Opinions on if we get 200 yards rushing in the O/W game

This is the fallacy of the spring game. Playing against your own team could mean almost anything.

One of UK's units will look good against the other. One of Ole Miss' units will look better. One of Bama's will look better.

If the O plays well it could be that they're really good but the D is behind.... or at the opposite extreme it could mean the O stinks but the D stinks alot worse.

The coaches and some of the experienced players are the only ones that will know whether to worry or have confidence based on the spring. They probably won't say directly either way. You basically have to look for the meanings behind their "speak".

Nothing matters in the spring game. I assume your novel agrees. :p

I would love the ability to play another team in the spring, as a scrimmage.

ETA: To play devil's advocate, the perception of our O rushing that much on our 1st string D would cause a little concern. In four months of offseason and 20 practices, we fixed a problem that we couldn't all of last year.

Last edited:
If we rush for 200 then it's Dooley's fault for us having bad defense.

If we don't rush for 200 then it's Dooley's fault for us having a poor running game.

Nothing matters in the spring game. I assume your novel agrees. :p

I would love the ability to play another team in the spring, as a scrimmage.

ETA: To play devil's advocate, the perception of our O rushing that much on our 1st string D would cause a little concern. In four months of offseason and 20 practices, we fixed a problem that we couldn't all of last year.

Hard to say. UT didn't have a good spring last year running the ball. So it seems reasonable that either the run game has improved a little or the D has gotten much worse.

Hard to say. UT didn't have a good spring last year running the ball. So it seems reasonable that either the run game has improved a little or the D has gotten much worse.

But we didn't have a good spring game in general last year. I blame the format for a lot of that. Hard to get in any sort of rhythm when you have walk ons playing major roles .

I hope this year we go 1v1 and 2v2 instead of a draft.

But we didn't have a good spring game in general last year. I blame the format for a lot of that. Hard to get in any sort of rhythm when you have walk ons playing major roles .

I hope this year we go 1v1 and 2v2 instead of a draft.

I wasn't really referring to the O&W game but agree with you about the format. IIRC, no one but Poole really got any yards in the other scrimmages. No one but the OL said much positive about the run game.

The draft thing only works if your 2's and 3's are talented guys in development. Many of the 2's and most of the 3's last year were untalented.

I wasn't really referring to the O&W game but agree with you about the format. IIRC, no one but Poole really got any yards in the other scrimmages. No one but the OL said much positive about the run game.

The draft thing only works if your 2's and 3's are talented guys in development. Many of the 2's and most of the 3's last year were untalented.

Exactly. Draft style O/W Game with '98 team talent would be great to watch.

I could care less which walk on gets the most yardage this year. The fact that people are already clamoring for Jacob Carter to have contributing minutes this fall shows we really aren't close to that level.

Just listening to Vol Calls...not gonna be draft style this year. Dooley said he wants to see "good on good"....good news for the fans.

if 200 yards rushing is achieved during the spring game, it simply means that rod wilks was showing his ability to be a team player and being merciful to anyone carrying a football.

Rod Wilks jokes aren't really all that entertaining when trolls attempt them.

I apologize for asking this question, but I have not kept up with the running game. Who is presumed to be the starting RB this season? I assumed it was Lane.

Rod Wilks jokes aren't really all that entertaining when trolls attempt them.

oooooooooooohhh

84ceabcf.jpg

Exactly. Draft style O/W Game with '98 team talent would be great to watch.

I could care less which walk on gets the most yardage this year. The fact that people are already clamoring for Jacob Carter to have contributing minutes this fall shows we really aren't close to that level.

So, you're saying you care.

Turns out I was wrong about getting 200 yards rushing. But,the Orange did manage 174 yards, and that was with only 10 minute quarters.
And Lane performed better than I expected!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back