Oklahoma and Texas have reached out to join the SEC (allegedly)

This is what needs to happen:
Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state, and West Virginia join the sec.
Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma state to the west and west Virginia to the east.
Missouri moves from east to west.
Alabama and auburn move from west to east.
Sec west becomes the following:
LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Texas A@M, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state, Arkansas.

Sec east becomes Tennessee, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, West Virginia.

This is what needs to happen.
Why?

OK State and WV bring nothing and just dilute the $$$ for the rest of the SEC. They aren't going to bring significant eyeballs or fan bases.

If you want to add two more schools, get FSU and Cincy. FSU brings a big base and a FL in state rivalry. Cincy tugs at the B1G territory fans and recruiting area, is an up and coming program, and would likely be a KY rival in the making.

So as smaller schools have their programs move from an income stream to a cost center, perhaps we’re seeing the beginning of the end for football programs at:

Hawaii
Georgia Southern
Tulane
Memphis
Rice
SMU
Tulsa
San Diego State
Morehouse
Grambling (& every other HBCU)
Wyoming
Coastal Carolina
Liberty
Etc. etc.

who knows, right? All the sands seem to shift now.
I never could understand why Hawaii is not an athletic powerhouse? I mean who wouldn’t want to go live in Hawaii for 4 years for free?🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

Why?

OK State and WV bring nothing and just dilute the $$$ for the rest of the SEC. They aren't going to bring significant eyeballs or fan bases.

If you want to add two more schools, get FSU and Cincy. FSU brings a big base and a FL in state rivalry. Cincy tugs at the B1G territory fans and recruiting area, is an up and coming program, and would likely be a KY rival in the making.
Much like A&M is reacting to the Texas news now, I believe Florida would probably feel the same way about FSU joining the SEC.
GBO!!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
The biggest irony to this whole thing is that after ten boring years of hearing Texas A&M talk about how self-obsessed, egotistical, controlling, and whiny Texas and its fans were -- Texas A&M turns out to be the SAME EXACT damn thing.
Everyone is looking at this from an SEC point of view, worried about how these two schools joining will make it harder on the existing programs. I’m looking at it from a Texas and Oklahoma perspective. I mean Texas hasn’t really been tearing it up of late in the big12, do Oklahoma and Texas really want to be an annual 2-3 loss team or stay in the big12 where they are the big dogs?
GBO!!

Reactions: kcvols1
Oklahoma maybe but Texas hell no they would poison the SEC it would be funny to see the epic meltdown from the A&M fans though if Texas joined.
Texas has been 52 - 46 in the BIG 12 since 2012. They will lose the Long Horn Network and be 1/16 of a conference, even partners. Something they have never done in the BIG 12. They were always the big fish in the market. This should humble them quite a bit.

Everyone is looking at this from an SEC point of view, worried about how these two schools joining will make it harder on the existing programs. I’m looking at it from a Texas and Oklahoma perspective. I mean Texas hasn’t really been tearing it up of late in the big12, do Oklahoma and Texas really want to be an annual 2-3 loss team or stay in the big12 where they are the big dogs?
GBO!!
I'm probably in the minority, it was before my time as a fan, and it will never happen in a million years. But I'd be perfectly fine with going back to the 10 member SEC of the 80s. Play a 9 game conference schedule with 3 OOC. The two teams with the best conference records play in the SEC championship.

I didn't like TAMU and Mizzou joining, and if the last few days are any indication with their shenanigans, I do not want Texas anywhere near the SEC. They do have a track record of destroying every conference they join. Oklahoma seems alright, I just don't think they are a good fit for the conference.

Oh well, money talks.

Edit to add: I never really cared about playing Arkansas either, and Chicken fans annoy the hell out of me. I wouldn't miss them in the conference at all.

Last edited:
Much like A&M is reacting to the Texas news now, I believe Florida would probably feel the same way about FSU joining the SEC.
GBO!!
That would break my heart for FL. 😁😂

As for TX having to humble themselves, I'm skeptical. They probably think they can buy Big Dog status in the SEC as they have in previous conferences. Maybe they can buy players in this new era, I dunno, but in the SEC.... unlike the Big 12, SWC, etc...... they're truly the new kid. They'll face a fight if they try too much crap.

I'm probably in the minority, it was before my time as a fan, and it will never happen in a million years. But I'd be perfectly fine with going back to the 10 member SEC of the 80s. Play a 9 game conference schedule with 3 OOC. The two teams with the best conference records play in the SEC championship.

