Once again Tennessee proves why they'll never be a basketball school

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
We seem to get psyched out anytime we face an elite program and go on to lay an egg.

like last year in Memphis. Give me a break. Not to mention GU's only loss this year.

Team will continue to build chemistry and get better.

Overreact much?

Yeah this proves we'll never be a good basketball school. Whatever.

Memphis was a dominant team last year and an elite team - but not what most would consider an elite 'program'.

Not saying I agree with the post - but wouldn't consider Florida or Memphis elite programs.

Last edited:
Don't forget 3 of 4 from championship Gators. UT just isn't as good this year.

We seem to get psyched out anytime we face an elite program and go on to lay an egg.
Chill out champ, it was one game on a team filled with youngsters. If you dont think giving george town their only loss, owning Florida the last couple years during their title runs and Memphis good wins then you are dreaming, and btw Tennessee WILL never be a basketball school, football will always reign supreme but that doesnt mean we wont be really good at both...this wasnt even worth responding too I dont know why I bothered

Last edited:
I agree, Tennessee will never be a basketball school. However, that's not why.

Please explain

What is there to explain? Memphis is not on the level of Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, UNC, Duke, Michigan State, Uconn, Georgetown, etc. as a PROGRAM.

They can work there way up of course - but that takes time... and that takes National Championship banners - not runner up banners.

Tennessee will never be a basketball school.

Florida won back to back titles and they can't even get 7,000 fans in their arena against their biggest non-conference opponent.

Time for Pearl to start taking a bashing? :) He has done wonders for the UT bball program. There is excitement about the bball program now. At least enought excitement that threads like this get started.

some people are retarted...if you are a tenn footbball fan who just started to watch basketball b/c we r good and ranked plz go bak to football or dont post in the bball forum... this is a young team going into a hostile environment vs the defending champs and we got buried big deal this team needs time to grow

no matter how you spin it, this team isn't very good. They are young and can improve although I don't think they'll improve into a Final Four team before most leave Rocky Top, but this team isn't very good. Horrible defense, bad shot selection and very piss poor free throw shooting technique. Someone has to become the dominant scoring threat that can bring this team back when they fall behind. I don't see anyone on this team capable of that. Perhaps two or three more recruits will make this team really dominant.

As of right now Scotty Hopson is nothing but overrated.

Its pretty bad when you dog a team that has 5 or 6 first year players who have had major playing time this year....i mean we did lose jajuan smith and chris lofton. Thats about 40 points a game....i think you guys are a little bit spoiled. If anything you should praise bruce pearl for getting the major recruits we have gotten. Hopson is extremely good....dont knock the guy. I love how you old men get on here and talk about how horrible he is when he would run circles around you. Chances are hes not goin to the NBA after his first season. And plus KANSAS has a 30 somethin game win streak at home. Get over the loss. And yes we are a basketball school...have you heard of the LADY VOLS...damn some people are so ignorant...i predict this team to lose seven or eight but its the tournament that matters.....

Memphis was a dominant team last year and an elite team - but not what most would consider an elite 'program'.

Not saying I agree with the post - but wouldn't consider Florida or Memphis elite programs.

That is an incredibly senseless statement.

Its pretty bad when you dog a team that has 5 or 6 first year players who have had major playing time this year....i mean we did lose jajuan smith and chris lofton. Thats about 40 points a game....i think you guys are a little bit spoiled. If anything you should praise bruce pearl for getting the major recruits we have gotten. Hopson is extremely good....dont knock the guy. I love how you old men get on here and talk about how horrible he is when he would run circles around you. Chances are hes not goin to the NBA after his first season. And plus KANSAS has a 30 somethin game win streak at home. Get over the loss. And yes we are a basketball school...have you heard of the LADY VOLS...damn some people are so ignorant...i predict this team to lose seven or eight but its the tournament that matters.....

please. roughly .0005% of the population think UT's women's basketball team is bigger than the football team. I've travelled all over the country and for every 50 people I get that want to talk UT football with me, I might be lucky to find some old bluehair who brings up Pat Summitt after they are done talking about football.

And Scotty Hopson is severely overrated. Doesn't have a clue on defense and is sloppy on offense.

I think any thoughts of Scotty being 1 and done have been squashed.

I also think any thoughts of Tyler going to the NBA early are unfounded, Chism too.

If/when they all return next year, we will be very good.

some people are retarted...if you are a tenn footbball fan who just started to watch basketball b/c we r good and ranked plz go bak to football or dont post in the bball forum... this is a young team going into a hostile environment vs the defending champs and we got buried big deal this team needs time to grow

You just have to laugh at the retarts.

Chill out champ, it was one game on a team filled with youngsters. If you dont think giving george town their only loss, owning Florida the last couple years during their title runs and Memphis good wins then you are dreaming, and btw Tennessee WILL never be a basketball school, football will always reign supreme but that doesnt mean we wont be really good at both...this wasnt even worth responding too I dont know why I bothered

I guess that you didn't notice that Georgetown got their asses handed to them by Pittsburgh earlier today prior to the UT game.

no matter how you spin it, this team isn't very good. They are young and can improve although I don't think they'll improve into a Final Four team before most leave Rocky Top, but this team isn't very good. Horrible defense, bad shot selection and very piss poor free throw shooting technique. Someone has to become the dominant scoring threat that can bring this team back when they fall behind. I don't see anyone on this team capable of that. Perhaps two or three more recruits will make this team really dominant.

As of right now Scotty Hopson is nothing but overrated.

Some of you may recall that I predicted last year that UT's basketball team would take a big step backward when Lofton left and that they would need about 3 years to build into a consistently elite caliber team.

VN Store

Back