Online College - Worth it?

Dustin4Vols

27 years old. Retail manager with a wife and baby. Want to further my career with current company or somewhere else. I hear a lot of horror stories about online college and there degrees being taken seriously. I would obviously try to get a business admin (I know that it's the most general degree out there)

Just wondering if it's even worth it. Actually college setting is out of the question for me but has anyone done online college?

The degree is no different than the one you'd get if you took classroom classes (from a real school obviously).

I have a degree from Columbia College (some online, some in class) in MO. You can't tell by looking at the degree where I took the classes.

The degree is no different than the one you'd get if you took classroom classes (from a real school obviously).

I have a degree from Columbia College (some online, some in class) in MO. You can't tell by looking at the degree where I took the classes.

Gotcha. We have a community college here in va. I guess I just worrying about the cost,the dedication,and if it will really help me out. Like I said I know people with bachelors in business admin and are in careers that non degree people have (not by choice.

My sister is getting a Masters right now online. Her degree will have the name of the school on it just as if she attended classes on campus everyday.

Online degrees are becoming more and more common and I don't think it will have any negative aspects in regards to furthering your career.

And in regards to if it's worth it or not I guess it just depends on the career field and on a case by case basis.

For example I had a Bachelors and Masters and was still working as a cook at a restaurant for almost a year after finishing my Masters.

Now I'm in a great career but one that only requires a high school diploma to get into.

You won't even be able to tell where the classes were taken on the degree. I know people who've done full online stuff, and partial. It's all the same.

I've done classes on the side through a local community college. I will say this, online school is no joke. For me, I struggle with organizational skills and simply remembering stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've remembered the last second that I had an exam that was due later that day, or a paper. It's completely on you, which is the hardest thing. But some people thrive on it, so maybe you'd do well. Like I said, it's not my cup of tea. I've done 4 classes (all 101/110 etc level), and they are 10x worse than my 300/400 level history classes I do at UK in the classroom.

Reactions: 1 person
You won't even be able to tell where the classes were taken on the degree. I know people who've done full online stuff, and partial. It's all the same.

I've done classes on the side through a local community college. I will say this, online school is no joke. For me, I struggle with organizational skills and simply remembering stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've remembered the last second that I had an exam that was due later that day, or a paper. It's completely on you, which is the hardest thing. But some people thrive on it, so maybe you'd do well. Like I said, it's not my cup of tea. I've done 4 classes (all 101/110 etc level), and they are 10x worse than my 300/400 level history classes I do at UK in the classroom.

I was completely opposite, I took some of my lower level also at the community college but online. I loved it, didn't have to go to class and could do the work on my time. Found it easier to teach myself and learn at my own pace. I do well with organization though.

I was completely opposite, I took some of my lower level also at the community college but online. I loved it, didn't have to go to class and could do the work on my time. Found it easier to teach myself and learn at my own pace. I do well with organization though.

I end up doing like 8 quizzes at once in a two hour stretch instead of like 10 minutes a week over a two month span. I'm the worst person when it comes to holding one's self accountable. I got the grades, but it was such a struggle. I prayed to get back into my high level classes on campus after those summers.

1. Opt for traditional schools offering online degrees vs for-profit online only schools.
2. Online requires discipline and unlike many live classes requires a consistent level of attention and work throughout the semester as opposed to the peaks of and valleys of live class activity. Be sure you are ready to make that commitment. If you get behind you are screwed.
3. You may look for local schools that offer blended (partial online) courses or night courses.
4. You may look into a program where you can take some courses online (the prereqs, non-major courses) and go traditional for the ones that are more important to you. Particularly in upper level business classes there are benefits from being in the live, real-time course.

Don't over pay for convenience - if you heed #1 your degree will likely be of better quality, reputation and less expensive than the for-profit type online only options.

Reactions: 4 people
There are good online degree programs and useless ones. As long as you do your research and find one with solid accreditation you'll be golden.

I find online classes harder. I don't have the self discipline to make sure I do the work in a timely manner.

Yep, all about what school you choose. My wife was working on her Computer Science degree through the University of Maryland online (until budget cuts forced her employer to temporarily stop paying for educational advancement). It was a great program and well thought of.

Good thread, I've been thinking about doing some classes.

Take a class on line and try one at night as well. The big thing is getting started.Oh yeah, be sure they are fully accredited!!!!!

The University of Phoenix is the Harvard of online Universities.............so Ive been told

VN Store

Back