I'm absolutely with you. If the SEC went back to ten teams tomorrow I would be as happy as a clam - and I don't even know what that means. But the 10 or even the 12 team SEC were both better arrangements from a southern football fan perspective. I don't even need ESPN or the SEC Network. Give me CBS and the JP Game of the Week. I'd gladly take good old fashioned regional rivalries and all the rest could go to hell.

Speaking as someone who lived through some of that, it was a wonderful time for SEC football fans. Less hangers on. Less media heads flapping around giving you hot takes. Less Disney cramming dollars in the conference g-string. More football. And MUCH more regional rivalry and hate. You saw all the teams within a year or two and you played almost everyone. It kept the inter-conference rivalries sharp and fiery.

But people like us were left in the dust long ago. The SEC built itself on regional pride and rivalries, made itself the South's sport, and knows everyone will watch no matter what they do to the product these days. So here we are. And here we go.

1627088544337-png.382282

You've got to love this ta&m'er telling the us he's frustrated that it's all about the money.
Oh, wait, remind me again how much they guaranteed Jimbo in 2018...

Reactions: VolnJC
I'm absolutely with you. If the SEC went back to ten teams tomorrow I would be as happy as a clam - and I don't even know what that means. But the 10 or even the 12 team SEC were both better arrangements from a southern football fan perspective. I don't even need ESPN or the SEC Network. Give me CBS and the JP Game of the Week. I'd gladly take good old fashioned regional rivalries and all the rest could go to hell.

Speaking as someone who lived through some of that, it was a wonderful time for SEC football fans. Less hangers on. Less media heads flapping around giving you hot takes. Less Disney cramming dollars in the conference g-string. More football. And MUCH more regional rivalry and hate. You saw all the teams within a year or two and you played almost everyone. It kept the inter-conference rivalries sharp and fiery.

But people like us were left in the dust long ago. The SEC built itself on regional pride and rivalries, made itself the South's sport, and knows everyone will watch no matter what they do to the product these days. So here we are. And here we go.
tenor (50).gif

Reactions: Voltopia and vol66
Someone is upset

Checking, the new aTm President just took office on June 1 and there was an interim President for about 6 months before her who replaced the old President.

Let the "it wasn't me...." finger pointing begin.

Sankey and the SEC surely know who got emails, attended conference calls and Zoom meetings about TX and OU. I wonder how much nonsense they'll tolerate before they release evidence?

I didn't like TAMU and Mizzou joining, and if the last few days are any indication with their shenanigans, I do not want Texas anywhere near the SEC. They do have a track record of destroying every conference they join. Oklahoma seems alright, I just don't think they are a good fit for the conference.

Oh well, money talks.

Edit to add: I never really cared about playing Arkansas either, and Chicken fans annoy the hell out of me. I wouldn't miss them in the conference at all.

I live two miles from Oklahoma and have spent 40+ years watching their programs. They are deadly serious competitors. If that's not a good fit in the SEC, I don't know what is. As for the hogs, they are the world masters in whining self-pity (they've never lost a game--they've always been cheated out of it).

Checking, the new aTm President just took office on June 1 and there was an interim President for about 6 months before her who replaced the old President.

Let the "it wasn't me...." finger pointing begin.

Sankey and the SEC surely know who got emails, attended conference calls and Zoom meetings about TX and OU. I wonder how much nonsense they'll tolerate before they release evidence?
At this point who cares? If they want out, they can go back to the Big 12 😂

Why?

Cincy doesn’t even have a majority share of fan support in its own city. And financially their AD requires a massive amount of state/university funding. I don’t think they’re appealing in the least for any major conference let alone the SEC

Why not just make the SEC have a total of 20 teams with a SEC EAST and a SEC WEST. Their conference games are in their own division, winners of each division play each other for the Championship. College football is turning into a crap show just like the other sports. My opinion, as you know everyone has one, is if you are going to be in the Southeastern Conference, then you should be in the Southeastern part of the United States.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Why not just make the SEC have a total of 20 teams with a SEC EAST and a SEC WEST. Their conference games are in their own division, winners of each division play each other for the Championship. College football is turning into a crap show just like the other sports. My opinion, as you know everyone has one, is if you are going to be in the Southeastern Conference, then you should be in the Southeastern part of the United States.
It will get there.

VN Store

Back