Oklahoma will answer two major concerns in 2015 for the Vols.

Blair will never start a game at the University of Tennessee

Blair will start a game for the University of Tennessee, at some point this season, I believe, though no one knows if he will or won't, as none of us have seen him in a game. Getting p.t. vs. Bowling Green is where it all begins.

Reactions: 1 person
the sooners have a fast,stout, defense and they are good and shouldn't be underestimated . :no:

I hear that 3 teams in the country currently have 3 defenders on the Bednarik award watch list:

Oklahoma, Notre Dame ... and Tennessee.

Neither should the Vols be underestimated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I think Butch realizes more than us the situation with the oline last year. I believe DeBord will help, and I'm sure its been a key focus this off season. I'm honestly expecting a big improvement.

You're missing one...O'Brien or Owen Williams. They're both solid to better. Picou gets in and Vickers delivers and we can go 3 deep. Nothing for sure but some even odds.

I think I read somewhere Owen Williams rated out as the strongest player on the team.

Reactions: 3 people
I think I read somewhere Owen Williams rated out as the strongest player on the team.

His main problem last year was conditioning. He's been in the program for a year and a half now. I doubt that will be an issue. Hopefully he breaks out.

Blair will start a game for the University of Tennessee, at some point this season, I believe, though no one knows if he will or won't, as none of us have seen him in a game. Getting p.t. vs. Bowling Green is where it all begins.

This kind of bold conviction inspires me. Thank you, sir!

Oklahoma will answer two major concerns for the Vols. (1) Offensive line improvement, especially in pass protection and (2) Ability to stop the run, with whoever starts at MLB. If Tennessee can pull out a win, those concerns will have been answered.

I somewhat agree but this will not be the hyped OU team we played last yr. They will be breaking in a new offense,who knows who plays QB for them. They will be stout in the run game though. But as we saw last yr they were hugely overrated based off their bowl win over Ala. Really no excuse for us to lose to OU at home this yr. Especially with us being favored at home against then.If we start off losing to them and UF then next season could take a bad turn quickly. But beat OU and UF,which is very possible then next year will be a lot of fun.

the sooners have a fast,stout, defense and they are good and shouldn't be underestimated . :no:

They do only return 6 starters on D. They had a good rush defense but were like 117 or something in pass defense. They will be a pretty good team, top 20-30 or so. Not a team anyone should overlook,especially UT but they will be very beatable in Neyland. Really no way we should lose to them at home. Stoops is one of the more overhyped Coach's around. Jmo

It amazes me how so many people here overlook how solid O'Brien and Williams are as DT's. You guys do realize those two young men are not going to just lie down and let two true freshmen take their positions. Vickers and Saulsberry want their spot in the rotation just as much. Hear me out. I'm not advocating that Tuttle and KMac aren't capable of getting serious playing time (KMac is going to be starting this season). I just would like to see O'Brien and Williams receive more credit that is owed to them.

I do agree they have played pretty well for us but O'Brien in particular is pretty undersized. He does play bigger than his size but we definitely need more size at DT that KMac and Tuttle bring. If nothing else just for depth. In a perfect world they get to bring KMac and Tuttle along at their own pace and not just be thrown into action and be expected to be dominant. That's the hardest position for a True FR just to come in and immediately be expected to contribute. But these days kids are so much bigger,stronger and more ready to play than ever before. Can't wait to see how everything plays out.

They do only return 6 starters on D. They had a good rush defense but were like 117 or something in pass defense. They will be a pretty good team, top 20-30 or so. Not a team anyone should overlook,especially UT but they will be very beatable in Neyland. Really no way we should lose to them at home. Stoops is one of the more overhyped Coach's around. Jmo

Agree, Big game Bob seems to choke in the majority of big games. I think people are underestimating the effect that the home crowd will have. This atmosphere will be like Cal 2006 and that can have quite a dramatic effect on a traveling team.

I wasn't trying to imply that the freshmen need to start or that O'Brien and Williams won't be counted on. What I meant is that we need to be able to rotate 4-5 deep at DT with guys who can all be relied on.

O'Brien and Williams often played too many snaps per game last year. If we can rotate 4-5 guys throughout games this season, I expect them to be even more effective.

Agreed. We atleast need Tuttle and KMac to add depth to our undersized DT's. Especially when we play big,physical Olines like Ark,Ala,OU and GA will have. Hard to hold up in the running against those teams with only 3 undersized DT's. Wouldn't hurt as much against spread teams but the teams that rely heavily on their running game and big Olines will continue to cause us problems until we get that size and depth.

Agree, Big game Bob seems to choke in the majority of big games. I think people are underestimating the effect that the home crowd will have. This atmosphere will be like Cal 2006 and that can have quite a dramatic effect on a traveling team.

