Oregon Update

Mario Cristobal, offensive line coach (formerly at Bama) seems to love the Oregon offensive line. They guys have added weight and strength during the off season. RB Freeman apparently spends all his spare time working with the offensive line and attending offensive line meetings, basically joining the offensive line as an unoffical member.

Good Luck this year Ducks.

Like to see you all do well, after the Duck pulling the truck skit last year and of course Mariota to the Titans, ive become a bit of a fan. Good Luck.

Agree.

Except for the Mariota going to the titans thing. I like Mariota.

He was extremely overrated because of Chip Kelly. Kelly was the offensive coordinator at Oregon also.

Just like the Tom Herman/Major Applewhite situation at Houston.

I would feel more comfortable and confident with Helfrich as OC than L. Scott but hope my fears are proven unfounded. IMO, the biggest thing which led to Helfrich downfall was his inability to develop a QB after Mariota. He relied on one and done transfers that never really worked out well. Oregon had a great run for 10 yrs previously with QB's (Johnson, Masoli, D.Thomas, Mariota.)

I would feel more comfortable and confident with Helfrich as OC than L. Scott but hope my fears are proven unfounded. IMO, the biggest thing which led to Helfrich downfall was his inability to develop a QB after Mariota. He relied on one and done transfers that never really worked out well. Oregon had a great run for 10 yrs previously with QB's (Johnson, Masoli, D.Thomas, Mariota.)

I'd say that certainly was a big part of the problem.

And Dennis Dixon.

I wasn't going to go there, but with your addition, I'll add Kellen Clemens, Akili Smith, AJ Feeley, Joey Harrington, and Tony Graziani.

I meant under the Kelly/Helfrich scheme. I was thinking of D Dixon but put Johnson instead. You guys probably would have went to the Natty game if he hadn't of got hurt in 07. Who could forget the Joey Heisman campaign...lol

I meant under the Kelly/Helfrich scheme. I was thinking of D Dixon but put Johnson instead. You guys probably would have went to the Natty game if he hadn't of got hurt in 07. Who could forget the Joey Heisman campaign...lol

You're kind. If we'd had the depth we needed an injured player at any position wouldn't keep Oregon or any other deserving team out of the Natty.

I'm not an expert on the subject of Helfrich, but I will give you a few insights that might help. Helfrich is a local family, for many years I would finish my fly fishing trips at "Helfrich boat landing", the most respected local fly fishing guide service is run by the Helfrich family. I've used them for fly fishing trips in Idaho (Salmon River). I play duplicate bridge against one of the Helfrich's.

Second, Oregon got in the habit of hiring small school coaches to run the Oregon program and they were quite successful with this strategy. Mike Bellotti, Chip Kelly and Helfrich all came to Oregon from small schools and were hired originally as offensive coordinators. The concept worked well for Oregon. Much better than hiring a head coach from a big program and having him come in try and change everything to "His way" then flop after 3 years.

Oregon became well known for promoting from within the coaching staff and for having very low coaching turnover.

I guess the net result is perhaps the coaching "gene pool" became diluted and it caught up with Oregon. Taggart fits the small school concept, but he comes from a much different coaching "family tree". So we'll see how it goes........

Oh, and we may have another "Marcus Mariotta" type guy at QB. Plus we do have another "Mariotta" on the team, Marcus' younger brother is at Oregon

Interesting, thanks.

He was overly reliant on QB transfers but it appears that actually did him in was how bad the defense was. Perhaps he's still there if the defense was halfway decent last year (probably turns 3 or 4 of those losses into wins because you were scoring enough points to win).

I've had an eye on Taggart for a while, good to see him recruiting well there.

I hated that he got a bigger job so soon because he would've been at the top of my wish list were a change made in the near future. I think if he excels out there he won't have any interest in moving along again. Despite having some minor west coast ties, I was shocked to see him leave for UO just because I didn't think his strong FL ties would translate to recruiting out there. He's proven me wrong and done a great job at pulling FL kids across country. I don't want to see him on the sidelines at a major SEC school, unless it's UT. He's proven he can turn around programs as good as anybody and as quickly as anybody in the country.

I hated that he got a bigger job so soon because he would've been at the top of my wish list were a change made in the near future. I think if he excels out there he won't have any interest in moving along again. Despite having some minor west coast ties, I was shocked to see him leave for UO just because I didn't think his strong FL ties would translate to recruiting out there. He's proven me wrong and done a great job at pulling FL kids across country. I don't want to see him on the sidelines at a major SEC school, unless it's UT. He's proven he can turn around programs as good as anybody and as quickly as anybody in the country.

Oh, I'd think he'd move from Oregon, and I bet Oregon probably knows that.

He's not a west coast guy as you mentioned, and an SEC/ACC school in need of a coach would be extremely interested in him based on the Florida ties and how well he'd done at 3 previous jobs (3 dramatic turnarounds at 3 different programs, if Oregon works out).

Oregon is a good job but they could be outbid for his services.

Oh, I'd think he'd move from Oregon, and I bet Oregon probably knows that.

He's not a west coast guy as you mentioned, and an SEC/ACC school in need of a coach would be extremely interested in him based on the Florida ties and how well he'd done at 3 previous jobs (3 dramatic turnarounds at 3 different programs, if Oregon works out).

Oregon is a good job but they could be outbid for his services.

??? Um... I don't think "money" would be an issue if Oregon wants to keep him in Eugene...:)

Reactions: 1 person
??? Um... I don't think "money" would be an issue if Oregon wants to keep him in Eugene...:)

They have the single biggest donor perhaps in all of college athletics, but they would eventually balk at what a Texas, Florida, or Alabama would offer if they really wanted a guy.

They have the single biggest donor perhaps in all of college athletics, but they would eventually balk at what a Texas, Florida, or Alabama would offer if they really wanted a guy.

Not UF just because it's not their MO. They get true, proven up and comers. They've proven they'll pay once you achieve success at UF but they're not gonna go and grab another P5 coach at the top of their game.

Denis Dixon, too.

I would too. Scott has never called plays.

VN Store

Back