One more reason to like CBJ

fade route

Just being honest
Quote from Butch Jones on a recent talk in Nashville:

"There are parents who prepare the path for their kid, and parents who prepare their kid for the path. We have way too many parents trying to prepare the path for their kid. Hey, they need to fail, they learn through adversity"

Spot on

Reactions: 44 people

"There are parents who prepare the path for their kid, and parents who prepare their kid for the path. We have way too many parents trying to prepare the path for their kid. Hey, they need to fail, they learn through adversity"

Spot on

very anti participation trophy. :good!:

Reactions: 5 people
It's good to have a coach who cares about his players on and off the field. I really want Butch to do good here and I believe he'll get it done!

Reactions: 2 people

Spot on

Everyone should not get a trophy for just playing.. Winning matters

Reactions: 1 person
I can't imagine the BS coaches have to put up with these days from parents. Especially ones who think their kid, who was a star player at Podunk County High School, needs to start day one because he's a guaranteed three-and-done player.

Reactions: 2 people
That's rock solid proof that buTch isn't even close to being a Liberal.

Sad that none of the LIEberals will learn anything from that very intelligent quote.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

Hopefully if there is liberals reading this, they will be intelligent enough to know the difference between a football and a political forum.

Reactions: 14 people
Screen_Shot_2015-05-29_at_1.46.12_PM.0.png

Reactions: 3 people
I can't imagine the BS coaches have to put up with these days from parents. Especially ones who think their kid, who was a star player at Podunk County High School, needs to start day one because he's a guaranteed three-and-done player.

As the coach of my son's 7 year old baseball team, I can tell you this about parents. They all fall into 3 basic groups:

Group 1 - Parents of kids who are really, really, good and they know it so they back off and just let their kids play.

Group 2 - Parents of kids who have very little ability but just want their kids to have a good experience and know that the coaches know more about baseball than they do so they also back off.

Group 3 - Parents of kids with average talent but THINK their kid is in group A, so they are constantly *****ing and moaning about playing time, bad calls, and emails to coaches with tips, strategy, etc.

I love groups 1 and 2. Group 3.....I want to punch in the neck

Reactions: 8 people
As the coach of my son's 7 year old baseball team, I can tell you this about parents. They all fall into 3 basic groups:

Group 1 - Parents of kids who are really, really, good and they know it so they back off and just let their kids play.

Group 2 - Parents of kids who have very little ability but just want their kids to have a good experience and know that the coaches know more about baseball than they do so they also back off.

Group 3 - Parents of kids with average talent but THINK their kid is in group A, so they are constantly *****ing and moaning about playing time, bad calls, and emails to coaches with tips, strategy, etc.

As a parent who now has grown children and is out of this part of my life I had to chuckle at your comments about parents because it is so true.

The "rest of the story" is the type of coaches who coach youth sports.

Group 1. Person who has knowledge of the game and simply coaches for the love of the sport. A very small minority of youth coaches!

Group 2. The coach who is doing it to relive his/her childhood to make up for some sort of deficiency.

Group 3. The parent with their child on the team. They put their child in a key position (even though they have little athletic ability) and the coach really has no coaching ability. The majority of coaches.

Group 4. The coach who will "cheat" and load his team with the star kids every year. Easiest to spot. They do this to fulfill some deep need that was not met in their childhood.

My main point is most adults (parents and coaches) even though they say differently, really put their kids in and coach these programs for their personal needs, not the child.

YOUTH sports should be about the kids period, unfortunately it is not.

:loco:

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people

Spot on

I'm gonna figure out a way to work this into Bible school this week!

As a parent who now has grown children and is out of this part of my life I had to chuckle at your comments about parents because it is so true.

The "rest of the story" is the type of coaches who coach youth sports.

Group 1. Person who has knowledge of the game and simply coaches for the love of the sport. A very small minority of youth coaches!

Group 2. The coach who has is doing it to relive his/her childhood to make up for some sort of deficiency.

Group 3. The parent with their child on the team. They put their child in a key position (even though they have little athletic ability) and the coach really has no coaching ability. The majority of coaches.

Group 4. The coach who will "cheat" and load his team with the star kids every year. Easiest to spot. They do this to fulfill some deep need that was not met in their childhood.

I can absolutely attest to Group 3! Growing up I played little league football and baseball. There wasn't a single team I was on that didn't have the coaches son as either a.) a starting pitcher or b.) the starting QB.

Lou Holtz tried to prepare his son for the "path", but the kid never became a good quarterback.

Why does everything have to be spun in a political fashion? Nothing about that quote inferenced his political affiliation. Liberal? Conservative? Who cares? This is a collegiate sports forum. Can we keep it that way? Much thanks.
Liberal or conservative? Really it has nothing to do with politics.... It has to do with ones approach to life in general... As smart as we are on the board surely we understand that and to assume he referring to politics is ignorance at best!!!!

Reactions: 3 people

Spot on
Yup. If we could stop having fourth grade graduations, and giving out a ribbon for everything that'd be great. This generation is ruined due to entitlement.

Some how, many of the kids from group 3 make it to HS and the same problems are faced again. When it happens at the college level, the parents find themselves looking for a second school or the kid joins the Army.

Some how, many of the kids from group 3 make it to HS and the same problems are faced again. When it happens at the college level, the parents find themselves looking for a second school or the kid joins the Army.

Look at you, dissing the Army on its birthday! Shame on you! :)

VN Store

Back