Absolutely. Being the first home game with one of the most hyped Vol teams we have had since that Cal game it will be electric and ungodly loud. Especially if we start fast and get an early lead. The type games Big game Bob can let get away from him early. Although we will be favored and should be close in the rankings. They won't start off top 5 like last season. Can see us both being in the 20-25 range. But winning that game would be a huge confidence boost for the players,Coachs,fans and alumni. And even possible that Game day might be there. Just hope the Coach's and players are better prepared to handle the hype and pressure that they didn't do against UF. But have confidence it was just a learning curve and will be different this yr.

Oklahoma will answer two major concerns for the Vols. (1) Offensive line improvement, especially in pass protection and (2) Ability to stop the run, with whoever starts at MLB. If Tennessee can pull out a win, those concerns will have been answered.

I think Dobbs mobility and play making ability will make the line look better regardless. So, it may make truly judging O-Line improvement harder to determine, just because it will put the defense on their heels.

It amazes me how so many people here overlook how solid O'Brien and Williams are as DT's. You guys do realize those two young men are not going to just lie down and let two true freshmen take their positions. Vickers and Saulsberry want their spot in the rotation just as much. Hear me out. I'm not advocating that Tuttle and KMac aren't capable of getting serious playing time (KMac is going to be starting this season). I just would like to see O'Brien and Williams receive more credit that is owed to them.

I completely agree, DL will be much deeper. If you didn't notice we were very thin against Iowa on the DL and those two young men did a great job even though both of them were hurting in that game! Gonna be a much different DL this year!

Oklahoma is breaking in a new offensive coordinator and a new offensive line (returning only 28 combined starts).

We of all people should understand by now that a new offensive scheme + inexperienced OL = recipe for disaster. Needless to say, I'm not too concerned about their offense.

As an OU fan the new offensive coordinator is a good thing. OU was very young at WR last year, had one big time receiver (shepherd) who is back this year. they have added lots of talent at that position, plus Freshman last year should be much better this year. the new offense should give Perine and 2 other talented / versatile backs lots of room to run and all can catch the ball. This will be a much better offense than last year. the offensive line will be less experienced, but should still be very good. OU is still a very young football team (only 11 Seniors I think).

. I can't think of any teams that the Vols face this season that will have a better offense than OU (yes, I follow the SEC and am a Vols season ticket holder), but will need great qb play, but the system should provide that.

SToops actually has the best winning percentage vs ranked teams in all of college football. 50-23 before last season, where he was 0-4. Now 50-27, Was tied with Saban (who most think would have much more) in number of wins vs ranked opponents.

His main problem last year was conditioning. He's been in the program for a year and a half now. I doubt that will be an issue. Hopefully he breaks out.

He was winning the linemen sprints at the Orange and White game, he's actually pretty lean at 6'8" 300. I say he breaks out this year too.

As an OU fan the new offensive coordinator is a good thing. OU was very young at WR last year, had one big time receiver (shepherd) who is back this year. they have added lots of talent at that position, plus Freshman last year should be much better this year. the new offense should give Perine and 2 other talented / versatile backs lots of room to run and all can catch the ball. This will be a much better offense than last year. the offensive line will be less experienced, but should still be very good. OU is still a very young football team (only 11 Seniors I think).

. I can't think of any teams that the Vols face this season that will have a better offense than OU (yes, I follow the SEC and am a Vols season ticket holder), but will need great qb play, but the system should provide that.

Offense:
Bama/UGA will be better
Mizzou/USCjr (with Spurrier) will be equal if not better

Offense:
Bama/UGA will be better
Mizzou/USCjr (with Spurrier) will be equal if not better

Bama and UGA brining in new qb's and losing big time WR's. Mizzou lost alot in WR category.

USC?

i think OU probably will be the best offense we see, top to bottom, all year. followed by Bama, ARK, GA, MO, then USC. ARK will be a big test with their OL, RB's and don't sleep on their QB...he's a gamer.

Bama and UGA brining in new qb's and losing big time WR's. Mizzou lost alot in WR category.

USC?

i think OU probably will be the best offense we see, top to bottom, all year. followed by Bama, ARK, GA, MO, then USC. ARK will be a big test with their OL, RB's and don't sleep on their QB...he's a gamer.

OU is also bringing in a new QB but Bama and UGA have better players all around those new QB's.

Yes USC. Look at their offensive production under Steve Spurrier over the last 5 years. They lost a lot of games last year but it definitely wasn't due to offensive performance. They are returning 3 starters on the line, a starting RB Wilds, and an all conference WR Pharoah Cooper. And again, Steve Spurrier is the coach.

Pretty good stats for playing in the SEC:
2010 - 32 ppg
2011 - 30 ppg
2012 - 31 ppg
2013 - 34 ppg
2014 - 32 ppg

As to your points about Arky, I haven't followed them enough to say one way or the other. I'll have to take your word for it.

VN Store

Back