make him sweat. All the haters will say that Tenn can't afford to play hardball with Peters. Again, he is only a linebacker... :blink:

Yeah, just like Al Wilson was only a linebacker :crazy:

And no I'm not saying Otha Peters is Al Wilson.

But your argument for just a LB is silly - go back and watch '98 Florida game to see what a linebacker can do to get a team into the BCS title game.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd take him if he wants to come here. I know when I was 18 I didn't really know what I wanted to do. And in situations like this don't the NCAA allow waivers on not having to sit out a year? I'm not sure about the rule on things like this.

Yeah, just like Al Wilson was only a linebacker :crazy:

And no I'm not saying Otha Peters is Al Wilson.

But your argument for just a LB is silly - go back and watch '98 Florida game to see what a linebacker can do to get a team into the BCS title game.

Ray Lewis and Derrick Johnson were the only linebackers that I ever saw dictate a college game. One is a hall of famer and the other is not. Your misunderstood post claims that I don't think a linebacker can have an impact on a game. I certainly think a linebacker can dominate the results of a game. I want you to know we are talking about the unproven Otha Peters. Will he be great? Maybe. He needs help though, and a championship calibur team to go along with him. Do you think Tenn is knocking on the door of that? If so, my apologies for being silly, Silly. :whistling:

I'd take him if he wants to come here. I know when I was 18 I didn't really know what I wanted to do. And in situations like this don't the NCAA allow waivers on not having to sit out a year? I'm not sure about the rule on things like this.

NCAA historically would allow a waiver if an NCAA penalty prevented a player from playing in a bowl game in his final years, like our recent USC grab. His only shot at a release is for Ark to grant it. Not likely.

lol at some of you guys saying we should turn a kid like this away, who has done nothing wrong, because of hurt feelings. schools do the same thing to committs all the time. this kid wants to come back, then welcome home Otha.

He's not going anywhere but why wouldn't UT fans want him? I don't recall people wanting Pearl to turn down Tyler Smith, and there was a lot of bad blood there for a while. I'd take him in a heartbeat. We were 5-7 last year ya know.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Not even a discussion... Peters is an ABSOLUTE take at LB if he wants to/is able to come here this year. Are you kidding me? The position we are the thinnest at, and means the most in our new defensive scheme and people are going to whine about how Petrino tricked him into picking Arkansas at the last minute? Get over yourselves...

Kid is a player and the kind of talent we need to get back on top. He would play from day 1.

Reactions: 2 people
I do hate how all the crazy Vol twitter people are attacking him. I know every fan base has those people, but it sucks that they are the loud ones. Looks like a bunch of UT players are being nice to him though.

Would I take him? If he begged and apologized yes. I would NEVER ask him to join though after what he pulled. He is a LINEBACKER, not a RB, or QB. Linebackers dominate as a UNIT. This is Otha Peters. IF he walked on water like many of you believe, he would be on LSU (I know they had an unreal haul at LB this year, but this exemplifies my point that he is good, but not the next big thing), Bama, Florida, Ohio St, USC, etc... Peters was committed to Tenn forever (a 5 win team) and then decides to switch to Arkansas (of all teams who have never had a good defense)? Give me a break. Is he a take? Yes. I don't want him though.

Last edited:
Not even a discussion... Peters is an ABSOLUTE take at LB if he wants to/is able to come here this year. Are you kidding me? The position we are the thinnest at, and means the most in our new defensive scheme and people are going to whine about how Petrino tricked him into picking Arkansas at the last minute? Get over yourselves...

Kid is a player and the kind of talent we need to get back on top. He would play from day 1.

It would have to be Day 366, but I agree.

Would I take him? If he begged and apologized yes. I would NEVER ask him to join though after what he pulled. He is a LINEBACKER, not a RB, or QB. Linebackers dominate as a UNIT. This is Otha Peters. IF he walked on water like many of you believe, he would be on LSU (I know they had an unreal haul at LB this year, but this exemplifies my point that he is good, but not the next big thing), Bama, Florida, Ohio St, USC, etc... Peters was committed to Tenn forever (a 5 win team) and then decides to swith to Arkansas (of all teams who have never had a good defense)? Give me a break. Is he a take? Yes. I don't want him though.
so you are saying you would beg him if he were a QB? does the QB position deserve a different moral compass to you, even though
we only take 1 QB in a class and him leaving at the last minute would be devastating?

Last edited:
so you are saying you would beg him if he were a QB? does the QB position deserve a different moral compass to you, even though
we only take 1 QB in a class and him leaving at the last minute would be devestating?

I meant from a standpoint on what impact a QB or RB can have on a team as an individual. A QB is a difference maker. Just is what it is. The pay scale in the NFL seems to feel the same way. If you have a great QB, you usually win. If you have a one individual great linebacker, well ask...

I meant from a standpoint on what impact a QB or RB can have on a team as an individual. A QB is a difference maker. Just is what it is. The pay scale in the NFL seems to feel the same way. If you have a great QB, you usually win. If you have a one individual great linebacker, well ask...

From the moral viewpoint, I personally would not ask back a QB or RB back that spurned Tenn and that goes for all positions. However, to see everyone up in arms over a linebacker that spurned us is beyond me. I am trying to say the only way I would ever side with many of the opinions would be if Peters was a QB or RB. Sorry if I did not come off that way.

but surely you appreciate our urgent and desperate need for LBs right now, right?

nm

Last edited:
but surely you appreciate our urgent and desperate need for LBs right now, right? having a great LB won't make a team but not having one can really hurt a team.

Hmmm, I think the Colts needed linebackers too. However, if you asked them, I think they would of taken Manning over <insert greatest linebacker of all time here> Manning was responsible for double digit wins year in and year out. Not sure a linebacker was ever responsible for that. To your point, the Colts needed linebacking help too...

And that's not smart to hope that. Kid made a mistake and listened to a scumbag. It happens. If he wants to come you accept his talent with open arms. Hell of a pick up for next year IMO.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This!! Looks like Petrino snow-balled quite a few "well educated" people in his career. Can't blame a kid for believing a rival coach for saying the same thing that most of the people on here were saying. With the lack of depth at LB, I would gladly except him here.

If Otha Peters gets us to 9 wins next year, sign him up. :thumbsup:

Kw3953, you have changed ur stance, and pov more times than Patrino did about what happened, and whether he was alone! Ur a TROLL!!!! U say u wouldn't let him back, then oh well if he gets us to 9 wins sign him up! WTH!!! Then u say Tenn is not knocking on the door of a "national championship "! Who tha heck are you to say we're NOT? !?! Are you a coach, booster, insider who knows wat's going on, and is at every practice? There is nobody on here that can tell us who next years NC is going to be Jimmy H jr! WE ARE THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE! If ur not down with that, and our aspirations of a NC, then I got to 2 WORDS FOR Ya! Be a true fan and SUPPORT whatever decision Dooley and company decide to make, and help us as a "fan", and cheer them on! As far as Otha goes, yeah he turned his back on us because of a sly tongued snake in the grass, but karma is a mofo! If a young man who made a bad decision because of that snake, wanted to make ammends and come back home where he belongs, then by all means we should open our arms and accept him! Otha I personally would cheer for him, just like ANY other young man who suits up for my beloved VOLUNTEERS!

GBFO!!! VFL!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Still have mixed feelings about Peters. We defiantly could use him but he wasnt committed to being a vol in February when the grass was greener in Arkansas.

I dare to dream of one day calling bucksnort, Tennessee my home. One day man...one day it will happen.

VN Store

Back