Old Vols

Was sitting right behind the goal post and when Terry grabbed that ball, I almost had a heart attack because Alabama had marched the length of the field and it looked as if we were going to lose our umpteenth time in a row to them....Then I and almost 100,00 of fellow Vols yelled and yelled and yelled and watched both goal post come down...One of the greatest moments in Vol history. Of course it was the Bear's last game against Tn and that made it more special...Majors shook hands with Bear sitting on the shoulders of his players...Greatest of moments....

Awesome game; I was there in the stands that day.

Awesome game; I was there in the stands that day.

That game was the first and last time I had happy tears over a football game. It was the first time in my life (that I could remember anyway) that we had beat Alabama. It was a crazy scene with the game and the Worlds Fair. Best party night ever on the strip.

This one is a bit off topic, but back in the 1960's(I think), there was a baseball game telecast every Saturday with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese announcing. For you younger viewers, Ole Diz was a former pitcher for St. Louis and Pee Wee was a former shortstop for the Dodgers (Brooklyn and L.A. if my memory is correct). There was even an Ole Diz brand bagged charcoal named for Dean.

Anyway, one Saturday Ole Diz and Pee Wee are trying to fill some time during a particularly boring game (baseball can get that way). Diz was as country as they come, and made no effort to hide it. Well, the camera man kept training the camera on a young couple in the stands, who were kissing repeatedly. After a few more fouled off pitches, as the camera man panned back to the couple for about the 3rd or 4th time, Ole Diz says to Reese ........"Podner,....I've finally got it figured out. He's kissin' her on the strikes, and she's kissin' him on the balls." So help me, that happened.

Reactions: 1 person
1972 Grad, that really takes me back. I can close my eyes and still hear Dizzy mutilate the English language to the chagrin of English teachers everywhere: "He slud into second thar."

Reactions: 1 person
I'm tying to figure out where this thread goes or what it means! I'm an old vol who grew when the Big O was growing up before me and it evolved to a National Championship! Go Big O! Next thing is that we all have been through the ups and downs of the Volnation and we will always be. We're not the media darlings, we're not always on top but, when it comes to people who make since in the world it is always the Big O! Do you all not realize that Peyton Mannning chose us over a lot of schools. It's because we have minds and make sense in the real world. Based on nothing more than we come from hard work that leaned to think. Ask Mike Terry and why he called me Tumbleweed. Look him up and find out his great venture into the world of athletics and why he is the most special person I ever met! End of story! Go Big O!! :clapping:

The same Mike Terry that intercepted Walter Louis' pass in the back if the endzone to beat the Bear for the last time?

I rember when i was a kid i wonder how Norte Dame played a game in a hour, it was the replay on Sunday.

VN Store

Back